Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] If you have the money/opportunity, would you be a "space tourist"?

If you have the money/opportunity, would you be a "space tourist"?

• Yep - bring it on!

Votes: 40 35.7%
  • Nah - I'm happy down here on earth, thanks

Votes: 72 64.3%

• Total voters

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Inspiration4 is due to launch in an hour or so, taking four "tourists" into space for three days, orbiting the earth at an altitude of around 350 miles.

NASA estimates there is a 1-in-270 chance of catastrophic failure - about the same as tossing a coin and getting 8 heads in a row.

If you had the money/opportunity, would you be willing to take the chance for some space tourism?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pv01sSq44w

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Watch " Gravity " then rethink that position.

Watched it already; position unchanged. 1 in 270 chance of a catastrophic failure? Pah; I’d go if it was 50/50. I’m going to die anyway at some point in the not too distant future; I can think of no way I’d rather go than experiencing space travel.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
No as I would not have the amounts required, anymore than I needed would have been gifted

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
In these days of electric vehicles, green energy and sustainability etc. why does this burgeoning business get a free pass?

Last edited:

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Without question.
Anything to do with going into space has always been top of my bucket list. I've been looking at doing an edge of space flight in either a MiG-29 or ideally a U2 spy plane as it can go to a higher altitude. It would be the most humbling experience, just a glimpse at the vastness all around us and how insignificant and yet potentially unique this planet is.
There's literally nothing I would rather do.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Absolutely not. What’s the point.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Blimey, I voted 'Yes' expecting it to be a landslide - and I'm currently very much in the minority (15%). Is it my age (64) and the fact I was brought up in the era of the Space Race, Neil Armstrong, etc? All anyone ever wanted to be was an astronaut. I'm slightly saddened by the fact that people's horizons seem to have shrunk so much.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
How much does it cost to tick this off your bucket list and apart from the thrill what is the point of this frankly obscene (almost certainly) amount of money being pissed away?

A quick google suggests a cost of USD 28 million

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd like to think if I had access to the required amount of money, I'd be a considerably better person than one who'd spend it on this vanity project.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
If you have the money/opportunity, would you be a "space tourist"?

Yes. But not for 20 years or so.

I need a big reduction in price along with a big increase in safety.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
I'm quite surprised the yes's are so low. It would be incredible to orbit the Earth and the thing that many astronauts say is that it gives you a whole new appreciation for the planet because you can see with your own eyes that it's so fragile and we all have to share what is a relatively tiny place.

Also you can dick about bring weightless!

Happy Exile

NSC Patreon
Apr 19, 2018
I'd love to go into space but that amount of money just feels like it could be put to better use.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Absolutely yes.

I did a parabolic flight a few years ago where I got to experience as low as 0.25G, which was an incredible experience in itself. To actually go to space would be an unmissable chance if I ever got it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Absolutely.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Watch " Gravity " then rethink that position.

Don't think you are helping your argument. I either get to visit space and survive or visit space and end my days with Sandra Bullock? :love:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here