Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Insulate Britain protests

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
It is nuisancism, highlights the cause, and puts pressure on Governments to address the issues, but shouldn't kill anyone.

I am more pissed off that they are making an overly simplistic demand, insulate homes.
The highest rated insulation products, also create the highest amounts of CO2 in their production. Lower insulation values materials can often be used, but require greater thicknesses to create the same U values, but could actually sequester CO2. A hemp lime render on external walls will add some thermal insulation and sequester the CO2 that the hemp used to grow, and the lime will reabsorb the same amount of CO2 from the air, that was driven off in it's production from limestone.
There is potential off gassing of VOC's in some insulation materials, and a reduction in ventilation that are also an issue for human health, I fear that simply looking at CO2 emissions and adding synthetic insulation could be akin to the advocation of diesel rather than petrol cars a few years ago, yes the CO2 produced will be lower, but particulates and pollution are worse, and are choking people, so these vehicles get banned from city centres and usually end up getting sold

For me, I would be demanding subsidy for the greenest insulation, and proper energy surveyors to advise on where best to place it in homes, so many cowboys installing insulation, and so many homes that have had insulation added are still rated low because of the original construction methods and the way that is factored into the calculations. For all the insulation in the world though, my missus is still going to have the heating on high, and the bedroom window open, because she likes the fresh air, however much I moan at her about that.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Well, I suppose that depends upon whether you think deliberately creating vast traffic jams is an ‘indirect result’ or not.

The traffic jam is not the indirect result, the woman having a stroke is. As I suspect you knew in your attempt to be glib.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Are you suggesting we should do something about it and run them over get the motorway moving a bit quicker?

If you want to suggest illegal activity that's up to you.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The traffic jam is not the indirect result, the woman having a stroke is. As I suspect you knew in your attempt to be glib.

I was not attempting to be glib. Quite the opposite. I am pointing out a consequence of this protest and one the organizers cannot run away from. Like it or not a cause can lose a lot of public support if it targets the public.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I was not attempting to be glib. Quite the opposite. I am pointing out a consequence of this protest and one the organizers cannot run away from. Like it or not a cause can lose a lot of public support if it targets the public.

But the point about the woman having a stroke is not relevant other than as an indirect consequence. In the same way if while driving you don't let someone out of a junction, they then get caught by a level crossing and miss the birth of their child it cannot be claimed you were intentionally preventing them from reaching the birth of the child by not letting them out of the junction. A cause can lose public support but it's not acceptable to drag indirect consequences of actions in to try and pin on the protestors.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
But the point about the woman having a stroke is not relevant other than as an indirect consequence. In the same way if while driving you don't let someone out of a junction, they then get caught by a level crossing and miss the birth of their child it cannot be claimed you were intentionally preventing them from reaching the birth of the child by not letting them out of the junction. A cause can lose public support but it's not acceptable to drag indirect consequences of actions in to try and pin on the protestors.

I don’t think the protesters have intentionally done anything. They are just too immature to understand that actions have consequences. Ironic really considering the validity of their cause and that they should be pointing exactly this out to back up their case.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Direct action is all that's left unfortunately. All we get from this crap government is empty rhetoric and contradiction with airport expansion and a mass road building programme. Never forget when the Tories got elected in 2015, one of the first things they did was flog off the Green Investment bank to an investment house

Hats off to these guys, giving up their own time and prepared to take a caution or criminal record for the sake of a desperate cause.

I expect will see a lot more of this, their kids and grandkids will thank them...

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I just don't understand why their chosen tactic is to create a great big polluting traffic jam. It seem some what counter productive to what they say they are concerned about.

This 100%.

Odd that nobody on this thread has disagreed with your point here ???

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I just don't understand why their chosen tactic is to create a great big polluting traffic jam. It seem some what counter productive to what they say they are concerned about.

I think the view of the protesters will be the M25 is a huge traffic jam already, making the traffic temporarily worse for a few hours is a small price to get publicity

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I think the view of the protesters will be the M25 is a huge traffic jam already, making the traffic temporarily worse for a few hours is a small price to get publicity

And of course the poor woman who’s medical treatment was delayed by these protesters who now lies paralysed as a result is an acceptable form of collateral damage?

Mum paralysed by stroke after M25 protest delayed trip to hospital by six hours
The woman's son Chris said he was 'so angry and so upset' as he watched his mum 'slip away' while they were stuck in standstill traffic on the M25. Doctors said her recovery would have been minimal if she had arrived within 90 minutes

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....s/mum-paralysed-stroke-after-m25-25015653.amp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
And of course the poor woman who’s medical treatment was delayed by these protesters who now lies paralysed as a result is an acceptable form of collateral damage?

Mum paralysed by stroke after M25 protest delayed trip to hospital by six hours
The woman's son Chris said he was 'so angry and so upset' as he watched his mum 'slip away' while they were stuck in standstill traffic on the M25. Doctors said her recovery would have been minimal if she had arrived within 90 minutes

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....s/mum-paralysed-stroke-after-m25-25015653.amp

And next week huge floods will block roads and lead to more people not making it to hospital. The tabloids will always find a story like this, infact vested interests will look long and hard to find these stories. Anything to let the status quo prevail that of course benefits fossil fuel industries

I think we have to ask ourselves why are these people doing this stuff? There's nothing in it for them, many could just carry on and have a quiet life...

What's the alternative?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

Yes, they can try telling that one to those trying to get to a hospital to visit a loved one on death’s door.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
And next week huge floods will block roads and lead to more people not making it to hospital. The tabloids will always find a story like this, infact vested interests will look long and hard to find these stories. Anything to let the status quo prevail that of course benefits fossil fuel industries

I think we have to ask ourselves why are these people doing this stuff? There's nothing in it for them, many could just carry on and have a quiet life...

What's the alternative?

So you do see this woman’s plight as collateral damage then, righto

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Protest is important. Especially with our anti-human rights government and the vocal extreme right wing in the U.K. today. Good for them.
FIGHT THE RIGHT
NEVER TRUST A TORY
REVERSE BREXIT
POWER TO THE BBC.

TC :)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here