Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Insulate Britain protests

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I think the view of the protesters will be the M25 is a huge traffic jam already, making the traffic temporarily worse for a few hours is a small price to get publicity

Strategy is all wrong. Boris is not affected in anyway by the blocking of the m25. He couldn’t give a shit so it’s a useless statement that will only piss of those that they should be engaging with. Futile and counterproductive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
What do governments and corporations think is going to happen if they keep wilfully ignoring impending climate disaster in favour of their own interests?
Of course people are going to protest.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Some of the replies on this thread though ...

woke.jpg

:facepalm:

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Will the protestors put up their hand in acknowledgment of the lady who dead in an ambulance because they didn’t get to hospital in time at last Monday’s protest. Do the action without seeing the consequence

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
There will be people trying to make job interviews for their first shot at a job in ages; people trying to get their kids to hospital appointments for vital treatment; surgeons waiting for organ transplants or blood supplies to arrive - not to mention all of the other ordinary and extraordinary delays. When the M25 is screwed, the knock-on effects reach right into the home counties and outer London, impacting ambulance, police and fire response times - plus nurses, doctors and teachers etc trying to get to work. Yes, I realise that we are facing a climate emergency, but people in trying to get to hospital for an appointment or relying on a 999 response shouldn't be regarded as collateral damage.

I hear what you say. There will be damage to peoples lives. In some cases (e.g. an ambulance trying to get to a hospital) there may be loss of life. I hope it is not me who feels the effect of such action), but the implications to loss of livelihood, health and way of life for everyone if we do nothing is far greater.

People say that they are protesting against people with no power (the everyday man in the street etc.) - well, the everyday man in the street has all the power he (or she or they) need. It's the ballot box.

The markets (capitalism) will not provide answers fast enough without government action. Had that been the case, the market would have changed our habits thirty years ago. As always, the market is late to the party.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
What do governments and corporations think is going to happen if they keep wilfully ignoring impending climate disaster in favour of their own interests?
Of course people are going to protest.

There not protesting about that though are they. If they were it might actually make sense to block the M25 although it’s still counter productive as they will just have miles and miles of static traffic adding to the problem.
They are protesting about having all homes insulated by 2025. Not sure sticking your hands to the M25 is achieving anything towards that cause.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Will the protestors put up their hand in acknowledgment of the lady who dead in an ambulance because they didn’t get to hospital in time at last Monday’s protest. Do the action without seeing the consequence

It should go much further than that imho.

Nobody should be prevented from their rights to peaceful protest, or marching in the centre of london etc to raise their issues.

But this is not peaceful protest, nor is what extinction rebelion did peaceful protest. It is a criminal offence to block a public highway, and I truly wish these muppets were held criminally accountable for their actions. The women who died is not collateral damage, its manslaugher.

This type of anarchist behaviour is more akin to terrorism than protest and there is simply no way now, that any responsible governement could bow to their demands.

For if this type of lawlesness was rewarded with demands being met, you can 100% guarantee, the next wave of lawlessness would be emboldended and the next set of demands enacted.

I honestly thing climate change is a major issue, it really is, I think the world needs to do more, but here in Britain we are better than many leading indstustrialised enconmies (if far from perfect), it is us who is pressing the US to double their contibutions to the £100B annual carbon neatrul fund to help enconomies ofset financial disruption from decarbonising)....... Why dont these former CND, North Lanes, Tofu anarchists go to China or India and try glueing themselves to the floor there?

They are doing absolutely nothing to change the world or stop climate change, they are just breaking law, pissing off law abiding citizens, causing people to die, kids to be left at school, Lorry loads of perishable goods to be binned and their acts add to polution.

They're tossers pissing in the wind and the vast majority of the country does not support them, but does understand the peril the world is in and wants action.

This is not the way and I hope the law is used is against them.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
they are just breaking law, pissing off law abiding citizens, causing people to die, Lorry loads of perishable goods to be binned and their acts add to polution..

Are you talking about the Tory party or Insulate Britain here?

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
I'm surprised they found moving traffic to stop on the M25 at most times of day. Everytime I've been on it it comes to a standstill without anyone gluing themselves to the road. Some **** hogging the the 3rd lane at 60mph with nothing inside them tends to create more traffic chaos than this lot.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I hear what you say. There will be damage to peoples lives. In some cases (e.g. an ambulance trying to get to a hospital) there may be loss of life. I hope it is not me who feels the effect of such action), but the implications to loss of livelihood, health and way of life for everyone if we do nothing is far greater.

People say that they are protesting against people with no power (the everyday man in the street etc.) - well, the everyday man in the street has all the power he (or she or they) need. It's the ballot box.

The markets (capitalism) will not provide answers fast enough without government action. Had that been the case, the market would have changed our habits thirty years ago. As always, the market is late to the party.

You appear to believe collateral damage (including deaths) are acceptable as supposedly raising awareness for the climate action cause is far more important, can I ask if there is any action you would refuse to support? Multi-car, numerous death pile-ups on the M25? Maybe a different group letting off a few bombs?

How many everyday men/women stuck in the traffic jams or inconvenienced by them will be changing their vote to Green do you reckon?

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Feck em. I'm going for direct action. Going to glue myself to a recycling bin. See how they like it. Taste of their own medicine.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

we are the market. we either have enough insulation, cant afford it or cant fit it. despite government billions spent on installing, often with problems. really its low impact in the global scheme of things.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
My problem with it is that I don't believe they would stop if they got what they wanted.

I'm not sure what level of insulation would be sufficient, but I would bet that if that was happening to some extent they would either:
a) Say that it wasn't enough, or
b) Find some other reason
to carry on protesting anyway.

We have licensed protest marches so that people can people can make their point without inconveniencing others. I was on a protest march in London in 2018 (and then came back to watch us lose to Spurs in the rain) and roads were closed for us, but diversions were in place too - so nobody was too inconvenienced.

But the M25 protests are a different level. If we say this is ok then anyone with a group of 50 people or more can block the road whenever they want. It's a very silly policy to do anything other than clear the protestors away as fast as possible and lock them up for a while. Seeing as that is what the protestors want to happen, I can only think the authorities are trying to not do that - they are probably worried the protestors will go on hunger strike if locked up and might end up with the old cat and mouse act tactics again.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
What exactly are they actually protesting about?
I'm guessing its something to do with insulating homes? Assuming it is, it it just the UK or other counties as well?
If so also guess they want the government to pay?
Could they not just set a gofund page instead?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
You appear to believe collateral damage (including deaths) are acceptable as supposedly raising awareness for the climate action cause is far more important, can I ask if there is any action you would refuse to support? Multi-car, numerous death pile-ups on the M25? Maybe a different group letting off a few bombs?

How many everyday men/women stuck in the traffic jams or inconvenienced by them will be changing their vote to Green do you reckon?

You were less bothered about collateral damage and the potential for blocked motorways and travel chaos caused by another event, I guess notional Sovereignty is more important than a habitable planet to you.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
There not protesting about that though are they. If they were it might actually make sense to block the M25 although it’s still counter productive as they will just have miles and miles of static traffic adding to the problem.
They are protesting about having all homes insulated by 2025. Not sure sticking your hands to the M25 is achieving anything towards that cause.

I’ll take your word for it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here