Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] There's no need to panic buy petrol

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Self fulfilling, the media exaggeration trick always works and then the hoarding sheep will follow.

In the past; loo rolls, paracetamol, disinfectant wipes (that great pandemic solution).

If the media are reporting shortages it is perfectly rational to buy. I don’t think that makes people ‘hoarding sheep.’ I filled up yesterday evening but I had been meaning to for a few days. It was busy but I just assumed it was usual Friday evening business.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I blame the media. Ridiculous to run this story when it is not a major issue. Out of the the 1,200 garages each that BP and ESSO have hardly any are closed. It’s a non story, but by running it (and most as a scaremongering headline) they know they are creating panic buying which they can then further report on. It’s just bloody irresponsible.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
There absolutely is a driver shortage, and it is having an effect. The husband of one of my work colleagues, is a tanker driver at the Esso refinery in Fawley. He hasn’t had a day off in weeks, beyond the legally stipulated rest days, as they are basically being asked to name their price to do overtime and work their days off.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
If the media are reporting shortages it is perfectly rational to buy. I don’t think that makes people ‘hoarding sheep.’ I filled up yesterday evening but I had been meaning to for a few days. It was busy but I just assumed it was usual Friday evening business.

Wow you filled up a day early, now that’s panic buying

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I just saw somebody in a supermarket buying a sombrero, an 18 pack of Corona and some paella...

I thought to myself, 'I can't believe it. Hispanic buying!'

I saw someone in my local deli sticking up on sausage and cheese….he was preparing for a wurst käse scenario.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Today programme R4...

Transport Minister Grant Shapps (that guy that used to flog get rich schemes under the name Michael Green) tells Nick Robinson that Brexit is helping alleviate the driver shortage as we can now test more drivers as we're no longer constrained by EU rules.

Keep flogging the snake oil...

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
The main stream media love a bit of drama, it was the same with all the bullshit about no food in the shops and last years bog roll famine. These ****ing shills need to give their heads a wobble.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
The main stream media love a bit of drama, it was the same with all the bullshit about no food in the shops and last years bog roll famine. These ****ing shills need to give their heads a wobble.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To be fair, this has been forewarned for a while, with the FT running a long article back in May predicting all this

"An exodus of EU lorry drivers from the UK since Brexit has left the British haulage and logistics industry facing an acute staff shortage and a looming crisis for industrial and retail deliveries, the sector has warned.

Industry associations and leading UK freight companies said that unless urgent steps were taken to address shortages, strains now visible within the industry would become evident to the public by the end of the summer."

https://www.ft.com/content/4d6b3be1-627e-4784-afc5-91da326cabdc

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
To be fair, this has been forewarned for a while, with the FT running a long article back in May predicting all this

"An exodus of EU lorry drivers from the UK since Brexit has left the British haulage and logistics industry facing an acute staff shortage and a looming crisis for industrial and retail deliveries, the sector has warned.

Industry associations and leading UK freight companies said that unless urgent steps were taken to address shortages, strains now visible within the industry would become evident to the public by the end of the summer."

https://www.ft.com/content/4d6b3be1-627e-4784-afc5-91da326cabdc
It might finally hit home in 2 months time when millions sit down to a Christmas Dinner of a microwaved jacket Potato..

Blazing Apostle

Jul 30, 2011
after hearing Grant Shapps on radio just now I immediately joined the quue for Texaco...could not get near Sainsburys at Hove.....was on empty in my defence

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
my local petrol station empty, normal delivery overnight gone by 8:30. well done media.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
This happens every time.

There is a small problem, that gets overhyped by an over excited media, and all of a sudden everyone panics. It becomes a self fulfilling prophesy and a herd instinct kicks in.

The first time I remember this happening was with sugar in the mid 1970s - one report on the BBC and the supermarket shelves emptied next day.

How may petrol stations had to close before the hype - not many.......

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Not been fun this morning. Can’t find any petrol and down to 8 miles. If anyone has found any in around hailsham would love to hear about it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here