Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League clubs by points 21/22

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Four distinct groupings of clubs have emerged for likely positions this season.

1st-4th
Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea & Man Utd

5th-10th
Tottenham, Leicester, Everton, Arsenal, Brighton & West Ham

11th-16th
Aston Villa, Leeds, Wolves, Southampton, Brentford & Crystal Palace

17th-20th
Watford, Burnley, Newcastle & Norwich

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Where are you seeing these four distinct groupings after just 5 games and when, for example, West ham are on the same points as brentford?! ??? The top 4 is pretty obvious, and probably Norwich, but the rest at this stage?

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Without sounding like a gloom merchant how many of our 5 games can you safely say we deserved to win?

Watford at home for me

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
It’s way too early to make such an assessment. Let’s not forget that Southampton were top of the Premier League at one point last season and they subsequently ended up in a relegation battle!

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Without sounding like a gloom merchant how many of our 5 games can you safely say we deserved to win?

Watford at home for me

How many games did we deserve to lose last season? Elite sports are about the ‘fine margins’ and ‘marginal gains’. When we have excellent passages of play we are punishing teams this season, and when we’re holding on (grimly yesterday against a fantastic PL jinx side) we are solid and fortunate. That comes with experience and having a cracking first team squad (our bench yesterday was crazy). I played golf with a couple of Tony’s very senior oppos three years ago and they said he segmented the PL into four divisions and the long term aim was to get in the second! Even at five games in, looking at the table is smile inducing:)

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
How many games did we deserve to lose last season? Elite sports are about the ‘fine margins’ and ‘marginal gains’. When we have excellent passages of play we are punishing teams this season, and when we’re holding on (grimly yesterday against a fantastic PL jinx side) we are solid and fortunate. That comes with experience and having a cracking first team squad (our bench yesterday was crazy). I played golf with a couple of Tony’s very senior oppos three years ago and they said he segmented the PL into four divisions and the long term aim was to get in the second! Even at five games in, looking at the table is smile inducing:)

Can’t disagree with the last sentence

However, I’m talking about this seasons performances and this years points tally and to me they don’t stack up. Only Watford can be seen as a fair result based on the victor showing greater quality of performance for larger parts of the game. In all others a draw would most likely have been a “fair” result other than Everton.

So on reflection a “fair” points tally would look more like 6.

Not complaining but simply putting it into perspective, enjoying it but not getting carried away.

UTA

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Isn’t the received wisdom that the table has an approximate look of the final standings after ten matches? There will always be some movement: teams which go on a monster run or those that drop like a stone, but in general terms, most clubs are within a few places of their final position by that stage.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Four distinct groupings of clubs have emerged for likely positions this season.

1st-4th
Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea & Man Utd

5th-10th
Tottenham, Leicester, Everton, Arsenal, Brighton & West Ham

11th-16th
Aston Villa, Leeds, Wolves, Southampton, Brentford & Crystal Palace

17th-20th
Watford, Burnley, Newcastle & Norwich

Utter rubbish. You cannot possibly make these assumptions so early in the season. There are absolutely NOT four distinct groupings of clubs, although pretty much everyone agrees with the top four group.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012

However, I’m talking about this seasons performances and this years points tally and to me they don’t stack up. Only Watford can be seen as a fair result based on the victor showing greater quality of performance for larger parts of the game. In all others a draw would most likely have been a “fair” result other than Everton.

Not complaining but simply putting it into perspective, enjoying it but not getting carried away.

UTA
Who is getting carried away ? But I think the team is a lot better than you are giving them credit for .

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Very much enjoying things so far, but we've had a very kind fixture list, and quite a bit of good fortune. Let's not get TOO carried away!
Absolutely. We have gathered points at a rate of 2.4pts per game so far. If we kept that up we would end up with 91pts and win the title...!

If we halve our points gathering rate to a more realistic 1.2pts per game over the next 33 matches - then we end up with 52pts.

This will secure a top 10 finish within "Group 2" of the quadripartite league table.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2

UTA
You must appreciate the irony when comparing to the frustrations of last season though? All of the things we were criticised for last season, ie. not clinical enough, failing to see games out, conceding sloppy late goals, failing to beat the lesser sides. We've scored 2 goals in 4 of our 6 games so far this season (including cups), and have delivered at just at the right time in many of those games - that alone is cause for celebration, regardless of how dominant we've been in our general performances.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
You must appreciate the irony when comparing to the frustrations of last season though? All of the things we were criticised for last season, ie. not clinical enough, failing to see games out, conceding sloppy late goals, failing to beat the lesser sides. We've scored 2 goals in 4 of our 6 games so far this season (including cups), and have delivered at just at the right time in many of those games - that alone is cause for celebration, regardless of how dominant we've been in our general performances.

Yep. I do agree.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Very much enjoying things so far, but we've had a very kind fixture list, and quite a bit of good fortune. Let's not get TOO carried away!

A kind fixture list on paper, yes, but they're the type of games that would've ended up in draws or defeats last season.

But, like you, I'm not getting carried away. Very much of the 'one game at a time' mindset...

theboybilly

Watford at home for me

We could have easily been 3-0 down at h/t at Turf Moor, we bettered Watford but cruised for large portions of the game. Everton was closer than the final score reflected. A draw would probably have been a fair result at Brentford. And we were very fortunate yesterday. I'm pleased with where we are but I can't help thinking we are still vulnerable. I knew Leicester would storm back at us yesterday as they are no mugs and have so much quality. We were hanging on, I just can't get carried away

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Ah I see we're safe already and nothing can possibly go wrong now, even with our traditional collapse around Christmas / January (last season excepted)

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
im definitely not getting carried away and will only look to book flights if we get a nice easy group without Munich, PSG, Madrid or Barca.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here