Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton - "more ruthless, less ballet"

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Talking after the game yesterday with a couple of long time home and away Brighton fans and one started the conversation with the assertion that we are far more ruthless this season - I agree and used the phrase "more ruthless, less ballet". By which I mean we seem to be caring about the result more than the performance.

After a couple of games, particularly as we delivered an excellent performance as well against Watford, it could just have been the way we started but after 5 games it seems to be a bit of a pattern. In three of the five games we've won by a one goal margin having not dominated the game. Our xG and possession stats are lower. Oh, and we've had some luck. All last season with no luck at all, Now big slices, whether it was Burnley hitting the post or the VAR decisions going our way yesterday.

For me, at least part of this is down to White going and Duffy coming in. We've had to abandon the slavish adherence to wing backs. Yesterday we looked like we'd lined up as 4-3-3 to match Leicester, albeit that Cucerella was pushed up high the way Liverpool use Robertson (what a signing MC looks too) and when we needed to dig in an fight at the back we did.

It also suits our strikers. Two goals from strikers again yesterday and Maupay is in the form of his life.

In short, it seems that Potter has brought a bit more rugged football to go with the rugged look - without resorting to long ball nastiness or a low block.

I obviously love it but what do you prefer - the pretty patterns and missed chances or getting results from difficult situations?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I agree.
It's also worth mentioning that the 12 points we've taken this season, whilst being easier games, are all from the type of games we were failing to win last season.
I think the difference is mentality.

I made the argument in pre-season, that there were many more points to be had, by toughening up our mentality than by signing a striker.
We dropped 20 odd points last season from winning positions, despite not scoring enough goals.
There was an argument to be made that we were good enough to be top half, in every aspect of the game, apart from mental toughness.

My guess is that has been the focus in pre-season.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
Mike Bailey once said "I am in the results business,if you want entertainment go to a circus"

I would not go that far,but Potter certainly seems to have taken a more pragmatic approach.I would rather see us grind out results than play pretty football and lose.

Early days and good to see Big Shane back

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
My take is we are far more robust than previous and are not now bullied out of games.

Also we are taking the chances better when created and defending a lot better which as proven so far, albeit we have had easier games, we can win games that probably we would have drawn previously.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I agree.
It's also worth mentioning that the 12 points we've taken this season, whilst being easier games, are all from the type of games we were failing to win last season.

I made the argument in pre-season, that there were many more points to be had, by toughening up our mentality than by signing a striker.
We dropped 20 odd points last season from winning positions, despite not scoring enough goals.
There was an argument to be made that we were good enough to be top half, in every aspect of the game, apart from mental toughness.

Good post. Mental toughness was another thing that came up post match and I agree, it's a good improvement.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Not sure it is a binary choice but if so I would go for results over performance. In reality it’s finding the right balance. There will be some games where the pretty football will assert itself and others where we dig in. Maybe we will see both within games.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As you said - 'we can't get titsy about not getting results then get titsy about getting results but not looking pretty'.

I do take issue with your stance that we are now more rugged.
They've played some lovely football this season.
Some of the linking between phases has been sublime (thank you Mr Trossard).

I think GPott has struggled with his team selections.
He's giving a good impression of a man who can't find the words to go with the film, until it's all laid out in front of him.
Quite the opposite to last season when he was attempting to force his script into the movie irrespective of what was happening on the screen. (ouchy that was laboured)

The wingbacks will be back, MC's heat map was considerably more wing than back and Tariq (touch wood) will be even further forward.

Finally I think we really ought to nod towards the fixture list.
Naturally, being TeamDuffy I attribute yesterday's win to his wall-like qualities.
But I'm not sure we would have won were we only on 3 points after being bitch slapped by Citeh, Liverpool and to a much lesser extent Arsenal.

We win yesterday in part because we hung in there to win v Brentford the week before.
Fine fine margins.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Not sure it is a binary choice but if so I would go for results over performance. In reality it’s finding the right balance. There will be some games where the pretty football will assert itself and others where we dig in. Maybe we will see both within games.

Yep, I don't want it to be binary or I'd have added a two choice poll.

Against Watford we had both performance and cutting edge. Against Everton neither. And for the game coming up next Monday I'd quite like a performance similar to the one at the Amex last season but with us winning 7-0 instead of losing 2-1.

We also didn't JUST play 4-3-3 yesterday by any stretch. That Potter fluidity came to the fore as we dug in and brought on Dan Burn

But hopefully we've seen the back of a whole season full of draws where we've had 65% possession and an xG of 3.5 (actual goals, 1).

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

We also played some of our best football last season against the better teams and, as detractors don't stop reminding us, we've had an easy run so far. Arsenal, City and Liverpool will give us a different kind of test

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
My take is we are far more robust than previous and are not now bullied out of games.

Also we are taking the chances better when created and defending a lot better which as proven so far, albeit we have had easier games, we can win games that probably we would have drawn previously.

100%, We also definitely go toe-to-toe with teams that dip into the dark arts more these days. As much as GP is a footballing philosopher, he also appreciates the need to be physically imposing.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I agree.

yep , i think the naivety has been drilled out of the team .....finally.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
yep , i think the naivety has been drilled out of the team .....finally.

Its almost as if managers need time to learn and hone their craft with a consistent squad of players then impart that knowledge onto.

Crazy talk - it'll never catch on.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Some of the play yesterday, especially from Lallana, Trossard and Cucurella was most definitely ballet. It was lovely to watch (although in terms of pure liquid football the Leicester goal was the painful highlight). But it was also very noticeable that we matched their physicality. Duffy, Bissouma and Maupay standing out in that regard, but even the likes of Trossard getting stuck in when needed. We did get very very lucky imo, but we put ourselves in a position to take advantage of that luck when it came.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Its almost as if managers need time to learn and hone their craft with a consistent squad of players then impart that knowledge onto.

Crazy talk - it'll never catch on.

the team , as a group have had a collective naivety , almost dumbness about them since the championship days , you just know that 2 seasons ago we don't win yesterdays match , it's nailed on that vardy skips away to score the winner in the 92nd minute after we played most of the 2nd half with 10 men.......is it too early to believe that those days are behind us on a permanent basis .....i hope so :) i'm loving this season so far.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I don't think team spirit has been lacking over the past couple of seasons but there were times in the last 10 minutes yesterday where we seemed to have 4 or 5 players charging in to close down shots, or two or three sliding in simultaneously while another couple provided an outlet...a real feeling of collective purpose. Thinking back to some of the games last season it feels like while the effort was the same it was less collective and therefore less effective. e.g. Sheffield Utd all the players seemed to be working so hard, but to so little effect because it was all individual. A real feeling that every position was playing out of their skin for their team but on their own. That's something that seems to have changed this season maybe, but started last season (Leeds at home stands out as a game I saw that collective resolve in too). I think the defence leads by example in how they work together, and as they've got stronger since Sanchez came in their influence on the whole team has got stronger too.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I think we are making better decisions to avoid mistakes and allow ourselves time to re group. At times (the right time it seems) Sanchez is kicking the ball earlier leaving us less predictable to the press.
Very early in ydays match Lallana “hoofed” the ball upfield into space. There was a collective gasp. However, it took the sting out of Leicester’s attack and pattern of play and allowed us to re group and get our shape.
Duffy is doing a sterling job and in doing so is leaving Dunk to tidy up and lead the team.
More ruthless? Yes
Less Ballet? Yes
More thought? Yes

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth

We could do with Fred Binary again.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Of course, that undefinable, ethereal notion of 'good fortune', 'rub of the green' and such is going our way a bit too. We played better in games last season, but would miss a penalty (or 2), the tight offside goal against was given, we hit a post or put a clear header wide. The opposition score a worldy rather than put it in the stand.

You gain confidence through winning, and so you 'earn' the aforementioned good fortunate, but what this start doesn't do is draw a line under last season and suddenly create a new chapter. This has been a process and evolution under Potter, performances at times last season were even better, but we are edging results to the jaws of victory rather than that of defeat. Team spirit, belief, style of play have all been a work in progress and we're now seeing the results that we were more than due last year.

Crowd played it's part too. Think we're drawing or losing that game without the crowd fully behind them for those final 15mins.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here