Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] On this day in 1992

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
We played Man Utd in the League Cup at The Goldstone and a certain David Beckham made his debut.

I wonder how many of us who were there that night could imagine how differently the fortunes of both clubs would be over the next 20 or so years, especially the journey that we have been on in getting back to the top tier of English Football.

https://www.manutd.com/en/videos/detail/remember-david-beckham-debut-v-brighton-1992

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Screenshot 2021-09-23 at 13.40.37.png

Handball!!!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Those shorts.:sick::eek:

How your memory plays tricks, I was convinced that finished1-0 to them, and I was there!

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I was there! I even distinctly remember the skinny, spotty kid who would become Golden Balls coming on, mainly due to the relief that he was replacing the rather good future Albion legend Andrei Kanchelkskis.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
So many thoughts. One of the most obvious to me is the 'accent' of commentator being the Queens English / toff / posh. To me, 1992 doesn't seem that long ago but how much things have changed.

Oh and yea, those shorts :eek:

Chopera

Apr 23, 2021
The only time I ever stood in the East stand. I can't remember why, but one of our group was a Man Utd supporter (from Kent) so I guess we might have gone for a more neutral stand (it didn't feel like an away stand). My only memory was of how all the Manchester United players were in the ref's face all the time. The likes of Ince and Hughes constantly complaining about every decision that went against them. Obviously Ferguson had trained them to do it, because he was always pressurising refs as well. Up until then I had been indifferent towards Man Utd, because they never won much, and at least they weren't Liverpool or Arsenal. Ferguson managed to change all that.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I was in the North Stand for this one. Beckham was welcomed onto the pitch with the chant "Who the f*cking hell are you ?"

Well then.

I went to the return leg at OT, which was a bit crap as there was no Stretford End at the time, it had been demolished in prep for the new stand to be built.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I was in the North Stand for this one. Beckham was welcomed onto the pitch with the chant "Who the f*cking hell are you ?"

Clearly audible on this version. Was there as well so pretty sure I would have been joining in :thumbsup: :lolol:

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Well then.

I went to the return leg at OT, which was a bit crap as there was no Stretford End at the time, it had been demolished in prep for the new stand to be built.

I was also there and remember getting spat on.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Ah man. Was there too, and this brings back memories. Especially that replay from the camera at the back of the North Stand, it’s like standing where I used to stand. Shit when time suddenly reminds you how fast it all goes.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
South West for me.

Prime position to see how fast Kanchelskis was and how easily Chappers popped him in his pocket.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here