Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] War on Slugs

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Salt?
Copper bands?
Pellets?

How/what do you do to prevent? Most effective means please. Like the bomber, it seems the slug will always get through. The slimes have even got into the kitchen via air bricks. I need to send a message. Lawn, hedges and garage areas is ok. But stay off the patio. Don’t go near the veg or fruit. Or even think about coming in the house!

rbridd

Aug 9, 2005
Salt?
Copper bands?
Pellets?

How/what do you do to prevent? Most effective means please. Like the bomber, it seems the slug will always get through. The slimes have even got into the kitchen via air bricks. I need to send a message. Lawn, hedges and garage areas is ok. But stay off the patio. Don’t go near the veg or fruit. Or even think about coming in the house!

Beer traps are the only effective way that I have found.

Trouble is you have to clean them out and refresh the beer every day.

Slugs dance on my copper wire and party with my pellets :(

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Pellets (spread loosely and widely, not like the instructions) endeth the story. Not so good for other wildlife perhaps.

Or if you really are vicious, salt poured straight onto the buggers, but only good for the visible ones.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Salt?
Copper bands?
Pellets?

My chickens keep them under control for me.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Thank you all, will give these a go. Ta.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
hunted down a few recently, they drank all the beer and slid away . . . . had to recapture and vwent for a generous dusting of dishwasher salt. ****ers have decimated loads of stuff in the garden this year.

slugs.jpg

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
i used to launch them into next doors garden (students one side, and neglected the other) however, I kid you not- slugs and snails are "homing" and will make their way back!!

Slugs and snails prefer to feed at night when the cover of darkness gives them protection from predators like birds. Once they've found a tasty plant they will return night after night to the same place. ... Slugs and snails have a homing instinct and they will make their way back to your plot – albeit, somewhat slowly.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
i used to launch them into next doors garden (students one side, and neglected the other) however, I kid you not- slugs and snails are "homing" and will make their way back!!

Slugs and snails prefer to feed at night when the cover of darkness gives them protection from predators like birds. Once they've found a tasty plant they will return night after night to the same place. ... Slugs and snails have a homing instinct and they will make their way back to your plot – albeit, somewhat slowly.

This is fact. ^

Also true that they prefer to go uphill. They also regularly parachute onto plants from overhanging plants, if the plant they want is protected from underneath.

As an aside. I used to race snails. In an effort to speed up one of my slow ones, I took off its shell, but if anything, it made it more sluggish.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It's been quite a wet and not overly hot Summer. Slug and snail heaven, hence why they've been busier than usual.

I still refuse to use slug pellets though, because of the effect on other wildlife. Those things should be banned.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here