Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Lewes Bonfire Societies

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'm sure there must be people on here from the societies, so can anyone reassure us that the Lewes Bonfire Societies have already got their fireworks delivered and in storage ?

Bonfire Night at risk as fireworks hit by Brexit supply issues, with predictions of 70 per cent fall in stock

Fireworks have become the latest item to be hit by Brexit supply chain shortages, with one company predicting a 70 per cent plunge in the industry-wide stock. A wholesale company based in Doncaster has warned that there won’t be enough fireworks for the usual Bonfire Night celebrations, and that price rises are inevitable.

Most fireworks are imported from China, and prior to Brexit, the UK could use a code associated with the manufacturing site in China to identify and trace the explosives as they made their way to British shelves. However, now the UK isn’t within the EU, importers depend on whichever EU member state the explosives go through to pass on the code.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/fireworks-brexit-supply-issues-shortages-b1924745.html

It's just that I now how much work goes on all year round from huge numbers of people in Lewes, and after the cancellation of last year's event, I really hope we can get everything back on track for this great Sussex and British tradition.

sussex-flag-std.jpg

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'm sure there must be people on here from the societies, so can anyone reassure us that the Various Lewes Bonfire Societies have already got their fireworks delivered and in storage ?

Bonfire Night at risk as fireworks hit by Brexit supply issues, with predictions of 70 per cent fall in stock

Fireworks have become the latest item to be hit by Brexit supply chain shortages, with one company predicting a 70 per cent plunge in the industry-wide stock. A wholesale company based in Doncaster has warned that there won’t be enough fireworks for the usual Bonfire Night celebrations, and that price rises are inevitable.

Most fireworks are imported from China, and prior to Brexit, the UK could use a code associated with the manufacturing site in China to identify and trace the explosives as they made their way to British shelves. However, now the UK isn’t within the EU, importers depend on whichever EU member state the explosives go through to pass on the code.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/fireworks-brexit-supply-issues-shortages-b1924745.html

It's just that I now how much work goes on all year round from huge numbers of people in Lewes, and after the cancellation of last year's event, I really hope we can get everything back on track for this great Sussex and British tradition.

red-river-of-fire-lewes-bonfire.jpgs-l500.jpg

Last edited:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
At last Brexit is good for one thing...

About time this antiquated religious bullshite & pageantry is put to bed....
why people still march through street antagonising each other and lighting fires burning effigies of people long gone, is beyond me.

Last edited:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Oh no, damn Brexit....

I love religious bigotry & pageantry....
people love a good march through streets antagonising each other and lighting fires burning effigies of people long gone, it's so cool.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Me too, but l'm afraid that l can't stand, or see the point of, fireworks.

I fear a deluge of abuse, but l would be happy for the Lewes Bonfire "celebrations" to be culled permanently :eek:.

Whilst it very much plays second fiddle to Halloween at that period in the calendar and indeed the run up to Xmas, it is still a great occasion enjoyed by families the length and breadth of the nation.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
my god the Indi website has become a hot mess of shite. crashed browser due to memory, 2nd go running 25% CPU.

so i havent read the article, someone on right of the curve will have to explain whats different? Shirley the code and other details get passed along supply chain either way?

in my day lots of societies imported their own stuff through the place on the Broyle, dont know if thats still happens after it burnt down.

Last edited:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Oh dear, the weirdos who don't like bonfire have crawled out from under their rocks.

If someone disagrees with your opinion does that make them a "weirdo" ?
If someone has a different opinion to me, they are welcome to it, and could even persuade me change my "weirdo" mind.

#happytobeaweirdo :)

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
At last Brexit is good for one thing...

About time this antiquated religious bullshite & pageantry is put to bed....
why people still march through street antagonising each other and lighting fires burning effigies of people long gone, is beyond me.

Where the f*ck are you going where people antagonise each other on bonfire night?

exKT17

Nov 27, 2016
Argyll & Bute
That’ll please Sussex Police.

They’ve been on a 40 year crusade to dampen it, stop free movement of folk to visit Lewes and have an enjoyable evening.

The police have genuine reasons to be very worried about the fireworks - there is something which could happen - which I will not detail - which would result in a vast logistical problem, not just for Lewes. The event is extremely vulnerable to ne'er-do-wells and worse, however much it may mean to locals & traditionalists, however much fun it may be.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
If someone disagrees with your opinion does that make them a "weirdo" ?
If someone has a different opinion to me, they are welcome to it, and could even persuade me change my "weirdo" mind.

#happytobeaweirdo :)

If you're happy to be a weirdo, have you considered moving to Lewes ?

I think if a town full of pyromaniacs decide to inbreed it should be nobody's business but their own :shrug:

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
The police have genuine reasons to be very worried about the fireworks - there is something which could happen - which I will not detail - which would result in a vast logistical problem, not just for Lewes. The event is extremely vulnerable to ne'er-do-wells and worse, however much it may mean to locals & traditionalists, however much fun it may be.

oh do behave, exactly what unplausible bullshit have you swallowed hook line and sinker?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here