Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Beer in the stands?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
07422DAC-CB2E-41D0-9075-EECCF6AC773C.jpeg

Just seen this on twitter.

What are the thoughts on this, is it likely, and is it a good idea.

Personally, I’m torn on this, I’d enjoy a pint watching the game, but, not too keen on some one going out to the bar 3 or 4 times a half, pushing past you and possibly spilling beer all over you.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Surely, if they did it, the bars would be closed during the match anyway. I wouldn't mind not having to down my pint in 30 seconds at half time, having queued for the previous 14 minutes.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Surely, if they did it, the bars would be closed during the match anyway. I wouldn't mind not having to down my pint in 30 seconds at half time, having queued for the previous 14 minutes.

I don’t think they’re closed now during the game. I may be wrong, but when I have had to go for a piss, during play they seem to be open.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Has to be this………it’s bad enough now with ****s arriving after ko, and leaving on 42 and 86 mins ‘to get a pint’.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
When standing sections return, fine. For private boxes, fine. In the main seating areas, a glass of wine, yes. A pint of donkey piss lager to spill, and cause repeated bladder emptyings, no. Stinking Macky D's burgers, no. Other noxious shite, **** off.

This is called the sliding scale of common sense.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not for me, Clive. I sat in the WSL for a beamback once, and as mentioned, you're CONSTANTLY getting up and down for a bunch of herberts going back and forth to the bar, then back and forth for a piss (especially in the 2nd half). Its an absolute ballache.

I can quite easily survive 2 x 45 minutes without the need for a wobbly plastic pint in my hand, which is likely to get spilled all over the gaff anyway.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Erm, how long before:

1. Other fans complain about getting soaked in beer
2. Football fans overtake cricket with the longest plastic glass snake
3. Full pint is thrown at an away player or bench

Can't see it happening.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Erm, how long before:

1. Other fans complain about getting soaked in beer
2. Football fans overtake cricket with the longest plastic glass snake
3. Full pint is thrown at an away player or bench

Can't see it happening.

Unfortunately, I can see it happening.

Huge income stream for the clubs, say 30,000 crowd, sell an extra 10,000 pints at a fiver a throw (no pun intended) 50 grand, 18 times a season , that’s nearly a million extra a year. That may not be a lot for the PL clubs, but the Championship would lap it up.

Edit: 23 home games in the Championship.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
bit torn. it is possibly the most childish rule i know of, and i dislike the necking of a beer before allowed my seat, i dont really need the spillage or disruptions of bar runners either. i feel i want the ban lifted on principle but have a no beer rule in selected stands, maybe close the bar for 30 minutes.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Works fine elsewhere. Sure, a few more incidents but also a few more decibel.

Try it for a season. If its problematic, remove it.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Huge income stream for the clubs, say 30,000 crowd, sell an extra 10,000 pints at a fiver a throw (no pun intended) 50 grand, 18 times a season , that’s nearly a million extra a year. That may not be a lot for the PL clubs, but the Championship would lap it up.

Don’t need to be on Dragons Den to point out that your projected revenues assume the club receives £5 for every pint sold. For that reason I’m out.

Last edited:

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Unfortunately, the current trend of chucking beer all over everyone means I’m not in favour of this. Up until that became a thing, I would have supported it wholeheartedly.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Club won't see much they don't sell the beer the catering company do

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
I don’t think they’re closed now during the game. I may be wrong, but when I have had to go for a piss, during play they seem to be open.

As far as I know, they're open for people who can't go 45 minutes without ramming a pie into their face, but not for people who need a pint every half hour to get through the day. I can't remember the exact timings that alcohol can be served in, it's something like from 5minutes before half time and full time.

Changing that rule would be crap. Just being allowed to carry a pint to your seat to reduce the rush before kick off should be fine.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Unfortunately, the current trend of chucking beer all over everyone means I’m not in favour of this. Up until that became a thing, I would have supported it wholeheartedly.

Doesn't help that bbc and itv pretty much encourage it during the euros/World Cup by showing clips of fanzones etc up and down the country where pints are being luzzed everywhere after a goal. When did it become a trend!? I don't remember it happening much in my younger days late 90s/ 2000s when I attended fan zone style places during WCups etc

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Club won't see much they don't sell the beer the catering company do

When I read the article earlier, it had more to do with the clubs further down making the transition from being able to sell alcohol (and making a decent portion of their relatively small income that way) getting promoted and having that revenue stream cut down.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here