Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Happy birthday Des

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1438760234953097218[/tweet]

It was an impossible job to take over from Richard Whiteley.
Then Channel 4 announced Des and everyone collectively said:-

Nice.

Praise doesn't come higher than that.

Last edited:

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Is Des not well? I've neither seen nor heard anything about him for some considerable time now.

I was wondering the same thing, but perhaps he is just enjoying a peaceful retirement out of the limelight

One of the best TV sport presenters ever in my opinion, made it all look so effortless.

Happy Birthday Des.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Des is a legend :bowdown:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
[tweet]1438760234953097218[/tweet]

It was an impossible job to take over from Richard Whiteley.
Then Channel 4 announced Des and everyone collectively said:-

Nice.

Praise doesn't come higher than that.

'His departure was due to the travel requirements that his 2007 schedule required of him; despite an effort by Channel 4 to deal with this by changing the filming location from Leeds to a site closer to his residence in Worthing, West Sussex, viewers reacted angrily to the idea,[15] while Lynam decided it would cause considerable disruption for many of the programme's camera crew.'

Classy as you like :thumbsup:

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
Happy birthday Des. Bumped into him and Bobby Zamora near the end of the Withdean tenure. I shouted out legend and Bobby said thanks. I immediately had to admit it was Des I was ref erring too. :blush:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Is Des not well? I've neither seen nor heard anything about him for some considerable time now.

He sits/used to sit near us at the Amex, have to say over the recent years he became more and more frail, often being helped down the stairs to his seat. I've not seen him this season yet, but then I've only made it to one home game so far, will look out for him on Sunday.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He sits/used to sit near us at the Amex, have to say over the recent years he became more and more frail, often being helped down the stairs to his seat. I've not seen him this season yet, but then I've only made it to one home game so far, will look out for him on Sunday.

I hesitated to post this. Saw him being helped to a taxi just outside the 1901 entrance a couple of years ago. He looked very frail, sad as he’s not really that old.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Can remember back in the Withdean days, Des doing the very same thing for his mate Jimmy Hill, helping him to and from his seat.

Thats the passing of time for you.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I hesitated to post this. Saw him being helped to a taxi just outside the 1901 entrance a couple of years ago. He looked very frail, sad as he’s not really that old.

Well l'd say 79 is a fair age, even by todays standards. Des was always a very fit and good looking man in his hayday though, and maybe he just aged more quickly than some.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

Can remember back in the Withdean days, Des doing the very same thing for his mate Jimmy Hill, helping him to and from his seat.

Thats the passing of time for you.

Indeed :down::down:

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
I had the pleasure of cooking for Des at a fancy restaurant I used to work at one New Year's eve.

He was doing his best to get through the wine list, the absolute LAD, but when one of the waitresses told him I was a Brighton supporter he came into the kitchen to say hello, absolutely made my night.

Hope he enjoys his day

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Please inform me

Des is a very well-known and much-loved TV/Radio personality in the UK. He was born in Ireland but moved to Brighton at the age of six. He started his broadcasting career at BBC Radio Brighton (the now BBC Radio Sussex) in 1968. He went on to present Grandstand, the BBC ONE Saturday afternoon sport compendium programme, for 12 years. From 4:40pm they would have Final Score when all the results would come in. Basically, he would have been an almost ever-present in the lives of many of NSC's demographic for donkeys years.

He also happens to be a huge Albion fan. This is taken from the FA Cup quarter-final programme against Norwich City in March 1983:-

12345.jpg

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Absolute gent. Also, he went to Varndean, was in my late Dad's classes. Hope he's doing well. Match of the Day was never the same without him.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Des would have been an absolute legend in broadcasting even if he were a palace fan.
The fact he's 'one of us' just ices the cake.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Years ago, whilst working in the Barbour section at Harrods, I sold him a new jacket a couple of weeks before the Grand National. I slipped into the conversation that I was a Brighton fan and there followed a surreal conversation (from my point of view!) about the club we both love, whilst people walked past muttering "That's Des Lynam!"

A true legend that man

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
I remeber his first words to camera when opening tv coverage of some daytime England game -

"Shouldn't you be at work?"

I always preferred this one:

“Hello again, glad you’ve tuned in,” said BBC anchor Des Lynam on the evening of Wednesday June 26th, 1996. “You’ve obviously heard there’s a football match on tonight.”

Happy Birthday Des if you read this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here