Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton - "more ruthless, less ballet"

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Game management has improved. Take the first 10 minutes yesterday where we hardly had a touch, we managed to shut up shop and not give it away with a silly risky pass while under lots of pressure.

First half of last season we probably would've folded and baeen behind early, I guess that goes hand in hand with the mental strength but I think a lot of it is down to awareness and decision making.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
100%, We also definitely go toe-to-toe with teams that dip into the dark arts more these days. As much as GP is a footballing philosopher, he also appreciates the need to be physically imposing.

This. Some energetic ball robbing and getting a foot in is always pleasing. Not just Biss. It amuses me to say this, also, but Duffy is a massive upgrade on White (in terms of providing a better defensive balance).

Regarding overall, I'm with [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION]. Small margins and early days.

Potter has made a few small adjustments, some planned, some out of necessity, and the trajectory has been positive. The older I get the less concerned I become about individual games and the more I consider the trajectory. So far so good.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Is this a change in approach or the team and Potter with a year’s more of experience and learning? Difficult to say. The only thing I can say with confidence is Potter is about learning and slow evolution; we so clearly improve each and every season.

My biggest concern now is that he will be snaffled up by a bigger club. I also think he will be the perfect coach for England.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
As you said - 'we can't get titsy about not getting results then get titsy about getting results but not looking pretty'.

I do take issue with your stance that we are now more rugged.
They've played some lovely football this season.
Some of the linking between phases has been sublime (thank you Mr Trossard).

I think GPott has struggled with his team selections.
He's giving a good impression of a man who can't find the words to go with the film, until it's all laid out in front of him.
Quite the opposite to last season when he was attempting to force his script into the movie irrespective of what was happening on the screen. (ouchy that was laboured)

The wingbacks will be back, MC's heat map was considerably more wing than back and Tariq (touch wood) will be even further forward.

Finally I think we really ought to nod towards the fixture list.
Naturally, being TeamDuffy I attribute yesterday's win to his wall-like qualities.
But I'm not sure we would have won were we only on 3 points after being bitch slapped by Citeh, Liverpool and to a much lesser extent Arsenal.

We win yesterday in part because we hung in there to win v Brentford the week before.
Fine fine margins.

Completely agree.

As above, I'm not sure there is too much to differentiate from last season, we've started this season how we finished the last. Other than Watford and Everton, each game has been decided by a single goal, as you've said, fine margins are the difference between looking at W4 D0 L1 to W1 D2 L2.

I'm not sure I'm in for this thinking we're suddenly mentally tougher, not as pretty, more ruthless. Performances last season at times were excellent but absolutely fine margins went against us. The first half v Brentford as an example, no one could have complained at being 2 or 3 down. Everton was a performance that perhaps was as bad as any in comparison to the last 2 years under Potter.

We're progressing nicely under GP. For an hour yesterday we were at the ballet and outplayed a very good team for a substantial part of the game, then hung on for dear life. I'm not tempted to re-write that some transformation has occurred in the team, seems like they're just getting their just rewards rather than any great changes.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Talking after the game yesterday with a couple of long time home and away Brighton fans and one started the conversation with the assertion that we are far more ruthless this season - I agree and used the phrase "more ruthless, less ballet". By which I mean we seem to be caring about the result more than the performance.

After a couple of games, particularly as we delivered an excellent performance as well against Watford, it could just have been the way we started but after 5 games it seems to be a bit of a pattern. In three of the five games we've won by a one goal margin having not dominated the game. Our xG and possession stats are lower. Oh, and we've had some luck. All last season with no luck at all, Now big slices, whether it was Burnley hitting the post or the VAR decisions going our way yesterday.

For me, at least part of this is down to White going and Duffy coming in. We've had to abandon the slavish adherence to wing backs. Yesterday we looked like we'd lined up as 4-3-3 to match Leicester, albeit that Cucerella was pushed up high the way Liverpool use Robertson (what a signing MC looks too) and when we needed to dig in an fight at the back we did.

It also suits our strikers. Two goals from strikers again yesterday and Maupay is in the form of his life.

In short, it seems that Potter has brought a bit more rugged football to go with the rugged look - without resorting to long ball nastiness or a low block.

I obviously love it but what do you prefer - the pretty patterns and missed chances or getting results from difficult situations?

In short - no.

I don't think that there is any conscious decision to change approach. Any adaption to our style of play has been purely driven by available personnel.

We are still taking every goal kick short (until the late tactic yesterday to hit BDB out wide to relieve pressure), still passing it around at the back, still trying to suck teams onto us, then try to play through them. Obviously a right side of defence made up of Duffy and Veltman, is going to press the 'safe' button earlier than Webster, White and Lamptey, in the same situation.

And the bits about 'ruggedness' and 'digging in'? We conceded an 'equaliser' from a corner, allowing the ball to bounce inside the six-yard box, and the smallest player on the pitch, to score. Then, having been reprieved by a very tight offside, we then concede another, to a free header from 6 yards. Either of those gaols count, and you don't make this post.

Literally, the one thing in your OP that is unarguably true, is that we've finally had a little run where the tight margins / fortune have fallen our way. It is a BRILLIANT start to the season, and an absolutely fantastic win yesterday, but I think people are trying too hard to find specific reasons for the form, that don't really exist.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I've got to admit, there is a part of me that is a complete sucker for purist, tika taka type football. I watch a tonne of you tube of Iniesta and xavi etc and I love it. There was a masochistic part of me that loved last seasons offering of incredible build up play, woeful finishing and weekly 90min plus heartbreak

But this season's gutsiness has been great to watch as well.

I'm dreaming of a time when, we get the pretty triangles working, Lallana hits his straps, Lamptey is tearing it up and big Shane is still making the blood and thunder last ditch challenges. We could have both.

el punal

Good post. Mental toughness was another thing that came up post match and I agree, it's a good improvement.

And this was apparent yesterday. For the last half hour of the game we were under the cosh but absolutely resolute in defence, dare I say magnificent. Forget the the controversy of the two offside goals, our commitment was 100% and the fans recognised this. The last few minutes had just about everyone in the West Upper standing and cheering the boys home - that was glorious.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Being less predictable is the key, and recognising when to go long or when to make pretty patterns. The players are now able to do this for themselves on the pitch instead of waiting for Potter to give instructions, which has all been achieved on the training ground under Potter and the training staff.

Exciting times.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I don't think you should underestimate Premier League experience. From the squad yesterday Big Bob, Biss, Tross, Maupay, Moder, McAllistair, Lamptey are all still very young and there's 7 years more experience over last season just there.

Add in a regular starting Lallana and Welbeck and Duffy back and the team is far more experienced than last season :thumbsup:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Is this a change in approach or the team and Potter with a year’s more of experience and learning? Difficult to say. The only thing I can say with confidence is Potter is about learning and slow evolution; we so clearly improve each and every season.

My biggest concern now is that he will be snaffled up by a bigger club. I also think he will be the perfect coach for England.

Yep pathetic to say it, but being a tad neurotic, I was thinking yesterday, as the Leicester equalisers kept flying in, that a draw would be an acceptable result for keeping GP off the radar a bit longer. The two north London clubs are my biggest irrational concern on the Potter grab front.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
We're playing a whole season with a proper goalkeeper and we've maintained the form from January of last season onwards. It's no coincidance that replacing Ryan has resulted in better results and defensive record. We've had a very favourable start to this season and we've taken full advantage. Winning is a habit and we're currently on a roll. I'm very pleased with the results this season so far and long may it continue.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
More ballet please

grahampotter.jpeg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Potter isn’t afraid to adapt and he definitely learns.

Against Everton we made the fatal mistake of allowing Demarai Grey the freedom of The Amex. Yesterday we put both Veltman and Solly on the brilliant Harvey Barnes, particularly after the first ten minutes.

We’re not now afraid to time waste, hoof a clearance, play the percentages, manage a game to see it out and claim the points. All of that was an anathema to earlier Potter.

Yet we’re still playing some good stuff and I think we’ll improve aesthetically as Moder, Mwepu etc develop.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
100%, We also definitely go toe-to-toe with teams that dip into the dark arts more these days. As much as GP is a footballing philosopher, he also appreciates the need to be physically imposing.

Not quite dark arts …but it did amuse me to see Leicester fans ‘booing’ Sanchez yesterday for the time he was taking goal kicks ….given that Schmeichel is well known for it

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Noticeable that Cucurella, on reaching 'point X' (that being the spot at which Brighton players traditionally stop, turn round and either pass back, or inside to switch the ball to the other wing) pinged across a fast, low level cross towards a Brighton player, frequently resulting in a shooting chance - or even a shot!

Let's hope it takes him a long, long time to 'learn' the Brighton way!

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
In short - no.

I don't think that there is any conscious decision to change approach. Any adaption to our style of play has been purely driven by available personnel.

We are still taking every goal kick short (until the late tactic yesterday to hit BDB out wide to relieve pressure), still passing it around at the back, still trying to suck teams onto us, then try to play through them. Obviously a right side of defence made up of Duffy and Veltman, is going to press the 'safe' button earlier than Webster, White and Lamptey, in the same situation.

And the bits about 'ruggedness' and 'digging in'? We conceded an 'equaliser' from a corner, allowing the ball to bounce inside the six-yard box, and the smallest player on the pitch, to score. Then, having been reprieved by a very tight offside, we then concede another, to a free header from 6 yards. Either of those gaols count, and you don't make this post.

Literally, the one thing in your OP that is unarguably true, is that we've finally had a little run where the tight margins / fortune have fallen our way. It is a BRILLIANT start to the season, and an absolutely fantastic win yesterday, but I think people are trying too hard to find specific reasons for the form, that don't really exist.

We certainly got out of gaol :)

You're right though. If their equalizer had counted I'd have been far too busy on [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] 's "Two points dropped or one point gained?" thread.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
For me, there isn't much difference between this season and the end of the last in the way we play but there are little things that are making the difference in a game of fine margins:

Maupay - there wasn't much wrong with his play second half of last season, it's just that he's a striker and ultimately he didn't score much and that affects confidence. This season, he has 3 already.
Duffy and Albion are a marriage made in heaven. We sold White and that freed up a space which he has grabbed. Duffy had a torrid time at Celtic but he's come back, looks fit and has slotted as if he was never away. I reckon Duffy appreciates this club as much as we appreciate having him - he certainly plays like it.
Trossard - infuriating for sure but his class has never been in doubt and he has changed as a player not so much this season but over this calendar year - he's far more composed in front of goal and we're seeing the benefits. There aren't many players I'd rather have with the ball at his feet 20 yards from goal and 2 or 3 tired defenders in front of him in the last 10 minutes of a match.
Of the others, Cucurella looks an inspired signing and we've still got the likes of Lamptey and Webster to come back.

Away from these fine margins at a player level, I'm not sure Potter is doing much different. The days when there were rumblings of discontent over him seem to be a long gone now. I'm delighted for him really - he's stuck to his guns and continued to play a way that makes this club look like we belong at this level.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
For me GP’s more pragmatic approach and acceptance that he does in fact need a Duffy type player in defence has made us a much tougher nut to crack when under pressure…so far.

GP is learning, the team is learning and we’ll only get better bar long term injuries to key players like Biss, Mwepu is nowhere near ready to step into his boots.

4th is nosebleed territory and we definitely won’t be staying there, just hope the negative nellies don’t come out with both barrels blasting when we inevitably lose a few games on the bounce and tumble down the table.

BTW, I think I love MC, that chip and sprint past a player was sublime and I’m more used to seeing it when it’s against us. Cult hero already and he’s just two games in, the improvement, when he had a decent debut, from last week was pleasing.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I agree that the overall mentality throughout the squad is better - tougher, comfortable without the ball, patient.

It's interesting how we've done without Gross in these last 2 fixtures. I actually think the likes of Lallana and Trossard have both raised their game and it affords us the luxury of playing March who can then assist on either flank if called upon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here