Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Operation Crackdown - anyone else?

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Thought I'd share this because it's a curious one that's been bugging me, just wondered if anyone else has had similar and what they did if so? A few weeks ago I got a letter from Operation Crackdown, which is the Sussex Police initiative that allows members of the public to report other members of the public for dangerous driving. The letter says I've been reported for doing something that I categorically didn't do, but it doesn't look like there's any meaningful right of reply. For context, I'm a law-abiding driver to the point of paranoia about being sure of not doing anything wrong (I blame my Catholic upbringing for an over-enhanced sense of guilt) - never had an accident, no points ever, no fines ever, never been stopped etc. While the letter says it's not a record of an offence and there is no penalty, it also goes into detail about the risks and penalties for dangerous driving and carries the strong implication that they are taking the word of whoever reported it, even though there is no evidence provided and none is needed to make the accusation. It also says that the report will be held on file for 12 months and could be referred to if there are other reports. So someone can report someone else, give no evidence, it gets held on file for reference, and it can't be refuted - seems an odd situation and open to all kinds of abuse. No hard feelings from me particularly, people make mistakes, but I'd like to be able to at least respond and be heard just as much as whoever made the accusation in the first place. Anyone had similar and what did you do if so?

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Similar to one I had up here in Hampshire. Local speedwatch group out. I went past them at the speed limit - I know that because I checked after seeing loads of them in high vis jackets hanging around.

I got a letter through saying I had been seen going at 38 and, although not action would be taken this time, it would be kept on file and I may face points/penalty if I was 'caught' again. I filed it under NIMBYs in the posh village next to mine wanting to keep it a local village for really local people

Like you, I really wanted a right of appeal but couldn't be arsed in the end. They probably don;t mind ruffling a few feathers if it means that others change their behaviours

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
Thought I'd share this because it's a curious one that's been bugging me, just wondered if anyone else has had similar and what they did if so? A few weeks ago I got a letter from Operation Crackdown, which is the Sussex Police initiative that allows members of the public to report other members of the public for dangerous driving. The letter says I've been reported for doing something that I categorically didn't do, but it doesn't look like there's any meaningful right of reply. For context, I'm a law-abiding driver to the point of paranoia about being sure of not doing anything wrong (I blame my Catholic upbringing for an over-enhanced sense of guilt) - never had an accident, no points ever, no fines ever, never been stopped etc. While the letter says it's not a record of an offence and there is no penalty, it also goes into detail about the risks and penalties for dangerous driving and carries the strong implication that they are taking the word of whoever reported it, even though there is no evidence provided and none is needed to make the accusation. It also says that the report will be held on file for 12 months and could be referred to if there are other reports. So someone can report someone else, give no evidence, it gets held on file for reference, and it can't be refuted - seems an odd situation and open to all kinds of abuse. No hard feelings from me particularly, people make mistakes, but I'd like to be able to at least respond and be heard just as much as whoever made the accusation in the first place. Anyone had similar and what did you do if so?

Had one a few years back from their speed camera people - so not officially a speeding ticket but same as you said - it’s kept on file.

Personally think I’d file it away and forget about it if I were you. Your time to reply would be if it kept happening and they started to ‘investigate’ because there would need to be proof to do anything

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
My ex had similar for using her phone while driving a while ago, it is legit.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I got one last week.

They caught waiting at a red light.

If word.gets out I'll be ruined.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
A few instances of this, I passed some speed wombles in Storrington one day, they were just getting to the corner where they were going to stand. They clearly didn't have their little gun out yet but sure enough I had a letter a few days later.

A couple of months ago I passed one doing just over 40 in a 30, fair enough if I got a letter but nothing despite them clearly pointing a gun at me and telling his little mate to get my number down.

Father in law had one from Wakefield despite never having been to Wakefield in his life, he followed it up and took it up with the police (he's a retired inspector and took it personally), he pestered them for so long eventually they told him don't worry about as it not's worth the paper it's written on.

My biggest issue is the age of the people doing this, I've seen some genuinely in their 80's out there. Asking them to correctly use quite a technical piece of equipment and jot down a registration number of an allegedly speeding car doesn't seem ideal practice. I'm sure they think they're doing something useful but it just seems like something thrown together by those high up in the police force, handing speed guns and a pen and paper to pensioners to get them to do something they can't really bothered with or have the resources to do.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I've submitted a few reports. My doorbell captured a car reversing into my wall, whilst I was out. I reported it to the Rozzers and they referred me to Operational Crackdown to submit a report. It wasn't that it knocked a few loose bricks off the wall, that's fair enough. It was more the obvious awareness they'd done it, but then drove off without a second thought. Maybe they'd be different if it was a parked car they'd hit, but maybe not.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
A few instances of this, I passed some speed wombles in Storrington one day, they were just getting to the corner where they were going to stand. They clearly didn't have their little gun out yet but sure enough I had a letter a few days later

Were they were working by night and by day???

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I've submitted a few reports. My doorbell captured a car reversing into my wall, whilst I was out. I reported it to the Rozzers and they referred me to Operational Crackdown to submit a report. It wasn't that it knocked a few loose bricks off the wall, that's fair enough. It was more the obvious awareness they'd done it, but then drove off without a second thought. Maybe they'd be different if it was a parked car they'd hit, but maybe not.

Rozzers? Were you born in the 40's:)
But all jesting aside, you can't just drop that in and not tell us what happened next. Did the blighters get done for it?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
A few instances of this, I passed some speed wombles in Storrington one day, they were just getting to the corner where they were going to stand. They clearly didn't have their little gun out yet but sure enough I had a letter a few days later.

A couple of months ago I passed one doing just over 40 in a 30, fair enough if I got a letter but nothing despite them clearly pointing a gun at me and telling his little mate to get my number down.

Father in law had one from Wakefield despite never having been to Wakefield in his life, he followed it up and took it up with the police (he's a retired inspector and took it personally), he pestered them for so long eventually they told him don't worry about as it not's worth the paper it's written on.

My biggest issue is the age of the people doing this, I've seen some genuinely in their 80's out there. Asking them to correctly use quite a technical piece of equipment and jot down a registration number of an allegedly speeding car doesn't seem ideal practice. I'm sure they think they're doing something useful but it just seems like something thrown together by those high up in the police force, handing speed guns and a pen and paper to pensioners to get them to do something they can't really bothered with or have the resources to do.

We have these old buggers around our way. My wife and I call them the hairdryer brigade, as that is what it looks like the chief old bugger is pointing at you. Three or four old gits with nothing better to do. Probably the same people who reported neighbours for taking the dog out for too many walks during lockdown.😁

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I haven't dealt with anything like this in years, but you used to be able (and I suspect still can) request that they send all information they hold on you under the Data Protection Act (or whatever it is now) including any reports that have been filed on you including details, date and time filed and by whom. There maybe some get out for Government institutions and agencies, but there didn't used to be.

If you can be arsed to be an awkward ******* :shrug:

*edit* but what if he was actually born out of wedlock ? Censorship gone mad

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Thanks folks, interesting stuff. For what it's worth I (and presumably some of the cars behind me) were reported for jumping a red light by someone who seems to have misread the lights at a junction and decided others are the ones at fault. I'll file it in the "not worth worrying about" pile.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I don't see there is any problem in the OP requesting from the Police what the issue was as he didn't believe there had been anything wrong with his driving. Perhaps play the sweet and innocent and say if you knew what it was then you can address it to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Operation crackdown is a real thing is a good thing (other than those that will whinge on about being a grass!). Also, there are many more cars with dashcams now and you can post video to the Police online. A lot of driving instructors do it as there are plenty of knobs that drive like knobs just because there's a learner car in front of them!

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Sounds to me like the whole thing is based on a bit of obscure 80s industrial synthpop…

“Watching you, watching others move, then someone somewhere cracks down, The Crackdown…”

https://youtu.be/Xgfto_yyBXM

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here