Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] *** Leicestershire v Sussex - penultimate CC game ***

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Not seen a thread on this but Sussex are doing OK

225-2 with Brown on 66 and Carter on 18 (FHP off with a damaged hand)

We have the longest of long tails. with Carson at 7 and Hunt at 8

Are there really no batsmen left in Sussex?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Has the Leicestershire stream started yet? Been waiting all day.

I've given up trying to understand their selection policies.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
It definitely wasn't this morning - now it is they have all disappeared.....

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Not seen a thread on this but Sussex are doing OK

225-2 with Brown on 66 and Carter on 18 (FHP off with a damaged hand)

We have the longest of long tails. with Carson at 7 and Hunt at 8

Are there really no batsmen left in Sussex?

It looks like Hinley is an allrounder (at youth level anyway) so maybe he will be 7 or 8.
The idea of hunt , Sarro or crocombe at 8 is just ridiculous. Jacks the lot of them

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Ton up for Ben Brown

Nice innings - although there's nothing menacing in the bowling or the pitch

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Orr
Haines
Brown
Head

That’s a pretty decent top four for next season.
With a new batsman signing going in at 3, and brown moved to 5 it would be even better .
Fhp at 6, Carter at 7 ibrahim 8, garton 9 Carson 10 Finn 11

Last edited:

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Orr
Haines
Brown
Head

With a new batsman signing going in at 3, and brown moved to 5 it would be even better .
Carter at 6, ibrahim 7, garton 8 Carson 9, Finn 10, Atkins 11

That would be a decent side there with promising youngsters. Unfortunately we’ve seen of last of Robson for Sussex, good for him but a huge loss. Your side also missed out FHP, who’ll help the batting look stronger at 6.

May start to see more of Archer, however.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
That would be a decent side there with promising youngsters. Unfortunately we’ve seen of last of Robson for Sussex, good for him but a huge loss. Your side also missed out FHP, who’ll help the batting look stronger at 6.

May start to see more of Archer, however.

Corrected with FHP.
He strengthens the batting nicely and looks a more mature cricketer than the one that left.
As well as a new quality batsman (and captain) I think we need another quality pace bowler as the young seamers havent really pulled up any trees and , as you say, ollie rob has moved onto bigger things. Yes, maybe archer will rebuild his career wearing a Sussex shirt . Of our young seamers I like Atkins the most as he is rapid. Good to get meaker and Claydon off the wage bill.
I’d rather Haines concentrated on his batting next season rather than taking on the demands of captaining Sussex.
Northeast would be a logical option for the new batsman although he’s had a miserable couple of years. As it stands he has availability on his side.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think we need another quality pace bowler as the young seamers havent really pulled up any trees and , as you say, ollie rob has moved onto bigger things. Yes, maybe archer will rebuild his career wearing a Sussex shirt . Of our young seamers I like Atkins the most as he is rapid. Good to get meaker and Claydon off the wage bill.
I’d rather Haines concentrated on his batting next season rather than taking on the demands of captaining Sussex.
Northeast would be a logical option for the new batsman although he’s had a miserable couple of years. As it stands he has availability on his side.

I actually think that, for all the acclaim of the three 17-year-olds, Atkins is the real find of the season. He's seriously quick and to get two five-fers in his first three FC games is a sign of serious talent. I think Crowcombe is decent too but I'm not convinced by Hunt or Sarro.

At the cricket on Wednesday, there was a big discussion about potential signings and Northeast's name was mentioned a lot. A miserable few years is nothing: look at Haseem, he couldn't buy a run for Lancs and is now in the England team. And Sussex have a good record at resurrecting careers - just ask Robinson or Topley or Jordan or Evans ...

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I actually think that, for all the acclaim of the three 17-year-olds, Atkins is the real find of the season. He's seriously quick and to get two five-fers in his first three FC games is a sign of serious talent. I think Crowcombe is decent too but I'm not convinced by Hunt or Sarro.

At the cricket on Wednesday, there was a big discussion about potential signings and Northeast's name was mentioned a lot. A miserable few years is nothing: look at Haseem, he couldn't buy a run for Lancs and is now in the England team. And Sussex have a good record at resurrecting careers - just ask Robinson or Topley or Jordan or Evans ...

Northeast is a curious one. He ruled the roost at Kent, got himself a big move to Hants, and was doing well winning them a trophy. It seemed to fall away very quickly. Any idea why ? I wondered if it was non cricketing reasons.
I can’t think of many others who are available. Gubbins to Hants looks tied up. Whiteley - underwhelming in long form. With the lure of captaincy maybe we could someone better - a Ben Duckett-type character? Wishful thinking maybe.
You mention Crocombe. From what I’ve seen I find it hard to get excited by him. I actually thought sarro’s best spells have been better than crocombe’s. He’s still young but usually the ones that have something show it fairly early on.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Good point. And going back a few years, others have found the sea-air to their liking: Roger Prideaux, Paul Jarvis, Stuart Storey, Arnold Long, Geoff Arnold etc.
Is there a best signing (from another county) of all time?

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Good point. And going back a few years, others have found the sea-air to their liking: Roger Prideaux, Paul Jarvis, Stuart Storey, Arnold Long, Geoff Arnold etc.
Is there a best signing (from another county) of all time?

Ed Joyce
Luke Wright.

Joyce was prolific for Sussex.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Orr
Haines
Brown
Head

Fhp at 6, Carter at 7 ibrahim 8, garton 9 Carson 10 Finn 11
It is - if they haven't been scarred too much by this season. Haines certainly could be a real find. We should never have let Luke Wells go, he would have been ideal as a senior player - another century for Lancashire yesterday*

* Yes, yes, I know it's only his first really.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Hinley and Carson gone in quick succession. This innings could be over pretty quick this morning.

334/6 (really 334/7 if FHP isn't going to bat)

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Hinley and Carson gone in quick succession. This innings could be over pretty quick this morning.

334/6 (really 334/7 if FHP isn't going to bat)
Good prediction.

Foxes reply off to a decent start - looks like a fair match-up. Shame about lots of rain forecast tomorrow but could still be enough time for a decisive result....

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Leics 117/2, Haines taking the second wicket with his own little wobbly seamers.

Charlie Foreman - grandson of Sussex and Albion legend, Dennis - on as a sub :clap2:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Leics 117/2, Haines taking the second wicket with his own little wobbly seamers.

Charlie Foreman - grandson of Sussex and Albion legend, Dennis - on as a sub :clap2:
"Bertie".

Fynn Hudson Prentice has a broken bone in his left hand, and won’t take any further part in the match.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here