Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BJs winter covid toolbox

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
BJ called a press conference tomorrow at Downing Street to outline the covid strategy for the country over what is likely to be an extremely difficult winter. Joining him will be Chris Whitty and Pat Vallance who will underline the perilous state we currently lie in and the extreme pressure already on the NHS.

Looks likely no new restrictions will be introduce for now and it will remain with people to use their common sense to distance where possible and wear masks but if rates continue to rise they are likely to be reintroduced.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/13-things-boris-johnson-announce-24971494

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
The full plan is here

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-response-autumn-and-winter-plan-2021

On first glance doesn't seem to go nearly far enough and John Ashworth quite rightly questioning it and what will happen if 'Plan B' doesn't work.
No offence, crodo, but to people like yourself, there is no possibility of Plan A or Plan B working, and I doubt that Plans C,D,E, all the way up to Z would work either. What you are after, I believe, is that the risk of getting ill or dying from coronavirus should be zero. Correct me if I'm wrong.

There is no human intervention that will ever reduce the risk to zero. To do so would have to involve worldwide lockdowns on the Australian model but much more severe, and would kill far more people (especially in the poorer countries) than it would save. The only way the risk will ever approach zero is if the virus itself mutates and becomes less lethal. What mankind does will not affect that.

If, however, I am wrong and you are willing to take an "acceptable" level of risk, then the only variable is what level is acceptable. We seem (looking at daily activity) to be at a stage where risk levels appear to be acceptable to most. And of course those who disagree can remain in lockdown as they could and did in March 2020, or at less onerous lockdown as they prefer. We have the option.

As for this report, the government has a plan. They even have a plan B for if things get worse. They haven't published all the other plans up to Z for further degrees of getting worse, but I am sure (given the experience of the last few months) they could cobble together a new plan every day. And implement a new plan every day, for that matter. Worry about how things are, if you must; try not to worry about what might be; but please, don't worry at all about things that almost certainly will not happen.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Fairly much as one expected.

The irony of course is the people who are enjoying the lack of legally enforceable restrictions by not wearing face masks on public transport, etc, are at the same time going to be the ones who moan most if Plan B comes in and are going to help Plan B happen by modifying their behaviour when it is advisory.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Fairly much as one expected.

The irony of course is the people who are enjoying the lack of legally enforceable restrictions by not wearing face masks on public transport, etc, are at the same time going to be the ones who moan most if Plan B comes in and are going to help Plan B happen by modifying their behaviour when it is advisory.

Cases are falling again, what people are doing at this current moment is working

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
He's got everything in his toolbox that he had in March 2019 with the added tool of vaccines.
Plan B, this time involves mask wearing a lot earlier rather than his 2019 plan of 'masks are s**t and pointless'. Improved LFT's that apparently produce more accurate results, some sort of contact tracing. Social distancing has been so ingrained into most that they do it whenever possible anyway.
I'm sure he'll just 'follow the science' like he has since Jan 19!
Kids are going to be vaccinated even though the JCVI said it would be of limited benefit, so they don't miss any school (unless they have to take time off due to side effects of the vaccine).
It's all going to be fine, unless he doesn't keep up to date with world events & ignores any virus strains from other countries, It's not as if he's ever done that before is it!

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
He's got everything in his toolbox that he had in March 2019 with the added tool of vaccines.
Plan B, this time involves mask wearing a lot earlier rather than his 2019 plan of 'masks are [obscenity deleted] and pointless'. Improved LFT's that apparently produce more accurate results, some sort of contact tracing. Social distancing has been so ingrained into most that they do it whenever possible anyway.
I'm sure he'll just 'follow the science' like he has since Jan 19!
Kids are going to be vaccinated even though the JCVI said it would be of limited benefit, so they don't miss any school (unless they have to take time off due to side effects of the vaccine).
It's all going to be fine, unless he doesn't keep up to date with world events & ignores any virus strains from other countries, It's not as if he's ever done that before is it!
I take it you're saying that he should not have followed the science and should have ordered mask wearing even when the WHO said not to?

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
So am I correct in saying that the "plan" is to get as many jabs into arms as possible (Mr Johnson's pet phrase) and hope - that's it?

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
So am I correct in saying that the "plan" is to get as many jabs into arms as possible (Mr Johnson's pet phrase) and hope - that's it?

That and to ask people to wear a face covering and meet outside. Both of which are optional.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
I take it you're saying that he should not have followed the science and should have ordered mask wearing even when the WHO said not to?

To be honest I was just having a rant about his plans. The mask wearing was just something that came into my head that he was flapping about, particularly when it came to schools. The point I was trying to make (obviously badly) was that he doesn't really need to say he has a Plan A and a Plan B. He could've just said we've got vaccines, we have a plan to prove you've been vaccinated and if that doesn't work, we'll just go down the list again but maybe in a different order.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
To be honest I was just having a rant about his plans. The mask wearing was just something that came into my head that he was flapping about, particularly when it came to schools. The point I was trying to make (obviously badly) was that he doesn't really need to say he has a Plan A and a Plan B. He could've just said we've got vaccines, we have a plan to prove you've been vaccinated and if that doesn't work, we'll just go down the list again but maybe in a different order.
Yes, that about sums him up.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/covid-ministers-plan-c-household-mixing-banned-b961675.html

Plans are being drawn up for a 'plan C' if the plan B mitigations which are expected to come in next month if cases continue to surge, also fails to bring the case numbers and hospitalisations down. Measures would include a ban on households mixing and potentially local lockdowns (probably in the form of a toughened up tier system similar to last winter). This could come in for the festive period where indoor household mixing is generally at its highest.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here