Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The new normal and office attire - what to wear?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
One of the few things I have enjoyed about the lockdown period is the ability to work in casual clothing.

Pre-Covid, I would generally wear a work shirt, smart black trousers, black leather shoes and - occasionally - a suit for a meeting. However, my usual attire for the last 18 months has been polo shirt, jeans, trainers or suede loafers.

And in the last 18 months I have worked continuously, and clients I have met have dressed similarly to me.

As well as producing less washing and drying there is also a considerable time saving on ironing.

Therefore, I wonder whether we have reached the end of the road for traditional smart work attire? Or are those returning to the office being expected to wear what they wore before.

We have had a policy for years now that if you are not actually meeting people from outside the company then it is casual. The only time I put a suit on now is for Remembrance Sunday. Got several suits and loads of formal shirts along with lots of ties that I will probably never wear again. Should sort them all out and take them down the charity shop really.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
One of the few things I have enjoyed about the lockdown period is the ability to work in casual clothing.

Pre-Covid, I would generally wear a work shirt, smart black trousers, black leather shoes and - occasionally - a suit for a meeting. However, my usual attire for the last 18 months has been polo shirt, jeans, trainers or suede loafers.

And in the last 18 months I have worked continuously, and clients I have met have dressed similarly to me.

As well as producing less washing and drying there is also a considerable time saving on ironing.

Therefore, I wonder whether we have reached the end of the road for traditional smart work attire? Or are those returning to the office being expected to wear what they wore before.

Not really relevant to the discussion, but I've only worked in one office in my life (between 2000 and 2008), where the dress code seemed to be 'wear whatever you want. As a result, we had everything from someone in the full-on tweet suit, pocket-watch and possibly – at times – a monocle, to a guy in FULL Palace kit. Including shin pads!

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
At home I usually wear a polo shirt and shorts.

When I went into Canary Wharf yesterday I wore an open-collar shirt and chinos - albeit, that's what I normally wore before Covid...

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
We have gone back to 'work attire' in the office - which for Gents is shirt, smart trousers, smart shoes - occasionally suits for really important stuff (I have not worn a suit for nearly 2 years now...).

However, I now work from home most of the time - so I wear shorts and t-shirt and throw on a shirt if I have a meeting. We do have a rule that if you are attending a meeting from home, you have to appear to be wearing something similarly smart to what you would wear for a face-to-face meeting.

I must admit... as it starts to get colder, I was google-ing to see if there is such a thing as a work from home suit jacket - perhaps made from 'jumper' material, as that would be perfect for the winter months.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
Officially my company has not changed its dress code of smart business attire (no tie or suit jacket required) and we are all meant to be back in the office 3 out of 5 days. Not everyone is doing 3 days a week and many of those that are in are treating it as similar to a Christmas week (where rules tend to slip a bit) so many are in trainers and some are rocking jeans and t-shirts. Frankly it feels like we are just waiting for an HR email to gently request conformance to the rules and until then everyone is pushing the boundaries. I left my earring in yesterday, so now you know how much of a rebel I am.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

I would rather meet someone in a smart pair of jeans and a polo shirt than someone in an ill fitting nylon suit from Primark.

Please please let's bin the office suit. Or at least the embarrassing shite ones.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Officially my company has not changed its dress code of smart business attire (no tie or suit jacket required) and we are all meant to be back in the office 3 out of 5 days. Not everyone is doing 3 days a week and many of those that are in are treating it as similar to a Christmas week (where rules tend to slip a bit) so many are in trainers and some are rocking jeans and t-shirts. Frankly it feels like we are just waiting for an HR email to gently request conformance to the rules and until then everyone is pushing the boundaries. I left my earring in yesterday, so now you know how much of a rebel I am.

Out of interest, do you know why your firm has these rules? Are you more productive in suit trousers and a blue shirt?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
One of the joys of working for myself is not bothering with this sort of Corporate Shit. I turn up to work on my Clients site dressed as I please.

What I am doing for them doesn't matter if I'm in a 3 piece suit or a T-Shirt & shorts

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I must admit... as it starts to get colder, I was google-ing to see if there is such a thing as a work from home suit jacket - perhaps made from 'jumper' material, as that would be perfect for the winter months.

I saw this in a catalogue last week and laughed, but perhaps... ???

https://www.charlestyrwhitt.com/uk/...azers&pf=browse#cgid=knitwear-blazers&start=1

KNC0046NAV_MODEL_FRONT.jpg

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Was in The City on Wednesday and we actually had a conversation about whether the days of “no brown in town” are numbered. Seemed to be a lot more people dressed casually than before lockdown. A few in the old city ways but not as many.

I work for a Fintech start up and it’s totally casual in our office (black t shirts seem popular) but for now when we see clients it’s suit, white shirt and black shoes and belt. No tie these days and I can only see it getting more casual as people have worn what they want on video calls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Back to normal attire for us, white (or cream) shirt, blazer, tie (or bow tie), and shoes (or pumps).

You are Crodo and I claim my £5

Like others our pre-Covid office rule was smart business attire (tie not essential). Fridays though were 'dress-down'. And again like others it all went out of the window during the pandemic. We're drifting back to the office now, we all have to commit to at least one day a week - although it's still staggered as you're not allowed in at the same time as the person who sits next to you. No mention yet about going back to office attire, not even informal comments from managers.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
For my workplace it's whatever you want. Normally for me it's jeans and smart t-shirt or polo shirt, but many are much more casual than I. But then I work in the media (darling) .

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Ours has always been casual. Never once seen a suit in our office. Never for meeting either.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Shorts and polo shirt, all the way, here.

In fact, I don't think I've worn any long trousers at all since March, bar my cricket whites!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here