Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Rik Mayall : Lord of Misrule

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just watched this documentary on BBC4, well worth it for any fans of the great man, taken way too early. Probably on Iplayer/likely to be repeated.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Recorded it (and the following episode of Bottom), looking forward to it. An absolute master of comedy, loved him.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Saw him live with Ade Edmondson as the support act for Smith and Jones at the Dome just as the Young Ones took off.

He was very funny and the Young Ones was a defining comedy of its time, to me it was the first TV program that represented me at that time and several others followed on C4 most notably the Tube.

He also delivered one of the funniest lines in the Young Ones after Neil spilt tea on him.

"I'm disfigured for life, I am the Elephant Man"

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Comic Strip Presents was another comedy series way ahead of its time.

Memorable ones were the Bullshitters and there was a detective one where Spender became Spanker, utterly brilliant.

Fistful of Travellers Cheques was sublimely funny.

"Watford are shit"

"I agree"

"Well I don't"

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Lucky enough to see his one man show around the time The New Statesman came out. Probably the best "stand up" I've ever seen, but he didn't tell jokes.

His profile was quite high at the time and he was lapping it up like Lord Flashheart.

He came out to "Do you love me?" "yeah, yeah, yeah", "Do you think I'm really great?", "Do you love me?" "yeah, yeah, yeah", "but do you want to see my bottom?" etc.. from Comic Relief.

When the applause had died down, he silenced the crowd. Sshhh, shhhh

"Can you feel it ?".. ssshhhhhh

"Can you hear it ?".. ssshhhhhh

"Can you feel it ?"

"It's Rik and that's the magic of show business.."

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I need to find a way of watching A Fistful of Traveller’s Cheques again!

It was on All 4 not long ago.

"Are we taking this train to WHAT?"

Edit: They appear to have loaded a load more comic strips on there now including the utterly marvellous Mr Jolly Lives Next Door co-starring Peter Cook and Nicholas "Bloody" Parsons

Last edited:

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
The Bottom Live shows were brilliant.
Lucky to see them at both The Done and Brighton Centre.
Apparently when he was Lord Flash Heart he made his own lines up which I quite believe

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If only....if only everything could have been completely different.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
An unparalleled genius and that program was unmissable for anyone who liked any of his work. They really don’t make them like that anymore.

Nothing edgy in his back catalogue that would lead to him being cancelled either. Just pure genius.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Saw him live with Ade Edmondson as the support act for Smith and Jones at the Dome just as the Young Ones took off.

He was very funny and the Young Ones was a defining comedy of its time, to me it was the first TV program that represented me at that time and several others followed on C4 most notably the Tube.

He also delivered one of the funniest lines in the Young Ones after Neil spilt tea on him.

"I'm disfigured for life, I am the Elephant Man"

'Neil,Neil, orange peel, when will I see you again?' gets my vote!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here