[Politics] Stop Faroe Islands petition to Fifa and Uefa

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Last edited:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
It's sad. But more humans died building stadia for the world cup. FIFA and UEFA couldn't give a monkey's about wider social issues.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Keep politics out of football or else, where will it end?

China for the rohingya genocide, Iran, Iraq etc, there would be whole host of countries that will fall foul of someone's sensitivities.

What if the head of Fifa becomes a vegan and bans all players that eat meat?

I'm not condoning what the Faroe Islanders have done but it is their fishing waters and they've distributed the catch to the population for consumption.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Surely the Faroes already don't "compete" at international level?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Careful Brian May will be starting a petition to ask UEFA and FIFA to ban England and all English clubs due to our badger cull.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So what have dolphins got over, say, tuna fish ?

Oh thats right. They're cute, and look like they're smiling.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'll do it once every other country stops having any kind of impact on environment.

While I'm not 100% aware of the details of the Faroe Islands situation, I know that the ban on seal skin etc. caused Greenlanders to starve and increased their suicide rates to some of the highest in the world. There is a good documentary on it. Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4tfmdv5Z7w

Big nations (like UK) are the ones primarly destroying our environment but its a lot easier to demand stuff from smaller nations, to detract from the real issues. These dolphins may be cute but they are not a threatened species and likely quite important to the Faroe economy and as a food source.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
So what have dolphins got over, say, tuna fish ?

Oh thats right. They're cute, and look like they're smiling.

Well, I'm not going to write you a biology thesis, because after all, you have google, should you really wish to know the answer to that - but - in terms of brain to body ratio, learned skills, use of tools, communication skills, generational learning, social interaction, etc - quite a bit.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I saw some awful footage of whales being killed in the Faroe Islands. Nowt to do with FIFA or UEFA though, some things are best left separate, generally sports and politics shouldnt be mixed I think most would agree with that. Should we boot countries out of the Olympics for not hitting their carbon emission targets, or France out of the Euros for the refugee situation in Calais, na, needs to be a clear line I think. I'll sign petitions to protect dolphins and the environment, not this one though

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Well, I'm not going to write you a biology thesis, because after all, you have google, should you really wish to know the answer to that - but - in terms of brain to body ratio, learned skills, use of tools, communication skills, generational learning, social interaction, etc - quite a bit.

Not that I've any interest in this petition. Along the lines of other comments, you'd have to ban another 50 countries for similar ecological or ethical unpleasantries.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
please sign this petition to stop Faroe Islands competing in Uefa/Fifa competitions unless they stop slaughtering dolphins.
https://www.change.org/p/uefa-and-f...e=petition_published_onboarding_0&utm_term=cs

What's the difference between that and the fact that USA, Canada, Russia, Norway, Denmark, Iceland, Korea and Japan (among others) all kill whales "for scientific purposes"? I haven't seen the petition to FIFA/UEFA asking for them to be banned. Or is it because only the dolphins were headlined in yesterday's Guardian?

Different countries and cultures will always have different understandings of what is 'right' and 'wrong'. Let's not pick on a small country who does things differently to us just because they are small, leave the sport out of it

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Shouldnt matter unless you are some kind of reversed Pol Pot.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
please sign this petition to stop Faroe Islands competing in Uefa/Fifa competitions unless they stop slaughtering dolphins.

To be fair, it was pretty tight till the dolphins' centre-half got sent off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here