Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] AJ v USYK

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
I’m not so sure your people’s champion wins the rematch.
Usyk won last night on his Plan A.
He probably couldn’t believe his luck.
But he has said he has other ways to fight if Joshua changed his approach.
Whatever Joshua throws at Usyk, Usyk would find a way to win.
Although surely Joshua would give a better account of himself next time.
There was little glory in his performance last night.
As for changing his back room team - He should definitely do this. What’s he got to lose? Roy Jones spoke sense analysing the fight. Maybe him.
Tony Bellend told Joshua how to fight Usyk.

Chisora told Joshua how to fight Usyk.

Get those two in your camp for the next fight and you'll have a strong chance.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Watched the fight back again, AJs tactics were poor, I'd be seriously looking at my backroom team. He was coming back until the last 3 rounds and then does his eye in and can't see a thing. I think he'll win the rematch, but need to fight his fight. Still the people's champion.
His coach was telling him to jab and keep a high guard in the last rounds. Totally wrong.

He must have known Joshua was behind and should have been telling Joshua to throw the kitchen sink at him for a knock down at the least for a 10-8 round which might have swung the decision.

Vin

Jun 12, 2021
His coach was telling him to jab and keep a high guard in the last rounds. Totally wrong.

He must have known Joshua was behind and should have been telling Joshua to throw the kitchen sink at him for a knock down at the least for a 10-8 round which might have swung the decision.

Maybe his trainer knew it was Eddie’s special judges.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Maybe his trainer knew it was Eddie’s special judges.
Eddie's special judges didn't get the script, then. Either way, Joshua should have been throwing everything he had in the last 2 rounds.

Vin

Jun 12, 2021
Eddie's special judges didn't get the script, then. Either way, Joshua should have been throwing everything he had in the last 2 rounds.

That’s what I forgot add lol. Perhaps we was relying on them. AJ needs to freshen things up and make changes.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton

That was exactly what I heard McCraken say to Joshua in the corner, 'keep behind the jab, right hand high and let him come on to you'. This I think was in round 10/11 when he was clearly losing the fight and his jab wasn't working. I couldn't believe what I was hearing! He needed to press the fight, take it to Usyk and let his hands go, it should have been shit or bust at that point.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
That was exactly what I heard McCraken say to Joshua in the corner, 'keep behind the jab, right hand high and let him come on to you'. This I think was in round 10/11 when he was clearly losing the fight and his jab wasn't working. I couldn't believe what I was hearing! He needed to press the fight, take it to Usyk and let his hands go, it should have been shit or bust at that point.
He needs to get rid of McCraken.

He holds part of the blame as to why Joshua lost with poor tactics and being unaware that he was behind on points.

Vin

Jun 12, 2021
He needs to get rid of McCraken.

He holds part of the blame as to why Joshua lost with poor tactics and being unaware that he was behind on points.

100% they always contradict each other at Press conferences. Mainly because AJ just waffles on and has no idea what he’s saying. Lots of empty words and BS. The drawing board reference made me laugh. Rob said there is no drawing board when asked by the media. AJ then said we are going back to the drawing board.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Having had all day to ponder some things appear to be dropping into place.

Forget all the Eddie Hearn BS and rhetoric, we saw last night why AJ’s management and promoter kept him away from Fury, Wilder and possibly even Whyte, as they would certainly have exposed him as Usyk did, then the genie would have been well and truly out of the lamp.

Fair play to Hearn and AJ’s handlers how many Sky Box Office shows have they squeezed out of the public and how much cash has that generated?

Is it too harsh to say AJ is boxing’s Emperors New Clothes?

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Usyk did bulk himself up for this fight. He knew after the Chisora fight he had too to compete with these massive men.
The heavy weight division is where the money is, but its worth asking should you put your body in a not natural weight for a long period to achieve these aims, when otherwise he maybe walking around at 14 stone?
Great performance though, and dismissing the saying that a good big un will always beat a good little one.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton

Forget all the Eddie Hearn BS and rhetoric, we saw last night why AJ’s management and promoter kept him away from Fury, Wilder and possibly even Whyte, as they would certainly have exposed him as Usyk did, then the genie would have been well and truly out of the lamp.

Fair play to Hearn and AJ’s handlers how many Sky Box Office shows have they squeezed out of the public and how much cash has that generated?

This is rewriting history, Joshua hasn't been kept away from anyone, he has fought Whyte so you cant claim he's avoided him and the Fury fight was signed and sealed but prevented from going ahead due to the contractural situation between Fury and Wilder.

In fact probably his downfall is that he has taken fights he shouldn't at short notice and against a style of fighter that doesn't suit - for example Ruiz. Styles make fights and I think Joshua struggles against the smaller, more mobile fighter with fast hands. Pretty much every heavyweight in history has come up against a style that they don't enjoy and all have blemishes on their records against fighters that on paper they should have beaten. Let's also reserve judgement until we find out just how good Usyk is at heavyweight, he may well end up cleaning up the division like he did at cruiserweight.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

He's the peoples champion. He's created some of the most thrilling nights in British boxing history and can sell out huge outdoor arena's for fun. It was a bad night at the office but he will bounce back, he's too good not to, he knows now what he needs to do to beat Usyk, now he needs to put it unto action in the rematch.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This is rewriting history, Joshua hasn't been kept away from anyone, he has fought Whyte so you cant claim he's avoided him and the Fury fight was signed and sealed but prevented from going ahead due to the contractural situation between Fury and Wilder.

In fact probably his downfall is that he has taken fights he shouldn't at short notice and against a style of fighter that doesn't suit - for example Ruiz. Styles make fights and I think Joshua struggles against the smaller, more mobile fighter with fast hands. Pretty much every heavyweight in history has come up against a style that they don't enjoy and all have blemishes on their records against fighters that on paper they should have beaten. Let's also reserve judgement until we find out just how good Usyk is at heavyweight, he may well end up cleaning up the division like he did at cruiserweight.

This.

AJ was Olympic Champion at the same games as Usyk and up until Ruiz had a very similar pro record. So Emperor's New Clothes is harsh.

That said I think Fury definitely beats AJ but I also think Fury would have / will beat Usyk. He won't make the mistakes AJ did if he gets a crack. But I think Fury v Wilder will be pretty close.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde

It sounded to me like that was Rob looking after AJ's future, and perhaps hoping the judges had given a 'Matchroom decision'.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I just don’t see AJ being able to change enough to beat what is a far superior boxer in Usyk.

He can try and walk through him next time and impose his strength with early big shots but we have seen time and again that AJ gasses big time when he does which is going to leave him completely vunerable to Usyks skill. Usyk will def have a game plan for AJ coming strong anyway.

The sad thing is if AJ does lose the rematch then its all over for the Fury match up. AJ will retire as just can’t see him wanting to be an also ran and it’s impossible to see how he can win a Fury fight now we’ve seen what happens to him against that sort of opponent.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
It sounded to me like that was Rob looking after AJ's future, and perhaps hoping the judges had given a 'Matchroom decision'.

Maybe, but I'm not sure thats the advice that you would want to be given in a world title fight that you are clearly losing. Effectively 'carry on doing the stuff you have been which hasn't been working just keep your right hand up a bit more'.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Looks like the Peoples Champion v Usyk is game on for Spring. Rumours of AJ stepping aside for £15m to let Usyk fight Fury but he wanted £20m. Hopefully he's changed his backroom team and will come out all guns blazing and show his true class against Usyk in the rematch.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
AJ gets stopped this time

glad the talks to step aside broke down. AJ has no right to fight Fury

Whyte deserves his shot

Then the winner of both can go head to head.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here