Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] credit card payments

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I've got a CC which I pay off every month. The balance is now about 90% of the limit and the payment is due 1/10.
Think is, I'm going on hols next week and would like to have a couple of £k on my card that I can spend if I have to.
If I pay the balance off early, will they still take the direct debit as well, or will it just show as paid now ?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I've got a CC which I pay off every month. The balance is now about 90% of the limit and the payment is due 1/10.
Think is, I'm going on hols next week and would like to have a couple of £k on my card that I can spend if I have to.
If I pay the balance off early, will they still take the direct debit as well, or will it just show as paid now ?

Surely you just pay the balance less what the normal DD is!

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field

Depends on who the card provider is. If you give them a call early enough and make a manual payment, they should be able to prevent the regular direct debit being taken.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

I don't know about your card - I have a small DD on my card - it's just there so that I don't incur a penalty if I forget to make a payment one month. It's never been used yet - but best check with your your card company. They might have different rules.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
In the past (for big purchases), I've just phoned up and asked them to up my limit and they've done it while I'm on the phone

DanR

Dec 26, 2020
Peasmarsh
I have a Tesco CC and also pay off the full monthly balance due. However if after I've received the monthly bill I want to make a payment before the DD is taken that amount is deducted from the balance due and the DD is reduced when taken.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
if you have online account it should tell you

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Depends on the cut off date as well………normally the DD would be adjusted if you make a payment but not if v close to the payment date. I’d just give them a call if it’s not obvious online.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If you have a DD to pay it off in full every month and pay it off in full before the DD is due why would they then take the DD, as your balance would be nil when the DD is due?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
No disrespect, but there's a phone number on the back of your credit card which may be more help than NSC in this instance.:)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Last edited:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
No disrespect, but there's a phone number on the back of your credit card which may be more help than NSC in this instance.:)

Normally I would agree but it's sainsburys and they are terrible to get hold of at the best of times; I've only got thier credit card to get nectar points.

Anyway I paid a big lump off the balance, if they still take the full amount via the DD I'll not lost out as we'll spend it on holiday.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Any cards I have had/use reset the direct debit to zero if I pay over that or the the full balance a week or so before the dd is due. Dont have a sainsbury's one though.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020

The OP got his first answer (which may not have been helpful), within 3 minutes of posting this question.

I guarantee he would have been sitting in a telephone queue MUCH longer than that, and wouldn't have got any hilarity in the process!

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014

I work in payments. What bank are you with? Any ‘decent’ issuer will not collect a DD as long as you make your manual payment at least 24hrs before. The real question is, is your DD set up for a fixed amount (this will collect unless you ask to stop it) or is it setup to collect any outstanding balance? I regularly make manual payments and the bank nev double dips on me, BUT, my DD is setup to collect any outstanding balance. Hope that helps.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I work in payments. What bank are you with? Any ‘decent’ issuer will not collect a DD as long as you make your manual payment at least 24hrs before. The real question is, is your DD set up for a fixed amount (this will collect unless you ask to stop it) or is it setup to collect any outstanding balance? I regularly make manual payments and the bank nev double dips on me, BUT, my DD is setup to collect any outstanding balance. Hope that helps.

Sainsburys. As previously metioned it's about the best for cashback rewards, albeit in the form of nectar points, but it's a woeful bank (long queues when ringing, no Apple pay support, canned responses on twitter etc).
I paid £2.5k last night so my available spend is now enough. The ramaining balance (since the bill) is more than the upcoming DD so, whatever happens, I will have spending power if I need it and wont end up paying more off than I owe.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
The one thing to remember with DDs- is that the instructions are sent to the bank up to TWO weeks before payment is due. It wont be taken from your account till the due date but once the instruction has been sent the DD originator (Card Company in this case) can NOT change it

So if you make a payment after the DD has been sent to the bank, you will have the full amount taken a second time unless you instruct the bank otherwise, the issue with that is that there is a pretty good chance that your DD will be cancelled in error by the bank, or that on rejecting the payment the credit card company automatically resubmits the DD Request. This is all done with zero input from the Credit Card company- it used to be one of the biggest issues I had to deal with at my old job, customers basically messing around with DDs and it takes a couple of months to settle down, and of course its NEVER anyones fault except the comp[any concerned-never the customer who has actually caused it

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
Sainsburys. As previously metioned it's about the best for cashback rewards, albeit in the form of nectar points, but it's a woeful bank (long queues when ringing, no Apple pay support, canned responses on twitter etc).
I paid £2.5k last night so my available spend is now enough. The ramaining balance (since the bill) is more than the upcoming DD so, whatever happens, I will have spending power if I need it and wont end up paying more off than I owe.

Yea, sorry to hear that. Seems to be the standard lately with all these companies. It’s infuriating. Since Covid it’s got so much worse because they have an excuse to let their usual standards slip and are happy to let customers wait and wait expecting your understanding. It’s the automated traps that they try to shoe horn you into that infuriated me and you end up going round in circles either online or by phone in an attempt to actually speak to someone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here