Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] There's no need to panic buy petrol

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Doing the weekly shop around Tesco this evening, listening to 5Live, it was mentioned that some BP and Shell garages were closed as they were unable to get fuel to them, due to that lorry driver shortage thing. The BBC had spoken to all of the major supermarket chains and none of them were experiencing the same issue.

A short while later I exited the store and did genuinely need petrol as the warning light had come on a day or two back.

What did I see? Yes, a ****ing great big queue of cars at the petrol station.

Is there anything that will get people to panic buy more than being told not to panic buy? ****ing ridiculous.

Anyway, I'm sorted now and, from here, will top-up each and every day. You can't be too careful, can you?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'm off down the local petrol station in the morning with a bowser I tow behind the car.

Not sure how I'm going to separate the petrol and diesel I need for the 2 cars and Campervan, but I'm sure I'll find a way

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
once again the media reporting an issue irresponsibly. i watch the story earlier, starts off "petrol shortages!", then its affecting BP, moved to problem is petrol cant get to the pumps, then moved to this is affecting in a few forecourts. ffs.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I just saw somebody in a supermarket buying a sombrero, an 18 pack of Corona and some paella...

I thought to myself, 'I can't believe it. Hispanic buying!'

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I panicked and plugged my car in even though it’s got about 180 miles left in it the battery.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Wasn't going to make it home with the fuel in the tank tonight. Got to the first BP garage and it was closed with a yellow sold out clipped to every hose. A mile down the road and the esso was busier than normal but there were two pumps free. Parked up only to notice the yellow swing tickets on the unleaded hose. A quick glance around the forecourt and I noticed every unleaded hose had the same big yellow swing ticket. Was disappointed as I lifted the £1.47 a litre premium hose but it had to be done. Just in time I noticed all the yellow swing tickets were actually warnings about E10 petrol. About as well timed as face recognition technology being introduced when we all started wearing masks. Ended up filling the tank cheaper than usual.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Yet again, just as we saw at the outset of of Covid, this is a media-borne issue. The shortage is created not by the issue at the heart of the original story, but the panic that ensues from it. People don't trust other people not to be dickheads, and so they become one themselves. I include myself in this, because I've been out tonight to fill mine and my wife's car up because I can see the potential fallout from collective public idiocy.

Of course, in doing this I recognise that I am a part of the problem. But that's it, a tiny, individual part of the problem. The catalyst is the clickbait whore that is modern media - I understand that they have their own commercial pressures and are trying to make money like any other business out there right now, but they do have power and influence, and with that comes a certain responsibility. There should be legal ramifications for any outlet that irresponsibly and needlessly triggers a threat to national infrastructure.

The c*nts.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Doing the weekly shop around Tesco this evening, listening to 5Live, it was mentioned that some BP and Shell garages were closed as they were unable to get fuel to them, due to that lorry driver shortage thing. The BBC had spoken to all of the major supermarket chains and none of them were experiencing the same issue.

A short while later I exited the store and did genuinely need petrol as the warning light had come on a day or two back.

What did I see? Yes, a ****ing great big queue of cars at the petrol station.

Is there anything that will get people to panic buy more than being told not to panic buy? ****ing ridiculous.

Anyway, I'm sorted now and, from here, will top-up each and every day. You can't be too careful, can you?

Err ..... cough .........

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Err ..... cough .........

That bit was a joke because...

1) I felt the need to insert a joke.
2) We do very few miles, so our now full tank (and the low fuel warning light HAD been on for a day or two) will last a month, probably more.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Today it cost me 50p to pump my tyres up at the petrol station.

Last month, it was only 20p.

I guess that's the price of inflation.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That bit was a joke because...

1) I felt the need to insert a joke.
2) We do very few miles, so our now full tank (and the low fuel warning light HAD been on for a day or two) will last a month, probably more.

Yes, I did guess. Should have added an appropriate emoji! :facepalm:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Yet again, just as we saw at the outset of of Covid, this is a media-borne issue. The shortage is created not by the issue at the heart of the original story, but the panic that ensues from it. People don't trust other people not to be dickheads, and so they become one themselves. I include myself in this, because I've been out tonight to fill mine and my wife's car up because I can see the potential fallout from collective public idiocy.

Of course, in doing this I recognise that I am a part of the problem. But that's it, a tiny, individual part of the problem. The catalyst is the clickbait whore that is modern media - I understand that they have their own commercial pressures and are trying to make money like any other business out there right now, but they do have power and influence, and with that comes a certain responsibility. There should be legal ramifications for any outlet that irresponsibly and needlessly triggers a threat to national infrastructure.

The c*nts.

Don’t beat yourself, we all know where you’re coming from. Nature’s law needs changing from survival of the fittest to survival of the dumbest…before wiping themselves out because there’s no smart people to provide for them anymore after the former cleared out everything in a panic!

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
It’s a handful of stations closed but media whipping up a panic to fuel the problem so they can write more sensationalist stories

51bfe9c66ee7eae5da9a3c4d3d17a026.png

f4cbd08d6af227018e3245f87400839f.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here