Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Is this for real?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Calling a child Khaos is a crime in itself isn’t it?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
"Is this for real?"

Open to see link to The Daily Star. :lolol: :bowdown:

I was expecting Mailonline - So chapeau, well played.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
As we all sit here laughing at Leicester we should also feel for others. Most here don't worry about money and paying bills. That £5 you spent on a pint you had post match. There are families who could have fed themselves with that £5. Times are very hard for many many people and now the Government are taking away £20. Are we within our right to slam a girl who wants a family? Living off the state for some may be a right but not everyone chooses that route.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
As we all sit here laughing at Leicester we should also feel for others. Most here don't worry about money and paying bills. That £5 you spent on a pint you had post match. There are families who could have fed themselves with that £5. Times are very hard for many many people and now the Government are taking away £20. Are we within our right to slam a girl who wants a family? Living off the state for some may be a right but not everyone chooses that route.

Totally agree, For some as well it has been a way of life. Growing up on benefits and known little different.

So many of us are so lucky, have a decent and steady income but could so easily have been different. When my wife and I had our first child I was temping and she was made redundant. She then retrained as a nurse - we used benefits for the 4 years that took but I think that the following 11 years have more than repaid that debt to society? Those years were hell and I ended up in a lot of debt, stressed and not sleeping as I tried to make ends meet.

So much of this is about education and helping people to be self sufficient and not rely on this. £20 sounds like nothing but I honestly don't believe that a single one of the people being impacted by it are enjoying the stress and worry of what is to come

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
How did she survive before the payment increase?

Kind of agree. The amount she gets is just going back to what it was previously, now the Covid top-up is over.

I get that struggling to survive on benefits is a hard life, and every penny counts, but this is like having a go at a shop that last week had a temporary promotional 5p off a pint of milk, but is now going back to the regular price.

The ‘special’ bit wasn’t ever meant to last. That’s not to be heartless, it’s just the basic point.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Kind of agree. The amount she gets is just going back to what it was previously, now the Covid top-up is over.

I get that struggling to survive on benefits is a hard life, and every penny counts, but this is like having a go at a shop that last week had a temporary promotional 5p off a pint of milk, but is now going back to the regular price.

The ‘special’ bit wasn’t ever meant to last. That’s not to be heartless, it’s just the basic point.

I understand the £20 was an uplift, but to be honest this increase still didn't bring the amount awarded to anything like that required to drag people out of poverty, taking this away makes it even more difficult, coming into a time when winter bills will begin to hit.

I know there will be some, even on here, who will say if you can't afford to feed your kids don't have them, but that isn't the crux of the problem really!

None of us know individual circumstances, so judgement shouldn't be passed without that information.

As a previous poster said, it should be about educating people.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Saying "shouldn't have the kids" is easy. So what's the solution then, sterilisation for the poor? And what of the kids who are here already, are they advocating taking kids off poor parents and putting them in care until they either get rich or get adopted by a rich family?

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
I understand the £20 was an uplift, but to be honest this increase still didn't bring the amount awarded to anything like that required to drag people out of poverty, taking this away makes it even more difficult, coming into a time when winter bills will begin to hit.

I know there will be some, even on here, who will say if you can't afford to feed your kids don't have them, but that isn't the crux of the problem really!

None of us know individual circumstances, so judgement shouldn't be passed without that information.

Whilst I agree with your agreeing, it's more than education. Our society is run by those whose privilege is beyond our personal fantasies of wealth and success. This economic system is built on keeping most of us down and then a diet of sh*t media and TV (the ruling ideas in any society are the ideas of the ruling class). When I see Towie and Love Island sold as reality TV I wonder if we should face the fact that perhaps civilization is dead and we need to start again in a nicer way. On the bright side 12 points from the first 5 games and I'm back in the zone.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

Unfortunately there are and have been many out there who have chosen the route of professional parent to a large family, knowing that the state and other organisations will fund their futures. In my book not a sensible decision and probably not fair on the kids longer term. But, as you say, it’s all about choice. Giving a poor family £20 a week for a prolonged period and then expecting them to easily give it up without consequences is pretty naive of the government.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
/me

Looks at OP previous posts. Looks at OP join date. Checks moderating decisions for bans around that time. Nods head sagely.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Unfortunately there are and have been many out there who have chosen the route of professional parent to a large family, knowing that the state and other organisations will fund their futures. In my book not a sensible decision and probably not fair on the kids longer term. But, as you say, it’s all about choice. Giving a poor family £20 a week for a prolonged period and then expecting them to easily give it up without consequences is pretty naive of the government.

It's a bit of a double whammy as the price of food has gone up significantly in the last year as well. I would like to think the government is being naive, but honestly think they are inept and don't give a monkeys as it does not affect them.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Saying "shouldn't have the kids" is easy. So what's the solution then, sterilisation for the poor?
As the previous poster has said, there is an answer (and obviously a much better one!).

The difficulty lies with people who don't learn from it. After all, having five kids (with a sixth on the way) by the time you're 25 isn't exactly unavoidable.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It's a bit of a double whammy as the price of food has gone up significantly in the last year as well. I would like to think the government is being naive, but honestly think they are inept and don't give a monkeys as it does not affect them.

The problem is we have a Government pathologically incapable of accepting it's done anything wrong about anything, and doing something about the current crises would be tantamount to admitting there are problems with decisions it's made (e.g. excluding lorry drivers from their acceptable occupations list for immigration purposes). So they won't fix anything and will instead bury their collective head in the sand and desperately hope a new crisis comes along which they can pin it on.

"No it's not Brexit, it's Covid, honest."
"No it's not our Covid response, there's a global shortage..."

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
She should be getting maintenance payments from the dads, plus one or more part time jobs to pay the bills.
There are lots of work-from-home jobs right now, which are an absolute bonus when you have small children and can't leave the house.
When I was a single parent I was working for at least 10 companies in the evenings, often into the early hours.
You can get some free nursery care each week, which gives you a few hours to go out and work.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here