Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Is this for real?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
/me

Looks at OP previous posts. Looks at OP join date. Checks moderating decisions for bans around that time. Nods head sagely.

That has more than a hint of 'homework' too it.

For that reason I'm out.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
If I condemn the rich for not paying enough tax or indeed being too wealthy I cannot equally not question someone who is on the face of it exploiting the system.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I understand the £20 was an uplift, but to be honest this increase still didn't bring the amount awarded to anything like that required to drag people out of poverty, taking this away makes it even more difficult, coming into a time when winter bills will begin to hit.

I know there will be some, even on here, who will say if you can't afford to feed your kids don't have them, but that isn't the crux of the problem really!

None of us know individual circumstances, so judgement shouldn't be passed without that information.

As a previous poster said, it should be about educating people.

Whether benefits are fundamentally enough* is a different argument though, from "it's not fair they're taking away the emergency Covid uplift". Conflating the two isn't how I'm looking at it.

(*And where I 100% agree with you they aren't).

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Yes, it is for real, just as winter is coming and energy prices rise, a cut to benefits.

No VAT exemption on domestic fuel as Johnson and Gove were selling as one of the advantages of Brexit, when asking this woman and others to vote leave.
The Commons Work and Pensions Committee looked at this cut in February as it was originally due to be cut in March, they said keeping the higher rate until April 2022 must be the minimum.
The Minister for Work and Pensions criticised scaremongering over the expected cut in March, and said Rishi Sunak had "a proven record of stepping up to protect the poorest, the most vulnerable and disadvantaged in our country throughout this pandemic and I have no doubt he will continue to do so" he didn't say, "continue to do so for 6 months and then that's it."

The extra cash is estimated to cost the Treasury £6 Billion for the coming 12 months, clearly a big expense, and we can see why they are keen to end it.
A bit frustrating though, when we know mates of Ministers got rich (or richer), on contracts for PPE that was shit or did not exist, and Brexit related waste and expense is still adding up. Still, **** em, they will only spend the extra cash in the UK economy, probably on fags and booze, whereas Ministers mates will probably do really useful things, like hide it in offshore Bank accounts, or stick in a trust.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Saying "shouldn't have the kids" is easy. So what's the solution then, sterilisation for the poor? And what of the kids who are here already, are they advocating taking kids off poor parents and putting them in care until they either get rich or get adopted by a rich family?

Calling your child Khaos really can't bode well for his future can it?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Calling your child Khaos really can't bode well for his future can it?

I'd imagine it'll work out alright for the Kardashian kids...

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The papers delight in printing stuff like this because they know the pitchfork mob love a bite. The Argus is classic.

Certainly, having five kids is irresponsible if they can't be supported. But the idea that people shouldn't be allowed to have families is disturbing. All a bit 'Keith Joseph'.

The idea that there is a feral underclass should only be considered against the backdrop of a feral elite that has been leading us for years.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Do you have Sky / a mobile phone contract / Netflix etc?

If yes - cancel them

If no - let’s talk

….

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
What has not really been mentioned on this thread, is that prices have risen significantly recently since the £20 uplift started. Certainly my fuel (Petrol, gas and electricity) costs have significantly increased, as has the cost of my weekly supermarket shop. If I am feeling it, I can imagine that a lot of people are really struggling and not just 'freeloaders', people who work all the hours under the sun in low-paid jobs.

And, as a follow-up thought, as can be seen from my bio, I live just outside of Barnsley where house prices and rent are dirt cheap compared to the South East. I cannot imagine how people in low paid jobs with families are feeling right now in affluent areas.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
The papers delight in printing stuff like this because they know the pitchfork mob love a bite. The Argus is classic.

Certainly, having five kids is irresponsible if they can't be supported. But the idea that people shouldn't be allowed to have families is disturbing. All a bit 'Keith Joseph'.

The idea that there is a feral underclass should only be considered against the backdrop of a feral elite that has been leading us for years.

but to a large degree it is true. I chose to wait until I was ready, both financially and mentally to have a child. I then had 1 which means I can do the very best I can for him.

I earn less than many people I know (but yes more than many others) but it means I am not in the horrendous situation that girl is in.

I dont know what the options are - but having 6 kids before your 26th birthday shouldnt be one of them. No matter how much she loves them all they will not get a fair start to life. She can not give them all enough time and care. They will be cramped and will have to share things or go without. I imagine that conflict and arguments are never far away and this will lead to potentially another 6 people growing up in poverty and without an easy way out. and the cycle continues.

Perhaps one kid that she could really bond with and nurture would have been better for them both, now she will probably have a hard life with no chance to better herself.

Of course I have no idea of her situation and shouldn't comment on her life choices as we don't know how she got to this point. The article doesn't mention a father and she could have a wonderful extended family who all pitch in but 6 kids is still a handful.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Can't afford to look after kids, then don't have kids. Certainly don't have 5 and then bitch about how much free money you get handed.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

Not sure anyone is saying that people should not have a family what they are saying (as you do) is that parent should be primary responsible for the bringing up of their children and that includes financing them.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Not sure anyone is saying that people should not have a family what they are saying (as you do) is that parent should be primary responsible for the bringing up of their children and that includes financing them.

She is primarly responsible, but is receiving financial assistance, which is about to be cut, against the advice of The Commons Work and Pensions Committee which said keeping the higher rate until April 2022 must be the "bare minimum". This is for all people receiving Universal Credit top up which is for those with children or a health condition, hopefully some of whom at least will be people that you feel are deserving of assistance, not just people who have more kids than you think is reasonable and with daft names, like Sixtus or Anselm.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Can't afford to look after kids, then don't have kids. Certainly don't have 5 and then bitch about how much free money you get handed.

What about the 62 year old gent who was made redundant 2 years ago, who says he can only afford to eat a couple of times a week as it is, can he have a moan?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Are you saying that the poor shouldn't have children? ???

Only Prime Ministers and leaders of the HoC should have six or so. Actually, thinking about it, when was Boris Johnson last in Hull?

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
What about the 62 year old gent who was made redundant 2 years ago, who says he can only afford to eat a couple of times a week as it is, can he have a moan?

What does that have to do with not being able to pay for several children?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here