Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BJs winter covid toolbox

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
How utterly ridiculous - you do yourself no credit whatsoever. Please explain to me why anyone, and specifically [MENTION=2223]e77[/MENTION], would want to be in lockdown again? It's utterly miserable for everyone, and also means, out of our sight, countless people are dying needlessly in pretty grim conditions, likely alone from their loved ones.

Those who are rallying for small minor inexpensive NPIs are doing so precisely because they DON'T want us to end up with harsher restrictions, up to and including some form of lockdown, in the months ahead.

What the models showed (and, again, for the hard of thinking: models are NOT predictions), regardless of how pessimistic they were, we would now be beyond the post-freedom day spike, and seeing all metrics improving quite markedly.

As it is, all metrics are now worsening. Cases, hospitalisations and deaths are all increasing at between 15% and 20% week on week. Hopefully they'll tail off again very soon, but no one can say they will.

I'm more inclined to listen to the likes of the British Medical Association and the NHS Confederation about the state of play, than an utter shitshow of a government who have repeatedly acted too late, meaning harsher restrictions being imposed on us all for far longer than otherwise needed to be the case.

Responding to his childish response to me

I’ve said I’ve been wearing masks when required and pro vaccine passport

But maybe chew out someone who hasn’t :kiss:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
If people had followed the guidance and worn masks when asked it would have reduced the chance of mandatory restrictions coming in later. Which, might I add is becoming increasingly likely by the day due to selfish people not wearing masks when asked.

If restrictions come in again then the blame in no small way rests on people who wouldn't wear masks when they were optional.

All your six form attempts at psychology won't change that.

This is just weird, you make a pointless comment about me not wearing masks I respond with a equally pointless comment and it’s sixth form psychology. :lolol:

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
According to the ONS, the number of people with covid in week ending 17th July was 741,700, or 1 in 75.. Now, it's 977,900, or 1 in 55. What date were you using for the "shielding ended"? 19th July was when the general restrictions ended.

Of course, the number of adults with coronavirus has fallen since July, but the number of children with it has vastly increased. Does that make a difference?

Ok, this will be my last post on this sub forum, as I am now completely fed up with the same Cabal of posters leaping on any concerned voice that doesn’t sing to their hymn sheet - you all know who you are.

Trying to shoot down my concern - again - in this case you have your facts wrong, just like the Business Secretary, which you wouldn’t admit.

Shielding, as I clearly stated, ended in April, in fact April 1st (yes, I know you couldn’t make it up) - I did get the next bit wrong though, as the infection rate was over 1 in 340 on March 19th, 2 weeks before shielding ceased, and went on to grow an even bigger gap by April, and at that time there was some mitigation in place.

So the situation is even worse, the current ONS figures are, as you say, now 1 in 55, with no mitigation, compared to to 1 in 340+ with mitigation. Yet the government is not prepared to even consider, or give an idea when things will get bad enough for them to consider, when some mitigation will be put in place.

There is still no understanding of the efficacy of the vaccine for the most vulnerable in our society, so back to my point of leaving the highly vulnerable unprotected.

And all you can do is come on here with the same school teacher attitude, educating all of us poor concerned saps. I am 100% sure you or one of your cabal will be along with a set of figures or whataboutery to disprove me, or just stamp all over my feelings, but do you know what, I don’t care, as I won’t be here to read it.

Flounce over and goodbye to the Covid forum - now where’s those anti-vaccine idiots on Twitter?

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Latest : BJ refuses to admit the government does not have a plan. Case numbers plummeting, down 3,000 on the day, and, we are so much better than the rest of the world at everything Coronavirus related.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Ok, this will be my last post on this sub forum, as I am now completely fed up with the same Cabal of posters leaping on any concerned voice that doesn’t sing to their hymn sheet - you all know who you are.

There's two "cabals" of posters. One - yours - saying we need to be deeply worried, more measures, everything is going to hell and one saying pretty much the opposite.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
We seem to have a group of people on here (and indeed elsewhere) who talk a lot about personal responsibility but aren't actually capable of exercising it. The recommendation to wear face coverings didn't actually change but it stopped being legally enforceable.

I know the government haven't exactly set a good example, and the slowness of vaccinating children versus the rest of Europe hasn't helped, but it is obvious too many people aren't capable of exercising common sense and consideration to others and it looks increasingly likely legal mandates will return because of it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There's two "cabals" of posters. One - yours - saying we need to be deeply worried, more measures, everything is going to hell and one saying pretty much the opposite.

Apart from one isolated voice, I don't think there's anyone else at all in the second group you describe.

However, there is a group that is actually "None of us want to end up under strict restrictions, such as the lockdowns we have previously experienced, so if we can do some small things now that could help us, why the devil would we not do them".

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Responding to his childish response to me

I’ve said I’ve been wearing masks when required and pro vaccine passport

But maybe chew out someone who hasn’t :kiss:

Fair enough - apologies for taking you literally. I have read plenty of other people claiming people want lockdown. Apart from some people who genuinely fear for their lives should they become infected, possibly, I can't think of anyone else who would - it means lots of bad stuff is going on.

(I had no idea of your views on masks and vaccine passports - I was just responding to the "wanting a lockdown" comment)

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Fair enough - apologies for taking you literally. I have read plenty of other people claiming people want lockdown. Apart from some people who genuinely fear for their lives should they become infected, possibly, I can't think of anyone else who would - it means lots of bad stuff is going on.

(I had no idea of your views on masks and vaccine passports - I was just responding to the "wanting a lockdown" comment)

Fair.

On a separate note - Virgin are due to have another sale over Black Friday weekend.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I despair when even the simplest mitigations which cost us pretty much nothing get argued about. Yet when the government has to change tack from plan B to plan C and lockdown because they buried their heads in the sand they will be the first to moan about their liberties and quality of life. Seriously, the message at this stage should be simple, wear a mask, meet outdoors or with good ventilation and other than that go about pretty much normal life.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014

Trying to shoot down my concern - again - in this case you have your facts wrong, just like the Business Secretary, which you wouldn’t admit.

Shielding, as I clearly stated, ended in April, in fact April 1st (yes, I know you couldn’t make it up) - I did get the next bit wrong though, as the infection rate was over 1 in 340 on March 19th, 2 weeks before shielding ceased, and went on to grow an even bigger gap by April, and at that time there was some mitigation in place.

So the situation is even worse, the current ONS figures are, as you say, now 1 in 55, with no mitigation, compared to to 1 in 340+ with mitigation. Yet the government is not prepared to even consider, or give an idea when things will get bad enough for them to consider, when some mitigation will be put in place.

There is still no understanding of the efficacy of the vaccine for the most vulnerable in our society, so back to my point of leaving the highly vulnerable unprotected.

And all you can do is come on here with the same school teacher attitude, educating all of us poor concerned saps. I am 100% sure you or one of your cabal will be along with a set of figures or whataboutery to disprove me, or just stamp all over my feelings, but do you know what, I don’t care, as I won’t be here to read it.

Flounce over and goodbye to the Covid forum - now where’s those anti-vaccine idiots on Twitter?
Firstly, my apologies for missing your clear statement that shielding ended in April. I have read the original psot again and still can't see the word April, but no matter. I think you're overreracting slightly in telling me I shouldn't ask for clarification about a date - clearly to you "when shielding ended" is synonymous with 1st April and can't be mistaken, but not all of us have minds that work that way.

Secondly, I appreciate your concern about your feelings. It must be upsetting when someone rudely puts across a different viewpoint from yours, and I fully understand that the correct response to someone who (apprarently rudely) disagrees with you is to be even ruder and to disagree louder. I will learn from you.

Thank you for your interesting contributions.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I despair when even the simplest mitigations which cost us pretty much nothing get argued about. Yet when the government has to change tack from plan B to plan C and lockdown because they buried their heads in the sand they will be the first to moan about their liberties and quality of life. Seriously, the message at this stage should be simple, wear a mask, meet outdoors or with good ventilation and other than that go about pretty much normal life.
It is October. Meeting outside is not practical. If the option is to meet outside or meet with windows and doors open, then it is no option at all.

Coniston has 6 inches of rain forecast next week. Perhaps it's as well it's half term or there would be some pretty cold children!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
We seem to have a group of people on here (and indeed elsewhere) who talk a lot about personal responsibility but aren't actually capable of exercising it. The recommendation to wear face coverings didn't actually change but it stopped being legally enforceable.

I know the government haven't exactly set a good example, and the slowness of vaccinating children versus the rest of Europe hasn't helped, but it is obvious too many people aren't capable of exercising common sense and consideration to others and it looks increasingly likely legal mandates will return because of it.

Have you got any proof to back up the statement

“We seem to have a group of people on here who talk a lot about personal responsibility but aren't actually capable of exercising it.“

I’ve seen one person openly admit they don’t wear a mask and posts regularly on this sub forum.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Have you got any proof to back up the statement

“We seem to have a group of people on here who talk a lot about personal responsibility but aren't actually capable of exercising it.“

I’ve seen one person openly admit they don’t wear a mask and posts regularly on this sub forum.

Several people have said that after 'Freedom Day' they haven't worn a mask.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here