Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Energy crisis

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
But presumably the price increases are the same / similar if you lived in France, Germany, Spain etc?
I doubt if the price rises will be the same in other European countries, remember, we flogged off all our state owned industries in order to fund tax cuts at the time.

I would not be surprised if several of our foreign owned energy suppliers are subsidising their home energy costs with the profits they make here, much as what happens with Rail and bus franchises.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I doubt if the price rises will be the same in other European countries, remember, we flogged off all our state owned industries in order to fund tax cuts at the time.

I would not be surprised if several of our foreign owned energy suppliers are subsidising their home energy costs with the profits they make here, much as what happens with Rail and bus franchises.

Well, you would be wrong. Spain tops the list for energy prices in recent weeks hence their subsidy plan currently undermining the EU’s policy on reducing carbon emissions.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The only way the Government should be bailing out companies is if they are making absolutely no profits whatsoever on anything they're selling. If they are discovered to be so later on then a 100% windfall tax should do the trick.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Hey let's bail out these multimillion pound companies because they refuse to let their profit margins drop. ****ing disgrace.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

no. they are talking about bailing out the smaller providers, because they dont bother to hedge properly, cant absorb the price changes. the larger providers will be expected to manage situation better. like last time this happened (about 10 yrs ago), they'll run at a loss while people bitch about how much profit they're making.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
This is what the climate movement is about.

Its not an environmental movement, its built and financed by the large energy companies. They want to make states all over the world sell their "dirty" and/or "dangerous" energy production to private hands, as well as regulate smaller energy companies out of business so that they can be aquired by th bigger fishes.

It is the oligarchy seizing the means of production through their propaganda outlets, army of corrupt scientists and bribed/dumb politicians. And the common people obviously buy into it just like they buy anything if you put some hype behind it, as shown over and over again throughout history.

Since this lobby movement is fully aware that however much people pretend to be concerned about the climate, they would never ever give up personal comfort to do **** all about it so energy consumption is going to continue to be high and probably increase and since states sold their tools of producing energy, they have to buy it for a lot of money from the ones they sold their coal / nuclear / water planets to.

Its a manufactured crisis. But its a win-win situation.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Cider, Guinness, Kegged Bitter, Craft Beers don't count then?

well Kegged bitter can do one. Guinness uses nitrogen doesnt it (not sure on source), cider and real beer are better with their natural CO2. :smile:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'm with Bulb - had been looking to change but hadn't got round to it. No surprise with todays news that their app seems broken and all historic bills (i.e to get your annual usage) are currently 'unavailable' ???

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
I'm with Bulb - had been looking to change but hadn't got round to it. No surprise with todays news that their app seems broken and all historic bills (i.e to get your annual usage) are currently 'unavailable' ???
UK energy supplier Bulb in talks to secure new funding

The UK’s sixth largest energy company, Bulb, is seeking a bailout to stay afloat amid surging wholesale gas prices.

The company, with 1.7m customers, is working with the investment bank Lazard to try to shore up its balance sheet.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It looks like almost all providers have anything 'on hold' until they sort their pricing out

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
It looks like almost all providers have anything 'on hold' until they sort their pricing out
They are demanding the pricing cap is lifted.

And if it is, prices will soar for everyone

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Part of the issue with the smaller firms going bust is that they buy gas and electric on an as you use it daily basis, whereas the bigger firms buy months and even years ahead at set prices (Think fixed term mortgages v variable rate) . That works great for the small firms when costs are cheap, but as soon as costs go up, they are affected very badly and basically run out of cash, as they are paying the increased prices. Added to that is the practice of some of enticing customers with cheap monthly DDs (Bulb seemed very good at this I think) only to raise them months later when customers had built up large deficits unknowingly. This means they have less money available to pay for energy already used and to buy on a daily basis., and are now in deep do do

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Industry group Oil & Gas UK said wholesale prices for gas had increased by 250% since January - with a 70% rise since August.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Could be a perfect storm brewing if/when the Evergrande shit hits the fans...

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
UK food supplies will be under threat long before Christmas, and could start affecting stocks within days, if carbon dioxide shortages continue, the boss of the Iceland supermarket chain has warned.

While concerns have been raised about how CO2 shortages might harm Christmas food supplies as grocers start stocking up for the holidays, Iceland’s managing director, Richard Walker, said the problem – which has been compounded by the shortage of HGV drivers – could affect UK supermarket shelves much sooner.

“This is no longer about whether or not Christmas will be okay, it’s about keeping the wheels turning and the lights on so we can actually get to Christmas,” Walker told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Well, you would be wrong. Spain tops the list for energy prices in recent weeks hence their subsidy plan currently undermining the EU’s policy on reducing carbon emissions.

Exactly this. Electricity prices have rocketed here in Spain in the last 3 months and last August prices were up by 35% on the same time the previous year.

Not helped by the government adding a tax to the basic price and then charging 21% IVA on top (reduced temporarily ((to December)) to 10%). This in a country with so much sun and natural resources and that also, until very recently, penalised you if you wanted to install solar panels! This was so it protected the electricity supply companies and their profits.

Anyway things have now changed and the junta de Andalucia is currently offering 40% grants to install solar systems at private houses - and yes we are!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
They are demanding the pricing cap is lifted.

And if it is, prices will soar for everyone

But Johnson said that energy prices would be cheaper when we left the EU,

For a start he could now remove VAT (as we have left the EU) from home energy prices to ensure that everyone can afford to heat their homes this winter.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013

For a start he could now remove VAT (as we have left the EU) from home energy prices to ensure that everyone can afford to heat their homes this winter.
"wholesale prices for gas had increased by 250% since January - with a 70% rise since August"

I don't think BJ saw a price increase like that coming

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

In the context of events in world markets that is a very silly comment. You are not the only one trying to shoehorn Brexit into this thread and it does rather illustrate a lack of knowledge of the subject.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here