Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] VAR - Man of the match

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Barnes is an idiot. Why would you stand right in front of the keeper when you’ve already had one goal ruled out from doing it. We cleared the box quickly knowing he was just standing there offside and luckily the assistant referee was sharp enough to notice it.

This.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The linesman was man of the match. He called the offsides and they weren’t obvious errors so had to stand despite the fact that Sanchez wouldn’t have saved either..

I’m not sure this is correct. The tv showed all the VAR images and they scrutinized all three decisions to see if they were correct or not.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
We had some absolutely shocking luck last season with refereeing/VAR decisions. Every club says that, but we demonstrably did, evidenced out through our xG among other things.

We were enormously fortunate today with the decisions and I am delighted about it. Finally some evidence that the old "it all comes out in the wash" adage is, eventually(!) true.

1. The handball. First watch I jumped out of my seat - all I saw was a stone-wall handball. But... VAR clearly showed Maupay was blatantly fouling Vestegaard and it should have been a free kick to the Foxes. VAR completely missed that one. Very, very lucky decision for us and poor one if you're a Leicester fan or neutral.

2. Their first disallowed goal. A bit harsh. An argument for offside, but wouldn't have been given by VAR if not flagged originally by the assistant referee. A bit dodgy but ultimately defensible umpire's call in our favour.

3. The benefit of another "umpire's call", the kind of one which makes cricket fans want to scrap the rule completely. Again, given by the assistant referee - but should've been overturned. This one wasn't "harsh" - it was plain incorrect. Extremely lucky again with this one.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Penalty, we got lucky. If you put a man offside at a corner to distract the keeper don’t moan when it’s picked up, stop cheating is my advice :shrug:

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Penalty, we got lucky. If you put a man offside at a corner to distract the keeper don’t moan when it’s picked up, stop cheating is my advice :shrug:

This.

They were in an offside position and the lino concluded they had interfered with play, a reasonable conclusion when you're offside standing in front of the GK.

VAR isn't going to overturn that, unless no one was standing in front of the GK.

Stupid tactic from Leicester.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
My honest assessment of the incidents - penalty - shouldn't have been given, Maupay was fouling their CB. However the two disallowed goals from the corners were correct imo, they were soft but on both occasions Barnes made contact/blocked the vision of Sanchez - it was a stupid tactic that shouldn't have been repeated after the first time.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
On the second offside, the ref didn’t signal anything and looked straight at the linesman.

Who very slowly raised his flag.

The ref knew it was offside.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Yes maybe we were a bit fortunate but tbf I still think Maupay is suffering from his assault by Tarkowski and deserved his good fortune. We were the best team for a good portion of the game, had more shots on target and deserved our luck. Well played Albion!

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
The goals were correctly disallowed. Leicester didn’t play within the laws of the game. How is that luck?

It was lucky because our pen was a foul by Maupay that VAR really should have asked the ref to look at and Barnes wasn’t actually blocking Sanchez view for the second so could have easily stood and went down to interpretation. Pen more lucky than the disallowed goal.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Is clear an obvious error how it works for offside VAR, thought it was always objective?

Edit: although a player in front of the GK would have to be a subjective decision?

Yes the subjectivity is whether he was blocking Sanchez view and therefore interfering. Could have gone either way but once the lino called it not enough in it to over turn.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I’m not sure this is correct. The tv showed all the VAR images and they scrutinized all three decisions to see if they were correct or not.

VAR correctly allowed the 2 offsides to stand as wasn’t a clear error (but second was arguable wether there was actual interference) but the pen was hard to argue Maupay wasn’t committing a foul. Anyway who cares it went our way and we won.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
A match where the SWC or South end of the ESL are the best seats in the house. Must have been some fantastic back and forth between the fans, and backfiring twice on Leicester as their celebrations and goading were snuffed out...and then rammed back down their throats.
:amex:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It was lucky because our pen was a foul by Maupay that VAR really should have asked the ref to look at and Barnes wasn’t actually blocking Sanchez view for the second so could have easily stood and went down to interpretation. Pen more lucky than the disallowed goal.

The penalty is debatable, I agree.

But the offsides were not. And I agree Sanchez view was not necessary blocked. But Barnes was in an offside position and by being so close “ interferes with the movement of the opponent” and/or “ impacts on the ability of the opponent to play or challenge for the ball”.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Jeez. Beat Leicester for the first time in the PL, 3rd after 5 games and 12 points on the board and still some fans moaning because we got a bit of luck.

:wozza:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Jeez. Beat Leicester for the first time in the PL, 3rd after 5 games and 12 points on the board and still some fans moaning because we got a bit of luck.

:wozza:

Who is moaning?! Everyone is ****ing delighted. We had some bad decisions go in our favour. They were wrong, but we benefitted this time, which we certainly didn't last season.

Up the Albion!!!

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
If there's players in the clear in front of goal, the keeper will instinctively initially be in two minds as to where to go irrespective of he can see the ball clearly throughout. So if one of those players is in an illegal position, that's a foul.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here