Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] There's no need to panic buy petrol

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Currently setting out their stall.

Yeh i'm not crazed either, but got to be better than 5 more years of this lot

My big concern is the constant request on all of these politics shows for Labour to cost their well intentioned plans.

The response 99% of the time is 'figures are being worked out and costed, ready for the next election'

We'll see.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I'll pose the exam question a different way. In the same circumstances but with one exception - the UK still being in the EU - how different would today's front pages look?

If we are having exam questions, just for completeness please can we include how different the front pages would be if May's Brexit deal had been voted through. Thanks.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
In no particular order......

Fallout from Brexit
Immigration rules
Fallout form covid
Drivers getting old and leaving
Drivers not getting old, but still leaving
Complete lack of foresight and contingency planning by central government (see all above)
Media frenzy (especially media frenzy)
Great British public - never underestimate their capacity for total stupidity, naivety, and willingness to believe anything and everything somebody has told them regardless of whether it is real or imagined
Herd instinct and panic......

PS - not sure about the shortage of divers though (lack of oceans?).

Changes to the IR35 rules was mentioned on the radio this morning as a major reason that drivers have left. Also working conditions - lack of toilets and shower facilities and lack of overnight truck stops.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Went to work at Tesco at 4:30 this morning, the tanker for the petrol station was already there.

BBC saying that thousands of petrol stations have run out of fuel. Not sure how true that is now as one guy mentioned that when he drove home last night all 7 petrol stations he passed were closed. All 7 were open again when he drove passed this morning.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
If we are having exam questions, just for completeness please can we include how different the front pages would be if May's Brexit deal had been voted through. Thanks.

Indeed. The deliberate obstruction of that deal led to the election of Boris. Now the same people (on both sides of the political divide) who supported opposition to that deal spend their time complaining about Boris and his missteps.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Will be interesting to see what happens when all this blows over and the next election comes around. Will the great British public kick Johnson and his cronies out or develop their usual selective memories, hold their noses and re elect this shower for the foreseeable future. Don't know why, but my money is on the latter.

I'm a centrist - and long for a viable alternative to what must be the worst Govt (and definitely the worst cabinet in my memory)

What is such a shame is that the Labour Party have spent the weekend infighting about how MPs/Leadership are selected/elected rather than try and spell out their policies (and more importantly how they will pay for them)

It's the likes of me that Starmer needs to get on board - and the likes of Angela Rayner are not helping him.

As for the LibDems - they recently won a stunning By-Election - yet nobody knows what they stand for. Feeble is an understatement.

I actually have no one to vote for at the moment.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Will be interesting to see what happens when all this blows over and the next election comes around. Will the great British public kick Johnson and his cronies out or develop their usual selective memories, hold their noses and re elect this shower for the foreseeable future. Don't know why, but my money is on the latter.

Going off on a tangent here but no, I can't imagine anyone voting for this shower of shit, equally Labour currently aren't much of a better option. No self respecting Albion fan would ever vote Lib Dem and the Greens really are a party of loons as shown by how they run B&H Council. So who to vote for ?

For the first time in my life, and Mrs WS and I discussed this last night, I may not vote at the next GE.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I'm a centrist - and long for a viable alternative to what must be the worst Govt (and definitely the worst cabinet in my memory)

What is such a shame is that the Labour Party have spent the weekend infighting about how MPs/Leadership are selected/elected rather than try and spell out their policies (and more importantly how they will pay for them)

It's the likes of me that Starmer needs to get on board - and the likes of Angela Rayner are not helping him.

As for the LibDems - they recently won a stunning By-Election - yet nobody knows what they stand for. Feeble is an understatement.

I actually have no one to vote for at the moment.

I imagine a lot of people are in your position, completely alienated by this current government but not seeing any other options on the table.

One of the things I always like about the UK compared to the States is that it wasn't a two party system, the way things are going it is in danger of becoming a one party system.

Initially I thought Starmer was a breath of fresh air after the Corbyn shambles, but not so sure now.

Labour complains, rightly so, about the biased media in the UK. But then someone like Angela Rayner plays right into their hands.

They have the talent and time to turn this round if they choose but, as you say, they have to stop their petty infighting and show to the electorate they can be trusted

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Went to work at Tesco at 4:30 this morning, the tanker for the petrol station was already there.

BBC saying that thousands of petrol stations have run out of fuel. Not sure how true that is now as one guy mentioned that when he drove home last night all 7 petrol stations he passed were closed. All 7 were open again when he drove passed this morning.

and this is the problem with how this is being reported, its creating more and more panic buying. the radio on your way home says "thousands of stations closed" and you pass one that happens to be open, you have half a tank, enough for a week maybe or longer. Normally you would carry on by, and not even think about filling up but given that "thousands" are closed you wait in line and top up and with thousands of others doing the same, cause more fuel to be sold than would normally be the case and thus the station runs out and is added to the list of Thousands closed and here we go again

Why don't the Media say that of the thousands closed yesterday- thousands have reopened today-that way people wont have quite the urge to fill up half full cars, the stations remain open longer and the whole thing goes away

This is a case of the media creating the story by stating "Petrol stations closing due to no deliveries" when in fact it was just a few temporary closing by ONE company, causing thousands people to fill up unnecessarily and therefore creating the shortage they reported on.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Good news- Petrol retailers are saying it will all be over by Thurs / Fri - once all the people who didn’t need to fill up have filled up.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Going off on a tangent here but no, I can't imagine anyone voting for this shower of shit, equally Labour currently aren't much of a better option. No self respecting Albion fan would ever vote Lib Dem and the Greens really are a party of loons as shown by how they run B&H Council. So who to vote for ?

For the first time in my life, and Mrs WS and I discussed this last night, I may not vote at the next GE.

Looking at your situation, it seems you are punishing a good MP, Caroline Lucas, for something she has no control over. Vote for the candidate, not the party.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
and this is the problem with how this is being reported, its creating more and more panic buying. the radio on your way home says "thousands of stations closed" and you pass one that happens to be open, you have half a tank, enough for a week maybe or longer. Normally you would carry on by, and not even think about filling up but given that "thousands" are closed you wait in line and top up and with thousands of others doing the same, cause more fuel to be sold than would normally be the case and thus the station runs out and is added to the list of Thousands closed and here we go again

Why don't the Media say that of the thousands closed yesterday- thousands have reopened today-that way people wont have quite the urge to fill up half full cars, the stations remain open longer and the whole thing goes away

This is a case of the media creating the story by stating "Petrol stations closing due to no deliveries" when in fact it was just a few temporary closing by ONE company, causing thousands people to fill up unnecessarily and therefore creating the shortage they reported on.

In the meantime, the politicians are gleefully pointing at the public, blaming them for the shortages. It's all dead cats and sleight of hand.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Looking at your situation, it seems you are punishing a good MP, Caroline Lucas, for something she has no control over. Vote for the candidate, not the party.

I agree with you .... other than I can't actually vote for Caroline Lucas.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
It's getting serious now, they've called off the Lewes game tomorrow night
https://twitter.com/LewesFCMen/status/1442443641381867520?s=20

I know there are far more serious implications of the current situation but if things don't correct themselves in the next few days I can see next weekend's league programme being impacted too. If players can't get to training and if stewards, safety officers, officials and all the other match day staff required to get a game on can't travel to stadiums then postponements seem inevitable. Hopefully, as posted above, things might be back to something more like normal by the end of the week?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

Also, the people involved 25 years ago are all gone now. One way or another. There's no Albion related reason not to vote for them.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I agree with you .... other than I can't actually vote for Caroline Lucas.

Ok, then Peter Kyle, who has stood up to the Labour Party in his time. He is another good MP.

That's the problem with holding grudges. I didn't like Norman Baker because of his opposition to the stadium, but I did vote LD last time to try to get rid of the Tory who is a sycophant, even voting against pay rises for nurses, despite being a nurse herself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here