Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] I want to drive a Ferrari

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm approaching 50 not out, and my family are at a LOSS as to what to get me. So I've decided to scratch my midlife crisis itch and make a big scab - I want to drive a Ferrari.

I've always got a semi-on whenever I've seen a 308 (although naturally that will have been down to the aura and manful STENCH of Tom Selleck), but a 328 or summink along those lines. Anyone done a track session, or even (gulp) taken one out for a day ? Can I do it on GROUPON ?

I realise I could look this shit up myself, but its MY birthday, and so its all about ME. All advice gratefully receipted :)

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Why can't you just have socks like everyone else ?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Easily done here in Dubai, if you fancy making a trip part of it too.

Never done it myself, but know a group of guys who hired three supercars for the weekend, and took them out onto some of the desert backroads between the various emirates.

They actually found the Audi R8 far more fun than the Ferrari. The paddle shift and so on actually made the Ferrari really fiddly to drive, and they said they spent most of their time concentrating on how to get it right rather than actually just enjoying it. By contrast, the Audi was simple exhilaration. By the end of the day, they were all vying for turns with the Audi and no-one wanted the Ferrari.

Last edited:

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I think Goodwood has some of that kind of stuff available.

Shame we're not in lockdown anymore. I could have put you in touch with my mate who has a Caterham who evidently had a great time in empty supermarket carparks until he got told to stop.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Pop up to Joe Macaris in a pair of Todds driving shoes and go for a test drive.

Try an ALfa Quadrofoglio or a Maserati, both pretty much the same but for grown ups.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Dunsfold airfield do all sorts of super car driving experience. It's only a couple of laps round the top gear track but is affordable.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
If its for a big birthday then you need to make sure you do that shit properly. For my 40th we went to Italy and visited Maranello to go to the Ferrari museum and factory (although they only let you see the outside) and then take a California up in to the hills around the town. Glorious.

The track 'day' option is ok but that tends to involve a whole lot of waiting around and about 7 minutes of adrenalin in the car.

My dad drove a 355 at Goodwood and the problem was that it was dual control so he could feel the instructor was braking earlier then he wanted.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Why are they such a rip off??

cost of depreciating asset, maintenance, track hire, instructors, insurance.

i looked at hiring one for a couple of days, start at 4 figures.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Of course it's expensive. How much would you want to let some Herbert like Easy drive your fast car round a racing track :facepalm:

And thanks for reminding me I've got one of those car days sitting in my drawer upstairs from pre Covid. Can't remember which cars, but I think it's three from six and I'm sure there's a Ferrari in there :thumbsup:

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
cost of depreciating asset, maintenance, track hire, instructors, insurance.

i looked at hiring one for a couple of days, start at 4 figures.

I understand the cars and their upkeep is expensive but surely they could give you a little longer on a track day? Imagine only doing 3 miles :glare:

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Dunsfold airfield do all sorts of super car driving experience. It's only a couple of laps round the top gear track but is affordable.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

They sure do but the Ariel Atom, Nissan GTR, and the Audi R8 I had a go in felt decidedly shagged out. :down:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
My daughter bought me a Goodwood driving experience and I was excited to get the chance to drive a Ferrari. As it turns out she cocked up and bought me a skid pan experience which I was initially disappointed about but as it turns out was a real eye opener and very enjoyable. In theory I should be able to handle dramas on the road now in the wet or ice. Fortunately I haven’t found out if I can yet :smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here