Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Seventh Heaven

el punal

The highest position we’ve achieved during a season was 7th in the old First Division, after we beat Saints 2-0 at the Dell in December 1981. The question is, although we are currently 4th and it is early days in the season with just five games played, when can we justifiably state that this is our highest ever placing? Now, or 9 games in (which will a quarter of the season in), 10,12?

Oh, such heady days! :drink:

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
The highest position we’ve achieved during a season was 7th in the old First Division, after we beat Saints 2-0 at the Dell in December 1981. The question is, although we are currently 4th and it is early days in the season with just five games played, when can we justifiably state that this is our highest ever placing? Now, or 9 games in (which will a quarter of the season in), 10,12?

It's amazing, isn't it, that we're even having this debate! I keep looking at the PL table with a mixture of pride and wonderment!

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Now i'm thinking, why is the phrase 'seventh heaven'? Where does that come from? What's wrong with the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th heaven? Or the 8th or 9th for that matter?

It will annoy a few on here that it is from religions including Islam. The 7th heaven is the highest heaven where God and his top angel homies hang out.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester

I was in the away end at the Dell that evening. Southampton would have gone top with a win but we frustrated them first half and then Andy Ritchie scored from a free kick and then the second from Gatting if I remember correctly. Quite a few 1-0 wins that season and we finished 13th.
For me it’s all about where you end the season having played everyone twice. Our fixtures so far have been relatively kind.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
It will annoy a few on here that it is from religions including Islam. The 7th heaven is the highest heaven where God and his top angel homies hang out.

I think the link between heaven and religion was fairly clear ;) Thank you, I was genuinely interested. In my, admittedly very sporadic, Church going we're only told about the one heaven, so this is not in the protestant faith I presume? Or just tucked away somewhere as too complicated for the heathen to understand. As presumably just getting to the first heaven will be quite an achievement for most of us!

They don't rhyme?

You know, I wouldn't have been surprised in the least. Reminds me of the question 'what does the' Fi' in Wi-Fi stand for?' Answer - nothing, it just makes WiFi rhyme with hi-fi and sound cool.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
I was in the away end at the Dell that evening. Southampton would have gone top with a win but we frustrated them first half and then Andy Ritchie scored from a free kick and then the second from Gatting if I remember correctly. Quite a few 1-0 wins that season and we finished 13th.
For me it’s all about where you end the season having played everyone twice. Our fixtures so far have been relatively kind.

On one hand they certainly look relatively kind... On the other, Burnley away isn't easy for anyone and we had to fight like hell to stay in that game. Brentford away is looking tougher by the week, they've beaten Arsenal and Wolves now, and again, we had to fight like he'll to stay in the game. Everton and Leicester are two top sides, with West Ham and Spurs the best outside the big four. Only Watford at home was easy - and we absolutely made it look easy. Others won't. There's only a handful of 'easy' games in the Premier league, and they're all at home.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I think the link between heaven and religion was fairly clear ;) Thank you, I was genuinely interested. In my, admittedly very sporadic, Church going we're only told about the one heaven, so this is not in the protestant faith I presume? Or just tucked away somewhere as too complicated for the heathen to understand. As presumably just getting to the first heaven will be quite an achievement for most of us!

You know, I wouldn't have been surprised in the least. Reminds me of the question 'what does the' Fi' in Wi-Fi stand for?' Answer - nothing, it just makes WiFi rhyme with hi-fi and sound cool.

Judaism as well, amongst others. Probably the same as the seven circles of hell. BTW - I did just Google it - I am not some kind of religious expert! It is interesting how many similarities there are between religions that have become so divisive to each other. Just small details that differed at the time that have now blown up into massive schisms. "Thou shalt not take the blood of another man". Don't kill anyone in one religion, don't have a blood transfusion in another. The ultimate game of Chinese Whispers. With the added enjoyment of a Christian country using a saying derived from the Muslim and Jewish faiths.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Now i'm thinking, why is the phrase 'seventh heaven'? Where does that come from? What's wrong with the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th heaven? Or the 8th or 9th for that matter?

I think it predates modern religions, and seventh heaven was a concept created due to the seven visible objects in the sky that moved, including the sun and moon. Because the Sun had a clear effect on life on earth as it moved, people tried to work out the effects of the other moving objects, and attributed stuff to them if it occured repeatedly with the object in a similar position, seventh would have been the most mysterious, i.e. they couldn't find a pattern, or just attributed anything that was random to it, and then was supposed to be the boss level that could do what it wanted, whenever it wanted and didn't have to stick to the rules.
Thats my theory anyway, and it is as good as any other made up nonsense in any religious text.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Judaism as well, amongst others. Probably the same as the seven circles of hell. BTW - I did just Google it - I am not some kind of religious expert! It is interesting how many similarities there are between religions that have become so divisive to each other. Just small details that differed at the time that have now blown up into massive schisms. "Thou shalt not take the blood of another man". Don't kill anyone in one religion, don't have a blood transfusion in another. The ultimate game of Chinese Whispers. With the added enjoyment of a Christian country using a saying derived from the Muslim and Jewish faiths.

Absolutely, all the monotheistic religions that originated on the middle east diverged very recently and share the same texts, Christ is an important figure in all of them, but only deified by Christians.

And the closer religions are, the more they fight with each other. I liken it to football rivalry, hatred between fans who come from the same town and have more in common with each other than with any other football fan.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

6th ?

Screenshot (57).png

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The only 'highest position' that counts is the one at the end of the season. Nevertheless, looking at the 'as it stands' table on Sunday whilst West ham were stil drawing with Man.United and we were briefly secind was a joy!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

It's the old 7th Heaven before they re-branded Heaven 1 as Premier Heaven and split the lower levels into Rumbalows Heaven North and South.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Guessing one of the teams below us played on the Sunday and overtook us. If that doesn't count then we can claim 3rd as our highest position.

Beat Palace and we could head for third if Chelsea don't beat Man City on Saturday. Might be getting a little ahead of myself there though!!

The match at Southampton on December 8 1981 was a Tuesday - and we were still sixth going into the fixtures on Saturday December 12.

Our next 3 league games (on Dec 12, 19 and 26) were all postponed.

Earlier that season, after we had won 1-0 at Wolves on Tuesday September 22 (forty years ago tomorrow) we sat fifth in the table with most teams having played six matches. However, the following evening both Manchester City and Nottingham Forest won and we dropped to seventh with everyone having played six games.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Reminds me of Apu and his wife when they had septuplets and had to plug that slogan “We’re in seventh heaven”

:)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here