Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Energy crisis

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Is anyone else following this?

Rocketing gas prices, CO2 shortages, energy firms going bust...

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I know it’s increasing everywhere but is it in line with the EU? Obviously some impact of leaving the EU internal energy market I suspect

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Genuinely scary times ahead. Energy costs are the tip of the iceberg. There is a perfect storm of shortages of drivers and workers in key areas which is going to cause rapid inflation as businesses compete for staff or try to hold on to the ones they have.

As usual the poorest will suffer most, especially those who are losing their Universal Credit top up.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I know it’s increasing everywhere but is it in line with the EU? Obviously some impact of leaving the EU internal energy market I suspect

Why do people always presume this ? You are way off the mark. There is a global shortage of gas. China has been aggressively buying LNG for months. Couple this with very low storage levels in the EU, post lockdown demand increases and the politics around the new Russian pipeline (Nordstream 2) and we have an enormous price spike. Germany in particular has major problems ahead as it has difficulties satisfying its power demand with its rapid move away from coal. Interesting times.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Genuinely scary times ahead. Energy costs are the tip of the iceberg. There is a perfect storm of shortages of drivers and workers in key areas which is going to cause rapid inflation as businesses compete for staff or try to hold on to the ones they have.

As usual the poorest will suffer most, especially those who are losing their Universal Credit top up.
Energy firms are demanding the price cap is removed and are asking for bail outs.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
The only advantage of global warming is that now we rarely need to put the heating in until February, and ony then for a few weeks. Thankful for small mercies.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Why do people always presume this ? You are way off the mark. There is a global shortage of gas. China has been aggressively buying LNG for months. Couple this with very low storage levels in the EU, post lockdown demand increases and the politics around the new Russian pipeline (Nordstream 2) and we have an enormous price spike. Germany in particular has major problems ahead as it has difficulties satisfying its power demand with its rapid move away from coal. Interesting times.

That’s why I asked if the same level of increase are being seen to households in the EU

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

its more to do with shifting reliance to wind for power, there has been a lack of wind across Europe so gas reserves have been used up. meanwhile other countries buying up supply have driven up prices. we get most our gas imports from Norway, US and Qatar, a little from Russia via EU pipelines. pricing is international and thats the real problem, not the supply, its available but costs alot more than a year ago.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
its more to do with shifting reliance to wind for power, there has been a lack of wind across Europe so gas reserves have been used up. meanwhile other countries buying up supply have driven up prices. we get most our gas imports from Norway, US and Qatar, a little from Russia via EU pipelines. the real problem is the price, not the supply, its available but costs alot more than a year ago.

But presumably the price increases are the same / similar if you lived in France, Germany, Spain etc?

Yoda

English & European
CO2 shortages is not a new thing. I remember the guy who used to run my local saying there was a shortage in either 2018 and so they were struggling to get half their stock in.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
But presumably the price increases are the same / similar if you lived in France, Germany, Spain etc?

yes, the problem with prices are right across Europe and beyond.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
That’s why I asked if the same level of increase are being seen to households in the EU

Spain (and possibly Italy) seem to be going down the route of subsidizing utility bills. They face exactly the same market dynamics as we face but are looking for short term solutions. Whatever is done with have knock on effects though. One idea has been to sell more carbon emission permits to raise cash for the subsidy. The problem with this idea is that it seems to have broken the link between carbon pricing and gas. Gas is through the roof again this morning and carbon is supposed to rise to prevent a switch to coal. Permit selling (or the prospect of it) keeps a lid on carbon which is making coal once again a viable power input. To explain a little further the carbon market was created to create a financial cost to pollution and burning coal is a major source of demand for permits. EU politicians looking for short term popularity are in danger of disrupting this mechanism and setting back the target of carbon emission reduction.
Some more background for you on the problem on the continent;

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-58556073.amp

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
I don't understand this CO2 thing. One minute they're saying there's too much of it, now apparently there's a shortage! Make your ****ing minds up.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
CO2 shortages is not a new thing. I remember the guy who used to run my local saying there was a shortage in either 2018 and so they were struggling to get half their stock in.

At risk of being whooshed the CO2 referred to here is the carbon emissions market. There is a year on year structural shortage of permits by design as the whole purpose of the market is to disincentivize pollution. It is working but is currently under stress because of events in the global gas market.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
I don't understand this CO2 thing. One minute they're saying there's too much of it, now apparently there's a shortage! Make your ****ing minds up.
CO2 is used in various ways across various industries as a by product when gas is being burnt.

Nuclear power, hospitals and killing animals in a humane way are some of those uses.

Now a shortage in those sectors would be devastating

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
"John Redwood

(@johnredwood)

Price controls do not work. Energy bills will go up despite them. Taxpayers will have to help bail out companies damaged by them.

September 20, 2021"

Thanks, John. (Tory MP)

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
CO2 is used in various ways across various industries as a by product when gas is being burnt.

Nuclear power, hospitals and killing animals in a humane way are some of those uses.

Now a shortage in those sectors would be devastating

Don't forget beer

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Hey let's bail out these multimillion pound companies because they refuse to let their profit margins drop. ****ing disgrace.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here