Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] There's no need to panic buy petrol

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Saw this from a friend on social media who is in the breakdown recovery business

"Karma is a bugger isn’t it.
So you have driven all the way from Eastbourne to Seaford to panic buy fuel then fill your car with the wrong fuel so it breaks down on east Dean road heading up to Friston ���� I shouldnt laugh but ��������"

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I'm due to collect a new car tomorrow, which as per usual will likely have almost no fuel in it. Getting a horrible feeling the first journey in it is going to end up on a hard shoulder somewhere.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm due to collect a new car tomorrow, which as per usual will likely have almost no fuel in it. Getting a horrible feeling the first journey in it is going to end up on a hard shoulder somewhere.

Take a petrol/diesel container that you filled up today?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Well I'll try and get £20's worth at 1 of the 2 garages near work this lunchtime but all hope of being successful seems long gone :nono:

Would have had only a small wait at those garages as I zoomed past them before 9. FFS.

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Thanks…..supposed to be off to Devon on holiday today…don’t have enough in the tank to get there…then of course I have to top up get back again….*ugger!

Not helped locally with the holmbush one closed again
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Worthing is mental at all places apparently. No Diesel at most of the big ones. My car valeter spent 1.5 hour trying to get some and can't, poor lad probably won't be able to work this afternoon if he can't get fuel to get over to Hove

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Well, it's well and truly under way. Sainsbury's West Hove service station closed, Crowhurst Road & Carden Avenue completely blocked by drivers trying to get to ASDA's service station.

To complete the drama, we just need another one of these;

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Worthing is mental at all places apparently. No Diesel at most of the big ones. My car valeter spent 1.5 hour trying to get some and can't, poor lad probably won't be able to work this afternoon if he can't get fuel to get over to Hove
This is the next problem... The local Facebook page for Worthing is full of posts by care workers and self employed van drivers pleading with people not to panic buy as they won't be able to visit patients or be able to work in the next few days.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Anyone on this thread NOT thinking of topping up petrol/diesel if they have less than a 1/4 of a tank?

Thought not, we are ALL panic buyers at times like this whilst slagging off others for doing it :lolol:

I am in France at the moment where there is no problem so far, first thing I did this morning was fill my tank to the brim :smile:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Anyone on this thread NOT thinking of topping up petrol/diesel if they have less than a 1/4 of a tank?

Thought not, we are ALL panic buyers at times like this whilst slagging off others for doing it :lolol:

I am in France at the moment where there is no problem so far, first thing I did this morning was fill my tank to the brim :smile:

I thought about it - but pointless now, and wasn't fussed enough last night to try and do it.

We have a wedding in the Cotswold next Wednesday and I have 1/4 tank, but I would hope by early next week this is all blown over.

Perhaps all the petrol stations should increase to £2/litre and then we look at how many people really need fuel

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Heads need to roll over creating this self fulfilling scare story in the press.

Completely agree with this. Whilst there’s always going to be the odd idiot who goes too far, you can’t really lay blame at the feet of the general public.

What is the correct individual response to suggestions in the national media that people may be panic buying an essential commodity? Not panic buying? It’s all we and good, but the likelihood is that most others still will, and so you end up losing out, atop the moral high horse or not.

As soon as you ask people not to panic buy in the mainstream media, one thing and one thing only is going to happen.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Doing the weekly shop around Tesco this evening, listening to 5Live, it was mentioned that some BP and Shell garages were closed as they were unable to get fuel to them, due to that lorry driver shortage thing. The BBC had spoken to all of the major supermarket chains and none of them were experiencing the same issue.

A short while later I exited the store and did genuinely need petrol as the warning light had come on a day or two back.

What did I see? Yes, a ****ing great big queue of cars at the petrol station.

Is there anything that will get people to panic buy more than being told not to panic buy? ****ing ridiculous.

Anyway, I'm sorted now and, from here, will top-up each and every day. You can't be too careful, can you?

I didnt quite get this when I first read it, Having filled my car last night at an Asda with normal levels of cars at the pumps.... but just dropped the better half off to the hairdresser and on the way back I drove past a petrol station that isnt manned with pay at pumps only, I use it fairly regulary.....4 pumps - 8 cars both sides is the max at any one time and the most I have ever seen at any one time is about 3-4 cars max, its never that busy as a bit pricier........ Right now all pumps taken and queue about 15-20 cars a good many metres into the road thats slowing all traffic.

Like effing Lemmings. It really is happening.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1441340407816749058[/tweet]

I notice the pictures are from Brighton and Tonbridge, not sure if this is an entirely south east phenomenon or just reflects the home counties bias of the Mail though TBH

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here