Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Good news for Sussex fans

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
the risk with Garton is be becomes a member of the England one day squads, and we lose him for portions of the season.

Indeed. Let's face it, if the likes of Ollie Robinson, Chris Jordan, Tymal Mills, Phil Salt, and now possibly George Garton, all involved with England, albeit either in the red or white ball versions of the game, and unavailable to Sussex for long periods of the season, were able to play, we could have one heck of a side!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Good point. Is there still scope / time to do something similar to Hants, with a site that starts 'small' with the space to build up the facilities as demand requires? It would need a big site somewhere, but it can't be impossible. I would require a new owner / backer for Sussex cricket, with some deep pockets. I wonder if Tony Bloom likes cricket?

You'd think there must be some available space somewhere around the Crawley / Horsham area given how much of that space is being built on. Then we can just flog the county ground to these people and we're off.

[tweet]1439990255105499142[/tweet]

(P.S. If that isn't Crodo then there is an imposter in the wild)

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Indeed. Let's face it, if the likes of Ollie Robinson, Chris Jordan, Tymal Mills, Phil Salt, and now possibly George Garton, all involved with England, albeit either in the red or white ball versions of the game, and unavailable to Sussex for long periods of the season, were able to play, we could have one heck of a side!

Exactly this! If your best players are always on England duty, there's little hope of success with those that remain.......

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Exactly this! If your best players are always on England duty, there's little hope of success with those that remain.......

Well, you need a squad.

We're not the only county that give players to England. York, Lancs, Surrey, Middlesex etc. They've always done well enough despite providing the bedrock of the England sides

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Derbyshire currently rattling on at just under 7 an over

Keep it tight boys

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Two quick wickets for Crocombe but Derbyshire still happier at 100-2.

This battle between the two worst teams in the country must surely be at least a vaguely close contest...?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
125-2 at lunch.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Asking the experts here, as I’m just a keen spectator, have we effectively run out of money?

I thought knocking the pub down and redeveloping it was going to help?

Knocking the pub down and redeveloping it, was a question we were asking about Withdean back in the day. :)

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It should be pointed out that being a test ground is not a passport to success. Durham were deducted a lot of points after they were bailed out by the ECB when they developed their ground for test match purposes.

I'd still rather be in their position than ours as at least they now have the ground and can be a part of the Brave New World. And with Climate Change they might now get some better cricketing weather!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Thats very interesting to know Max...will keep an eye on that situation!

I bet you will. I should add that this may not be true but the person who told me is well connected and not prone to making things up.

I'd still rather be in their position than ours as at least they now have the ground and can be a part of the Brave New World. And with Climate Change they might now get some better cricketing weather!

Yes, but Durham got deducted so many points, they ended up bottom of the CC. You wouldn't want the same thing to happen to Su ....

Oh

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
The good thing is as Yazz said back in 1988, The Only Way is Up, Salt and Jordan allegedly wanted too much dough, but we had success before them, and with the right investment and development we can come good again Shirley?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The good thing is as Yazz said back in 1988, The Only Way is Up, Salt and Jordan allegedly wanted too much dough, but we had success before them, and with the right investment and development we can come good again Shirley?

Salt and especially Jordan, were playing less and less for the county anyway, what with England and Hundred obligations. So how can we lose what we don't really have anyway? :)

smiler

Jan 12, 2006
Shoreham by Sea

Yes in about 50 years time the site could be the new Hove Marina.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
In news elsewhere, Hampshire, needing a win at Liverpool to win the County Championship, have slumped to 120/8 in their first innings. Terrible shame, that.

Terrible.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I just read that Dawson was run out while backing up.

How unfortunate for him.

A real shame.

That is really unlucky. Gutted for him.

(to be fair, Dawson - along with Vince, Barker, Crane and Alsop - have played 5 a side football in the winter against my team, for a few years, and he seems a nice enough chap)

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
In news elsewhere, Hampshire, needing a win at Liverpool to win the County Championship, have slumped to 120/8 in their first innings. Terrible shame, that.

Terrible.

Wouldn't it be awful for them to finish second?

To be fair, they are playing THE Lancashire. They can't be expected to win that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here