Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] THAT Garry Nelson goal

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Who was at Brentford that day? (I'm still looking for footage. It must exist somewhere...)

rebel51

Jan 4, 2021
West sussex
Was indeed,right behind the goal

Enjoyed the late pen too, that he also slotted away

Don't think I've ever seen a better individual goal for us than that one
yeh he always scored special goals. His weaving in and out was something to behold for that goal. I remember that, but can't remember things from yesterday lol.

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
I remember thinking he was going to score, just had that feeling of inevitability about it. Such a shame there's no footage, same with Robin Friday's goal for Reading against Tranmere....

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
yeh he always scored special goals. His weaving in and out was something to behold for that goal. I remember that, but can't remember things from yesterday lol.

My memory is,that he started off near the corner flag

Then went on a massy run,beating at least 4 Brentford defenders

Then hit his shot with such velocity into the roof of the goal.

My memories like that

I remember an absolute cracker he scored against Bristol City too

Genuine Brighton legend

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
He scored some screamers for us I don’t recall the Brentford game but I certainly can remember one at the Goldstone North stand end running into the box before hitting so hard I thought he would take the back of the net out.

I do recall Hemeds goal there and him standing up on the hoarding right in front of us away fans

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
When I first heard about the goal shortly after joining this forum, I found it incredibly frustrating that there wasnt any footage of this often talked about goal and harassed the video nerd at the Brentford forum. No result obviously but plenty of them remembered the goal, and to remember opponent goals more than 30 years, it must have been a special one.

1987 was very much the home video era though - you'd imagine someone recorded it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Who was at Brentford that day? (I'm still looking for footage. It must exist somewhere...)

We played them twice that season and I went to the "wrong" one :rant:

My memories of Brentford in 87-88 therefore consist of walking past a smashed up pub, being kettled outside the ground and nearly getting trampled by a police horse on the way home. :catfight:

I've heard the goal was great though

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle

My memories of Brentford in 87-88 therefore consist of walking past a smashed up pub, being kettled outside the ground and nearly getting trampled by a police horse on the way home. :catfight:

The good old days.......hard to believe it's that long ago.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Went to both, but my memory is messed up around the goal, when I try to picture Nelson scoring at Brentford, I get Nelson slotting it in nearpost, inside the keeper from a ridiculously tight angle, but I keep reading that he smashed it top corner? I was probably pissed.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Best goal ever! That's why I drew Goldstone Gaz (when I could be bothered).
Awesome season and Keeley's save at Doncaster is another for my fading memory!

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
Yes i was there with my dad - i would of been 14 years old - i can still picture the goal clearly - just brilliant .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
When I first heard about the goal shortly after joining this forum, I found it incredibly frustrating that there wasnt any footage of this often talked about goal and harassed the video nerd at the Brentford forum. No result obviously but plenty of them remembered the goal, and to remember opponent goals more than 30 years, it must have been a special one.

1987 was very much the home video era though - you'd imagine someone recorded it.

I think someone got in touch with Brentford to see if there was a club video, but no luck. You'd have thought there'd be local TV news coverage, when they show the goals on a Sunday afternoon.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
You weren't going to carry a video camera into a game. Everyone was searched in those days and you certainly wouldn't be allowed to film it. Was the league game a 1 all draw? I recall singing 'thank you very much for the 6 points Brentford' just before they equalised. Might even seen a rare Steve Penney performance that day.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It was a cracking goal, certainly the best Albion goal I've witnessed.

My other main memory of the game was it all kicking off in an underpass after the game ... although it was scarcely at Millwall levels

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here