Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Theoretical - earliest we could be in the bottom 3

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I did this a couple of weeks ago but definitely worth doing again. If the PL follows last season, it took 17 games for Fulham to reach 12 points. Our 17th game is home to Wolves (14th December) so even if we lose every game until then, that would be the earliest we could be in the bottom 3.

Shows how much more value a few early wins in the PL is compared to other divisions.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
I did this a couple of weeks ago but definitely worth doing again. If the PL follows last season, it took 17 games for Fulham to reach 12 points. Our 17th game is home to Wolves (14th December) so even if we lose every game until then, that would be the earliest we could be in the bottom 3.

Shows how much more value a few early wins in the PL is compared to other divisions.

Takes a lot of pressure off , the quicker we get to 30pts the better

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The BBC did analysis of a fast start at the beginning of the season looking at what was required after 10 games to effectively stay up.
If you have 12+ points after 10 then you almost certainly guaranteed to avoid relegation.
via
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58148143

staying up.jpg

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Bournemouth had 13 points after 10 games in October 2019. They were relegated on 34 points in 2020.

Thanks. So, one more win in our next five games and we should be pretty safe

And Bournemouth were unlucky, that was the season that Villa got a spawny draw with Sheff U when the dozy officials hadn't noticed the ball over the line. If that had been given, Bournemouth would probably have stayed up

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Not sure why we're talking about relegation.

We're obviously not going to be anywhere near relegation. I don't think we'll be near Europe either.

The question we should be asking is, what is a realistic goal from here?

I think top half. That's where we should be aiming. It will be very hard, but we can do it.

If we can balance that with a decent cup run, and 4 or 6 points against Palace, then we'll surely have had the best season in our history

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005

We're obviously not going to be anywhere near relegation. I don't think we'll be near Europe either.

The question we should be asking is, what is a realistic goal from here?

I think top half. That's where we should be aiming. It will be very hard, but we can do it.

If we can balance that with a decent cup run, and 4 or 6 points against Palace, then we'll surely have had the best season in our history

Exactly... Sky bet offering 40/1 on us being relegated... If anyone wants to take it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

We're obviously not going to be anywhere near relegation.

Because we're Albion fans, that's what we do.

I'm just relieved we can look forward to losing on Monday and still be above them.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

We're obviously not going to be anywhere near relegation.

Tell that to Southampton who won 7 of their first 12 last season mostly against relegated / teams around them ( to go 3rd and then won only 3 of their next 22 to slump to 17th with 4 games to go...)

Mind you they stayed up with ease to be fair.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Tell that to Southampton who won 7 of their first 12 last season mostly against relegated / teams around them ( to go 3rd and then won only 3 of their next 22 to slump to 17th with 4 games to go...)

Mind you they stayed up with ease to be fair.

I'm aware of Southampton's up and down season.

We haven't gone on the sort of horror run they did for several years and we won't this season.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

We'll lose games. We won't finish this high.

But we've got too much resilience to lose 8, 10 in a row.

The odds on us going down are right. Hardly any chance ... and and me saying it on a NSC post doesn't change that probability one iota

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I'm aware of Southampton's up and down season.

We haven't gone on the sort of horror run they did for several years and we won't this season.

I'm a pretty positive / half glass full fan but to be fair last season with the same manager and most of the same players we went on a "horror" run where we won 2 games in 18
and in 19/20 we had a run where we won twice in 19, and 18/19 we did a 2 wins in 18 run - the last 18 games of the season which resulted in Hughton's sacking,

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here