Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Macron's not a happy lapin

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
what you and many fail to understand is the money flows to jobs, in manufacturing, R&D, supply chains, gives young people prospects. thats why France is pee'd, thousands of jobs will be moving from France to US/UK.

And what you and many others dont understand if eg your government didnt spend £40b on military they could spend it elsewhere and create work in others sectors (perhaps on things people actually need).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
And what you and many others dont understand if eg your government didnt spend £40b on military they could spend it elsewhere and create work in others sectors (perhaps on things people actually need).

This is Australia’s money being spent, not the UK’s.

They feel threatened in their region by the genocidal (Uyghars) Chinese state growing its navy by dozens of warships per annum, increasing their intimidation of any opposing or watching nation.

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003

They feel threatened in their region by the genocidal (Uyghars) Chinese state growing its navy by dozens of warships per annum, increasing their intimidation of any opposing or watching nation.

China is the biggest threat to world peace.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I doubt the UK gives much of a toss whether the deal to build the subs was with the French or the US as my understanding is that the bits they are providing were part of both deals.

The Australians want nuclear powered subs as they can stay quiet for much longer than the diesel powered ones of the previous deal.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
China is the biggest threat to world peace.

On Western terms they are, yes.

Pretty rotten regime, unashamed. Of that there is no doubt.

But there are no moral beacons. Western foreign policy has also been a threat to world peace forever.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Military spending to thwart the Chinese is useless.

"Please buy all our land, install your surveillance tech in our country and buy all the shares in all our significant companies while we pretend to give a **** through building some boats".

The way to stop China is to stop their investments and regulate the markets so that you dont export and import shit but the free market is apparently a holy gift from (a non-religious) God so unfortunately thats not possible.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia

You beat me to it, for those who do not understand I suggest they have a look at what Costa Rica has achieved by not (effectively) having a military. As to China being the clear and present danger, have a look to the causes of WW1 there are clear parallels between now and then, with the obvious point that a war between China, India, UK Aus US and whoever the European countries decide to align with would wreck the ability of the planet to support much more than microbes for a very long time.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

This.

The Japanese and South Koreans are thrilled by this upgrading of military hardware.

The fact the Chinese are pissed off about it lets you know the slimey little ****ers see a bunch of nuclear powered subs in the region as problematic for their plans.

Dec 29, 2011
On Western terms they are, yes.

Pretty rotten regime, unashamed. Of that there is no doubt.

But there are no moral beacons. Western foreign policy has also been a threat to world peace forever.

Just imagine if China had invaded two countries simultaneously like America did, or had overthrown dozens of regimes in the past 5 decades. Most don't consider it bad because it's reported positively on the news.

FIVESTEPS

Nov 3, 2014
If your quoted 40 billion and the bill rises to 90 billion i think your entitled to look elsewhere.

Jan 30, 2008
France have binned their ambassadors in US and Aus over the subs deal, apparently.

Lets be brutally honest most people in this country couldnt give a monkeys chuff about the French
Positive action from the UK free from the restraints of the EU ,global Britain is where it's at
🇬🇧

Regards
DF

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Too bad. Each day when I hear about the poverty in the world, the undefinanced health care, the lack of affordable housing, young peoples poor mental health, the environmental destruction, the people fleeing from way, I think to myself: we need some more nuclear-powered submarines.

Do you know your Navy has Subs that use a Stirling Engine? They are brilliant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here