Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] What to do with two days in Edinburgh?

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Apologies in advance for those that find these travel threads tedious...

I'm going to Scotland with work in November for 2 weeks for some kind of climate change festival. We are being put up in a hotel near Edinburgh (not in the city itself) and I will get two seperate lots of 2 days off.

Having just had a baby (well the mrs actually had it) and unlikely to get much time to myself in the coming years, I'd really like to make the most of my days off up there.

Can anyone recommend something or a few things to do to fill my days off? Do they do a stadium tour at Parkhead and if so has anyone been and can say if it's any good? I'm not into museums, art or politics but quite like the outdoors, military stuff, railways, animals and cars.
I thought about buying a train ticket and buggering off to Fort William for a pint!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

I'm going to Scotland with work in November for 2 weeks for some kind of climate change festival. We are being put up in a hotel near Edinburgh (not in the city itself) and I will get two seperate lots of 2 days off.

Having just had a baby (well the mrs actually had it) and unlikely to get much time to myself in the coming years, I'd really like to make the most of my days off up there.

Can anyone recommend something or a few things to do to fill my days off? Do they do a stadium tour at Parkhead and if so has anyone been and can say if it's any good? I'm not into museums, art or politics but quite like the outdoors, military stuff, railways, animals and cars.
I thought about buying a train ticket and buggering off to Fort William for a pint!

We got a lot of tips from here.....

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?343956-O-T-Edinburgh&highlight=Edinburgh

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Ghost tour is good

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

[MENTION=11767]Aristotle[/MENTION] is your go to for info on Edinburgh.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Brilliant place, been there loads (with my work, and daughter went to Uni there…..or still is, kind of)……….would echo some of the other suggestions (including the Ghost Tour). Arthur’s Seat is really worth the walk if the weather is good (your outdoors thing, fantastic views), the Castle is a must-see (military), The Zoo is excellent, Grassmarket for pubs etc and Britannia in Leith is good (and Tom Kitchin’s restaurant if you can get a booking). The Royal Mile is a bit overloaded with tourist tat shops but still worth a wander along. I also like The Meadows (park/open space) for a bit of relative piece and quiet and the architecture of the surroundings is interesting. Public transport is very good everywhere, roving bus tickets are good value.

Are you at COP26 first two weeks in November ? Thought it was more Glasgow based………suspect hotel capacity means loads will be in Edi as well !

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Arthur’s seat, teuchter’s landing great pub in leith. Avoid scran and scallie, very over rated.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
I think both Parkhead and Hampden (Scottish football museum) have tours. Also go and visit a distillery, there are lowland ones near Edinburgh

Heffle Gull

JCL since 1979
Feb 5, 2004
Heathfield
If you want to get out of Edinburgh then a train trip down to Berwick on Tweed is worth doing. The walk round the town walls is packed with history and you can spot seals from the harbour arm.

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Chill out around Leith - great bars & restaurants.
Ditto Grassmarket in the city.
Walk up to Arthur’s Seat to clear the hangover
:thumbsup:

Edit: try The Witchery restaurant on the Royal Mile - different & worth a try

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
One of my favourite cities in the world. Was thrilled when my son did his Masters at Heriot-Watt. My daughter also performed at the Festival a couple of years ago.

Another vote for Britannia. Royal Botanical Gardens also worth a look. If you like walking, get the train from Waverley out to Curriehill and do the Waters of Leith. It’s one of my absolute favourites. Google it if interested - I can’t do it justice here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Drugs.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Well congrats on having a Junior, Junior ….loads of ideas given by people..just don’t go gluing yourself to the road

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
Arthur’s seat, teuchter’s landing great pub in leith. Avoid scran and scallie, very over rated.

Beg to differ. Great food and being a sticky toffee pudding fan this was up there with the very best. A pint of very nice craft beer was not unreasonable at £5.50. Scran and Sallie gets my vote.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here