Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Positive article on Football 365

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Just read it myself.

I particularly liked this: 'Being ‘well-run’ doesn’t mean bankrupting your club by spending more on transfer fees and wages than it can afford or holding onto your best players until they can’t be bothered to play for anybody anymore'.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Just read it myself.

I particularly liked this: 'Being ‘well-run’ doesn’t mean bankrupting your club by spending more on transfer fees and wages than it can afford or holding onto your best players until they can’t be bothered to play for anybody anymore'.

I was just about to post that. Who could they be thinking of :lolol:

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
Great read. Good piece, well written. (can we swap this guy for Naylor?)

It's very positive and reads well, but I don't think it'll win any Pulitzers. I quibble with the bit about attendances, which were mainly a function of stadium capacity, and transfers. GP doesn't have a lot to do with them as far as we know. Then he writes that we were 'the unluckiest team in the league' but later says that 'the league table doesn't lie'.

There's nothing much here that you couldn't write from looking at Soccerbase and a few online articles. And did anyone ever really think that Bloom or Benham are the type of gambler he describes?

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Certainly not the usual uninformed lazy journalism.....
....... and that's NOT getting at Naylor or the Argus - it's getting at the "Seagulls after Edouard" and "Bissouma on his way to Spurs" stuff.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
It's very positive and reads well, but I quibble with the bit about attendances, which were mainly a function of stadium capacity, and transfers. GP doesn't have a lot to do with them as far as we know.

On the transfers stuff, I am sure GP will be "in the loop" somewhere. It has to be organised that they are not after people that he would not use in a month of Sundays, particularly in terms of people like Cucurella, who was NOT signed as a future prospect.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Just read it myself.

Is the author a Brighton fan?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Then he writes that we were 'the unluckiest team in the league' but later says that 'the league table doesn't lie'.

No, he says we were known as the unluckiest team in the league, a big difference in emphasis and doesn't contradict with the league table statement.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I think we have made the progress that we all hoped we would after last season. I think that last year we would have drawn or lost against Brentford. In fact, as I was watching City struggle against Leicester I aimlessly mused that it would be great if we were a bit more able to nick a win in games like then. Then of course I realised that we had done exactly that!! Something we struggled with last year.

I would temper this with the fact that we have mainly played teams who are likely to finish in the bottom 6. of course we struggled with them last year so we have certainly made progress.

Leicester will be interesting.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Played 4, won 3, scored 5, points 9, praised by Shearer on MOTD, now a positive news article saying we're completely reinvented.......what's going on??

****walks off shaking his head****

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The mad thing is we arguably haven't played THAT well so far this season.

Burnley - Dreadful first half, but turned it around well.
Watford - Fair enough, we were good.
Everton - We weren't at the races.
Brentford - Defended manfully but could've easily lost if they'd had their shooting boots on. Nicked a game that probably should've been a draw.

Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Good article and interesting for those that expected us to go large on a striker with the £50m from the Ben White sale burning a hole in Tony's pocket :

"The fee received for White covered the fees that they paid over the summer for Enock Mwepu (£18m), Kjell Scherpen (£4.5m), Marc Cucurella (£15.4m) and Abdallah Sima (£7m)".

Thats's £45m of the £50m already spent, not factoring their wages. Yes, substantial wages were saved by releasing many players but looking at the above figures it's not entirely surprising we didn't splash anything on a first team ready striker.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's very positive and reads well, but I don't think it'll win any Pulitzers. I quibble with the bit about attendances, which were mainly a function of stadium capacity, and transfers. GP doesn't have a lot to do with them as far as we know. Then he writes that we were 'the unluckiest team in the league' but later says that 'the league table doesn't lie'.

There's nothing much here that you couldn't write from looking at Soccerbase and a few online articles. And did anyone ever really think that Bloom or Benham are the type of gambler he describes?
I'm glad I'm not the only one. Just because an article is gushing about the club doesn't mean to say it's well written or offers anything resembling an insight.

Brentford - Defended manfully but could've easily lost if they'd had their shooting boots on. Nicked a game that probably should've been a draw.

Very true. A feature of this calendar year is that The Albion are often a different side in the second half when they've had the worst of things in the first. Potter is very good at changing things slightly to the team's benefit.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Good article and interesting for those that expected us to go large on a striker with the £50m from the Ben White sale burning a hole in Tony's pocket :

"The fee received for White covered the fees that they paid over the summer for Enock Mwepu (£18m), Kjell Scherpen (£4.5m), Marc Cucurella (£15.4m) and Abdallah Sima (£7m)".

Thats's £45m of the £50m already spent, not factoring their wages. Yes, substantial wages were saved by releasing many players but looking at the above figures it's not entirely surprising we didn't splash anything on a first team ready striker.

We've also paid fees for players who have gone into the u18's and u23s. It also ignores the Japanese fella. We even paid a fee for a womens player, so doubt we broke even this summer transfer fee-wise.

That said, I believe breaking even isn't the aim and I still think we would have bought the striker if the price was right.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

Agree with all this.

I think pace on the flanks rather than CM's filling in will make us a totally different team so am confident we'll improve. So will our quality of opposition though.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Aye and you know what footballs like ..we start playing better and then don’t get a positive result

el punal

What you have described probably applies to any team at any time in the season. We probably played better in a number of matches last season but not got the result we deserved. The bonus of our progress so far is the number of points gained - so a real confidence booster for the next set of matches.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here