Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Emigrating advice

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
So in January I am emigrating to The Falkland Islands for 3 1/2 years. (largely to photograph penguins!)
For those people that have emigrated in the past are there any tips or things you wish you knew before you moved?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
So in January I am emigrating to The Falkland Islands for 3 1/2 years. (largely to photograph penguins!)
For those people that have emigrated in the past are there any tips or things you wish you knew before you moved?

Yes. No need to pack extra toothbrushes. Penguins don't have teeth.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Crikey! That's different. Good luck.

Just the obvious things for where you are going - accommodation, doctor, dentist, food, water etc and alternatives if they go tits up. Always have enough money on hand to get out in an emergency and have somewhere to come back to.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can't you just go to Tesco's?

images (5).jpeg

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
1) Get your hula hoops and walkers sensations crispy peanuts delivered via Amazon.
2) Harvey’s mini kegs don’t explode in the hold in your luggage

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Assuming your going to work with the Falklands Govt or some other agency?
As I thought the Bennies / locals didn’t like outsiders.
Spent 4 months there in my RAF days got out a bit around the islands but must admit would not want to return.

3 1/2 years ?? Good luck have you been there before to take a look?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just go on about the improved quality of life on here and to your mates all of the time; this is the best advice I can give.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
It sounds a great adventure and always wishes I was brave brought to do something like that. But is going for a set amount of time actually emigrating? Surely emigrating is moving permanently?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
It sounds a great adventure and always wishes I was brave brought to do something like that. But is going for a set amount of time actually emigrating? Surely emigrating is moving permanently?

This is exactly the sort of pedantry I was hoping to provide on this thread.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Spent 4 months there in my RAF days got out a bit around the islands but must admit would not want to return.

The locals don’t like military types who think they are better than they are. Disrespectful people who call them Bennies.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Crikey! That's different. Good luck.

Just the obvious things for where you are going - accommodation, doctor, dentist, food, water etc and alternatives if they go tits up. Always have enough money on hand to get out in an emergency and have somewhere to come back to.

Thanks - accommodation has been sorted by the Falkland Islands Government and we have been allocated a house. Wife has a "buddy" at her work when we arrive who will help us sort those (and bank account)

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands

Not been there before but researched it lot and looks like my ideal place (barren, not many people, lots of wildlife!)
Wife has a job in the school there. I'll get something when we're out there.
Locals I've spoken to online have all been really friendly and have offered to show me the best spots for wildlife photography when I arrive

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands

You're probably right!

And I can't decide if we are being brave or crazy!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here