Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Insulate Britain protests

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
and next week huge floods will block roads and lead to more people not making it to hospital. The tabloids will always find a story like this, infact vested interests will look long and hard to find these stories. Anything to let the status quo prevail that of course benefits fossil fuel industries

i think we have to ask ourselves why are these people doing this stuff? There's nothing in it for them, many could just carry on and have a quiet life...

what's the alternative?
getting a job?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Will the protestors put up their hand in acknowledgment of the lady who dead in an ambulance because they didn’t get to hospital in time at last Monday’s protest. Do the action without seeing the consequence

I can’t see anything in the news about this apart from Nik Ferrari talking about it. Do you have a link?

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
I’ll take your word for it.

Don’t get me wrong. Insulating homes is a good idea. Actually would save on energy use going forward long term and technically assist in climate change. Potentially.
However there not getting this point across and quite frankly are alienating people they need to get onside.
No different to the climate change protests. Right idea but the 2 that attach themselves to a tube in rush hour in the east end get a hiding and affects the end goal in terms of getting support you just piss people off.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
What do governments and corporations think is going to happen if they keep wilfully ignoring impending climate disaster in favour of their own interests?
Of course people are going to protest.

Its important is to remember the bunch of crypto fascists in charge of this country are so worried about protests exposing their flaws in governance, they will soon ban it all together.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Not very bright are they.

Millions of people who may be sympathetic to their cause will end up hacked off and slagging them off.

They are more interested on being notorious and getting on the telly than they are about coming up with a tangible solution to the problem that they are worried about

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
What exactly are they actually protesting about?
I'm guessing its something to do with insulating homes? Assuming it is, it it just the UK or other counties as well?
If so also guess they want the government to pay?
Could they not just set a gofund page instead?

yep, they want every house retrofitted with upgraded insulation at a cost of at least $360bn, which they look to government to fund. gofund isnt going to cut it.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It is nuisancism, highlights the cause, and puts pressure on Governments to address the issues, but shouldn't kill anyone.

I am more pissed off that they are making an overly simplistic demand, insulate homes.
The highest rated insulation products, also create the highest amounts of CO2 in their production. Lower insulation values materials can often be used, but require greater thicknesses to create the same U values, but could actually sequester CO2. A hemp lime render on external walls will add some thermal insulation and sequester the CO2 that the hemp used to grow, and the lime will reabsorb the same amount of CO2 from the air, that was driven off in it's production from limestone.
There is potential off gassing of VOC's in some insulation materials, and a reduction in ventilation that are also an issue for human health, I fear that simply looking at CO2 emissions and adding synthetic insulation could be akin to the advocation of diesel rather than petrol cars a few years ago, yes the CO2 produced will be lower, but particulates and pollution are worse, and are choking people, so these vehicles get banned from city centres and usually end up getting sold

For me, I would be demanding subsidy for the greenest insulation, and proper energy surveyors to advise on where best to place it in homes, so many cowboys installing insulation, and so many homes that have had insulation added are still rated low because of the original construction methods and the way that is factored into the calculations. For all the insulation in the world though, my missus is still going to have the heating on high, and the bedroom window open, because she likes the fresh air, however much I moan at her about that.

Very good post.

Insulation in some cases is actually quite damaging. Cavity fill for example will just exacerbate damp in a UK housing stock that has more than its fair share of damp issues.

What desperately desperately needs changing is planning law and building regs.

Any house being built today without solar panels, grey water recycling, and if cost allowed, heat exchange pumps rather than traditional central heating is a long term disaster really.

Add to that, hard surface driveways for cars are still the norm. Absolute craziness given the flood issues we increasingly see, but hardly surprising in a car led culture.

What to do with the unfit old housing stock though, I really don't know. Perhaps start by fitting solar panels with Government grants would be a help. Is loft insulation still subsidised?

All of this is out of my own control as I'm stuck in the private rent sector unfortunately.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Completely agree with the cause of course - but their actions are a total disgrace. Can’t believe people are justifying it - I heard somebody DIED who may have survived if it wasn’t for their actions..? Utter disgrace and need to be dealt with harsher - water cannons if abroad I reckon…! Stop disrupting innocent people’s lives - we’ve had enough of that recently you morons!

Edit - sorry, I haven’t read whole thread - seems the death thing was brought up. True or not, imagine it was your family member in that ambulance..!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I hear what you say. There will be damage to peoples lives. In some cases (e.g. an ambulance trying to get to a hospital) there may be loss of life. I hope it is not me who feels the effect of such action), but the implications to loss of livelihood, health and way of life for everyone if we do nothing is far greater.

People say that they are protesting against people with no power (the everyday man in the street etc.) - well, the everyday man in the street has all the power he (or she or they) need. It's the ballot box.

The markets (capitalism) will not provide answers fast enough without government action. Had that been the case, the market would have changed our habits thirty years ago. As always, the market is late to the party.

Sorry but this comes across as ‘I care about the planet so much. I don’t mind someone dying as a result of the protest but hope it’s not me’ - a bit hypocritical. I think anyone with a brain cares about the planet and our future generations living good lives. But killing innocent people is not the way to go about it. Plenty of other far more clever ways that don’t put peoples lives at risk - they’re total morons.

D

Deleted member 2719

Was just reading about these wallies blocking the M25 again and was surprised there hasn't been a thread after 2 weeks of their antics, I'm guessing mostly apathy and eye rolling than any strong feelings either way.

Does anyone actually support their tactic of inconveniencing normal people going about their daily lives?

I have always had strong feelings on the wally waving placard crew, but i am clearly in the minority on here about this.

I will never get this so will bale out of this thread before the trolls launch into me.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Completely agree with the cause of course - but their actions are a total disgrace. Can’t believe people are justifying it - I heard somebody DIED who may have survived if it wasn’t for their actions..? Utter disgrace and need to be dealt with harsher - water cannons if abroad I reckon…! Stop disrupting innocent people’s lives - we’ve had enough of that recently you morons!

Edit - sorry, I haven’t read whole thread - seems the death thing was brought up. True or not, imagine it was your family member in that ambulance..!

Water cannons, yeah that will help. Think Bojo bought 3 and we got £11k for them for scrap metal

If we're going to talk about people dying, perhaps we should pause and think of those of the developing world who have no resilience against climate change created the ever consuming west. Food for thought in a traffic jam...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Water cannons, yeah that will help. Think Bojo bought 3 and we got £11k for them for scrap metal

If we're going to talk about people dying, perhaps we should pause and think of those of the developing world who have no resilience against climate change created the ever consuming west. Food for thought in a traffic jam...

To confirm, I wasn’t suggesting water cannons - just suggesting there’d be a much harsher way of dealing with them in other countries. Yes totally agree with point 2 - but still plenty of other and better ways of doing it…!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
To confirm, I wasn’t suggesting water cannons - just suggesting there’d be a much harsher way of dealing with them in other countries. Yes totally agree with point 2 - but still plenty of other and better ways of doing it…!

I’m fine with water canons….could borrow them from our neighbours France …oh hang on

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Are you sure it’s not glue remover. They managed to remove them a lot quicker than our plod.

Liberté - tick, they were unglued from the road.
égalité - tick, everyone got pepper sprayed.
fraternité - tick, the police shared a common interest in dishing out the punishment.

Macron and his police appear unperturbed by the European Court of Justice, their do’ers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here