Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Not interfering with play

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I agree but we’re playing a high risk game. You can see that this tactic was done on purpose, our back line is very high on the corner, no players on the post.

But it seems high risk to me. Are we relying on an opposition player being offside? Dunk, Duffy or Burn should be stopping the header, Ndidi should have been marked tighter. I hope we don’t use this tactic again because it clearly gave the opposition an advantage in getting to the ball first as our back line seemed more worried about positioning (and playing the opposition offside) than marking.

Yeah this.

Now that it's been highlighted on MOTD referees may think twice about overturning it too.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
As others have said, Barnes is trying to get in the way of Sanchez coming out for the cross whilst also obscuring his view. Even if Sanchez has a split second view of the header, there is no way Barnes is not a distraction / interfering with play. If it was a shot from the edge of the penalty box and Barnes was either side of the post, then maybe. But if you stand within one or two feet in front of the goalie then you are in play, regardless. Both decisions correct.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Two things for me:

1. Take Barnes out of there and Big Bob is coming out to catch those crosses.
2. Some people moan when we don't position defenders inside the posts for corners - now they'll have a better tactical awareness why.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
if barnes is not interfering with play, why has rogers told him to stand there?

Absolutely this.
Rogers instructed Barnes to stand in front of the keeper. Ergo his intention was to interfere with play. He succeeded and that coincided with being in an offside position. Correctly flagged & “goals” disallowed.
Lucky for us. Unlucky for them. But absolutely correct.

The penalty? It was as much a foul as Tarkowski on Maupay at Burnley. Referees and VAR have a way to go.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
But the cross was a corner, and you can't be offside from a corner, and the offence was offside not a foul.

I think we got lucky, particularly on the second one, but we've deposited a heap of bad luck in the piggy bank, so I've got no issue with making a few positive withdrawals now.

Went up to bed and realised my mistake regards the offside and corner.... So that goal probably should have stood but as you say there have been heaps of bad decisions against us in past.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Marvellous watching the away fans celebrating the goals and then pundits and others moaning. Payback time and loving it.

Definitely THIS, especially seeing that cringing smug celebration made by Rogers of two arms in the air whenever Leicester score a ‘goal’ which to me implies that he believes he deserves the credit as they wouldn’t be able to score without his ‘brilliant coaching’ seeing him quickly drop his arms following the refs decision was great to watch. Definitely payback following his same celebration after the last minute winner we conceded in the cup match against them last season.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Maybe not line of sight but Barnes would've been in Sanchez's peripheral vision for the second one and stood in a space Rob could've moved into during the play. Marginal at best. Saying that the ball was past him in a flash so v unlucky Foxes.

As for Maupay - yes he did impede Vestergard - should've been a foul. Of course there's the Tarkowski push that didn't go our way - this was very similar to when Arsenal's keeper was impeded by the Brentford defender for the second goal of that game. Why are they letting these go?

Whitley Bayster

Jul 4, 2011
Whitley Bay Tyne and Wear
Have to say, having seen it all properly on MOTD I’m gonna back track.

Pen - foul by Maupay - but so was Tarkowski’s on Maupay at Burnley so evens it up.

Offside 1 - no question - offside.

Offside 2 - he does push Sanchez and get in his way but when N’didi heads it he’s not interfering at all - should have been allowed.

Agree with MOTD pundits here. But my word last season and the season before we had way more shit luck than most teams - so I’ll take it, obviously…!

I do also remember the cup game that was a bit sketchy when a few of our players thought the ball that had gone out was going to be thrown back on etc and they took a quick corner - I’m sure there are other decisions Leicester have got against us but can’t recall - so swings n roundabouts…

The Barnes push was initiated whilst in an offside position as the ball was kicked. Therefore he is offside for interfering with play. The fact that Sanchez wouldn't have got close to the subsequent header is irrelevant because of the nudge

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The Barnes push was initiated whilst in an offside position as the ball was kicked. Therefore he is offside for interfering with play. The fact that Sanchez wouldn't have got close to the subsequent header is irrelevant because of the nudge

You can’t be offside from a corner! He’s only offside once N’didi headers it - so what happens before that is irrelevant.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Take a look at Burnleys goal against us, and the blocking off of Sanchez, not offside because at the point Tarkowski heads it, we have players on the line, but I would argue it is an obstruction. I think it was no accident that Barnes was left to be in an offside position, it is a response to the blocking the keeper tactic, and it worked out for us this time. Other officials in other games may see it differently, and we concede a goal that might have been blocked by a defender on the line, but it is a much studied action, how your opposition take and defend corners, how officials tend to see certain actions, what will and won't have a decent chance of being judged in your favour etc. and then the Manager needs to make a choice as to the best way to deal with it. Seems GP got it right to me.

Edit: Obstruction rule is gone, impeding is the offence now.

Last edited:

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Definitely THIS, especially seeing that cringing smug celebration made by Rogers of two arms in the air whenever Leicester score a ‘goal’ which to me implies that he believes he deserves the credit as they wouldn’t be able to score without his ‘brilliant coaching’ seeing him quickly drop his arms following the refs decision was great to watch. Definitely payback following his same celebration after the last minute winner we conceded in the cup match against them last season.

[TWEET]1439920249407787011[/TWEET]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here