[Cricket] Is it the end of Third Man ?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
It,s a fielding position your gender from my POV has nothing to do with it,what next Long Leg. Cricket is a great game who ever plays it can't we just leave that way ? :dunce: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/58651071

No, I've played for forty years and I'm more than happy with it.

The sport has expanded so much that girls and women are playing everywhere.So why not make a few little changes ? They are not 'batsmen' are they ? And they won't field at 'Third Man'.

The terms can still be used in the men's game if folk so wish, but as someone who has been involved in the game so long I don't give a flying Flamingo if a few terms go to make them more appropriate. And I fail to understand why anyone would have a problem with it.

Tradition is dead people telling you what to do.

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Batter = Bowler and is a good development.

Third Man can stay with Slip and Gully as a traditional label for a fielding position.

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Batter = Bowler and is a good development.

Third Man can stay with Slip and Gully as a traditional label for a fielding position.

Except that the term 'Third Man' was originally 'Third Fielder' and changed over time- as indeed it will again.

II would simply employ the term 'Third Field' or perhaps 'Fine Off'. Kids growing up won't know any different- as doubtless you have probably never heard of 'Third Fielder'.

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Tom Paine made the same point in The Rights of Man.

Oh f*** :facepalm:

The term 'Man' actually is a catch all reference to all humans though historically. It's not as patriarchal as folk think. It's all down to interpretation really.

I think folk should man up a bit.

Oh...:ffsparr:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Christ.

:facepalm:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Except that the term 'Third Man' was originally 'Third Fielder' and changed over time- as indeed it will again.

II would simply employ the term 'Third Field' or perhaps 'Fine Off'. Kids growing up won't know any different- as doubtless you have probably never heard of 'Third Fielder'.

Fine Off would be really rubbish. Third Man as a traditional name for an area of the field, rather than a label for a person, could easily survive.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
The term 'Man' actually is a catch all reference to all humans though historically. It's not as patriarchal as folk think. It's all down to interpretation really.

I think folk should man up a bit.

Oh...:ffsparr:

Having said that, Mary Wollstonecraft brought out Vindication of the Rights of Men and A Vindication of the Rights of Woman within two years of one another back then (1790 and 1792),so people clearly recognised some distinction/hypocrisy even then.

I suspect though, that anybody interested in 18th century feminism probably already agrees with me/us.

As far as cricket terminology's concerned, most people who play the game barely use those terms anyway, they just point and shout.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It,s a fielding position your gender from my POV has nothing to do with it,what next Long Leg. Cricket is a great game who ever plays it can't we just leave that way ? :dunce: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/58651071

No it won’t disappear because the thing you’re objecting to is a laws change and the term “third man” does not appear in the rules, so has no relevance to your whinge.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I don’t remember people kicking off back in 2000 when the laws of the game changed from referring to fielder instead of fieldsman. It is almost like people are being convinced to kick off about something that really doesn’t matter. Imagine being a person that got angry about whether someone was a batter or a batsman but not about things that actually matter. What a time to be alive.

Anyone who is kicking off about the change to batter but did not kick off about fielder from fieldsman needs to wonder why they suddenly care about something like this and why they are buying into this crap.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Jeez! It's like Harty's "Ladies and gentlemen" toy-throwing performance all over again.

I'm constantly amazed how many people fail to grasp the concept of evolution.

Sent from my SM-A415F using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here