Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Chesney Hawkes

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The one and only.

I am sure all of NSC will join me in wishing Chesney Hawkes a very happy 50th Birthday.

:clap2:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I've always wondered how someone can 'live' off one song. He gets the odd TV job and his song must be played 100's of times a day around the world, but how much money can he get in royalties for one song?
I pay for a music licence but it doesn't go up a lot each year and yet there are lots money artists all wanting their cut of my money each year. How does it work?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
[MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION]

:lolol:

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I've always wondered how someone can 'live' off one song. He gets the odd TV job and his song must be played 100's of times a day around the world, but how much money can he get in royalties for one song?
I pay for a music licence but it doesn't go up a lot each year and yet there are lots money artists all wanting their cut of my money each year. How does it work?

It probably helps, but he does a fair bit of other things, panto for starters which is quite lucrative, he is also on the retro circuit that whilst it doesn't pay fortunes, one of two gigs a week will help keep the wolf from the door.

Happy 50th birthday Chesney, welcome to the club.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

I'm curious about this too.

My Daughter's Beau publishes his music on Spotify , as an unknown artist.
Apparently lots of playlists will end up playing his music, as it falls into genre's which might appeal to some users.
He makes a few hundred quid a month from it (allegedly).

Seeing as I regularly leave my playlists playing on repeat for hours and sometimes days on end, I would imagine some 80s bands must be coining it in.

I guess the revenue must be coming from licenses and advertising.
but as you say it does seem like a triflingly small amount of money to be shared around a huge number of artists.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Wouldn’t most of the royalties for The One and Only go to the writer Nik Kershaw rather than Chesney?

This link explains how royalties get paid for radio play, it’s focused on the US but I believe the system is fairly similar here.

https://soundcharts.com/blog/radio-royalties

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/songwriter-behind-one-only-says-10483921

So sad about Philip Schofields dislike of him

:nono:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Chesney has a full head of hair :lolol:

I'm sure. I look about as much like him as I do Cucurella.
[MENTION=29192]Brighton Lines[/MENTION] is alluding to an incident with me, my brother, said one-hit-wonder and his hangers on in a well known Brighton nightclub where copious "refreshments" had been taken. And that's all you're getting :blush:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

@<u><a href="https://www.northstandchat.com/member.php?u=29192" target="_blank">Brighton Lines</a></u> is alluding to an incident with me, my brother, said one-hit-wonder and his hangers on in a well known Brighton nightclub where copious "refreshments" had been taken. And that's all you're getting :blush:

:lolol::lolol:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Legend is a word much bandied about nowadays but

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Chesneys a Ted...

:eek:

Attachments

• p13082_i_v9_aa.jpg
    p13082_i_v9_aa.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 116

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

[MENTION=29192]Brighton Lines[/MENTION] is alluding to an incident with me, my brother, said one-hit-wonder and his hangers on in a well known Brighton nightclub where copious "refreshments" had been taken. And that's all you're getting :blush:

Ohhhh ..you can’t leave it there!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Streets Of London?!

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
I'm curious about this too.

My Daughter's Beau publishes his music on Spotify , as an unknown artist.
Apparently lots of playlists will end up playing his music, as it falls into genre's which might appeal to some users.
He makes a few hundred quid a month from it (allegedly).

Seeing as I regularly leave my playlists playing on repeat for hours and sometimes days on end, I would imagine some 80s bands must be coining it in.

I guess the revenue must be coming from licenses and advertising.
but as you say it does seem like a triflingly small amount of money to be shared around a huge number of artists.

That can't be true. Established artists who get millions of plays get peanuts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here