Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Lee Bowyer - future England manager?

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Lee Bowyer's CV is getting more and more impressive as each season passes.

- In his first managerial job he got Charlton Athletic promoted into the Championship before the rotten board failed to back him financially and they dropped down on the last day at Leeds. To make a fight of it was an achievement in itself.

- joined Birmingham City where he kept them up last season in the spring when they were deep in trouble with Rotherham having five games in hand and favourites to take the golden 21st spot. Years before that they had always been in a relegation battle.

- early days this season in the Championship but they currently sit fourth after six games with only one defeat and three goals conceded. Last night they beat Derby 2-0 and an interview afterwards of calmness and acceptance that there's still 40 league games still left to play. He never gets carried away.

His interviews are thoughtful, incisive and gets every player on the same page as him with great man-management. I don't think it will be long before a Premier League club comes in after him - probably Newcastle as he played for them and Steve Bruce is losing the faith of Geordies surprisingly.

Could he take over from Gareth Southgate in three or four years time? I cannot think of a better English manager apart from Graham Potter, who attracted Tottenham's interest in the summer and proving his worth. Whether he'd want the England job is unknown but I think Lee Bowyer will go to the top and Leeds would be a better fit for him next.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Haven’t really watched his teams - what sort of football does his team play ?

Is he more of a Chris Hughton or a Graham Potter ?

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
Lee Bowyer's CV is getting more and more impressive as each season passes.

- In his first managerial job he got Charlton Athletic promoted into the Championship before the rotten board failed to back him financially and they dropped down on the last day at Leeds. To make a fight of it was an achievement in itself.

- joined Birmingham City where he kept them up last season in the spring when they were deep in trouble with Rotherham having five games in hand and favourites to take the golden 21st spot. Years before that they had always been in a relegation battle.

- early days this season in the Championship but they currently sit fourth after six games with only one defeat and three goals conceded. Last night they beat Derby 2-0 and an interview afterwards of calmness and acceptance that there's still 40 league games still left to play. He never gets carried away.

His interviews are thoughtful, incisive and gets every player on the same page as him with great man-management. I don't think it will be long before a Premier League club comes in after him - probably Newcastle as he played for them and Steve Bruce is losing the faith of Geordies surprisingly.

Could he take over from Gareth Southgate in three or four years time? I cannot think of a better English manager apart from Graham Potter, who attracted Tottenham's interest in the summer and proving his worth. Whether he'd want the England job is unknown but I think Lee Bowyer will go to the top and Leeds would be a better fit for him next.

IMHO more likely to be considered for us when Mr Potter goes which is likely at the end of the season if we do really well.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I don’t know too much about him other than I tend to think of him as someone who’d fail the no dickheads policy at the club, anyone want to correct me?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
He has said he never wanted to be a manager, just sort of drifted into it, got asked to help out a couple of days a week at Charlton with Academy players, and just took each step as it came without pushing or looking for it. A bit aggressive as a player, seems very calm as a coach.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
He has said he never wanted to be a manager, just sort of drifted into it, got asked to help out a couple of days a week at Charlton with Academy players, and just took each step as it came without pushing or looking for it. A bit aggressive as a player, seems very calm as a coach.

'A bit aggressive' like Hitler was a bit nasty.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath

The style when he came in was definitely Hughton ball but he's kept faith with a lot of the players from then and changed them into a passing team without too much flair. Last night was a good match and he's brought in Troy Deeney from Watford. That's an ambitious signing.

Once Bielsa leaves, the Leeds fans would be happy with him generally. Managing in the Premier will be the ultimate test first but at a club where he can certainly flourish.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Wasn't he involved in some nazi stuff when a player?

He was part of a group out drinking, some of whom committed a racially aggravated assaulted an asian man. He was aquitted of all charges against him, Jonathan Woodgate was found guilty, and one of their party got a few years inside.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
No chance of being England Manager.

Tried all summer to sign Lyle Taylor from Forest who is absolutely hopeless.

Forest would have driven him to Birmingham themselves but couldn't get the strikers in that they were after so had to hang on to Taylor.

He also has a shady history when it comes to race issues. I don't know the guy so maybe he is over all that. The person to ask might be Kieran Dyer

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I watched the game last night. Good positive attacking football. It was a cracking bit of entertainment.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
He was part of a group out drinking, some of whom committed a racially aggravated assaulted an asian man. He was aquitted of all charges against him, Jonathan Woodgate was found guilty, and one of their party got a few years inside.

I thought the prosecution said it wasn’t racist. Then a newspaper (Daily Mail?) ran an article saying it was racist. The case had to stop and a retrial was needed at considerable expense to the taxpayer.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No chance of being England Manager.

Tried all summer to sign Lyle Taylor from Forest who is absolutely hopeless.

Forest would have driven him to Birmingham themselves but couldn't get the strikers in that they were after so had to hang on to Taylor.

He also has a shady history when it comes to race issues. I don't know the guy so maybe he is over all that. The person to ask might be Kieran Dyer

As far as I recall, as an ignorant teenager he split up with a black girlfriend because he was worried about what the kids might turn out like. I think he's from around Eltham* way so the fact he actually even spoke to a black person back then was a bonus.

I think it would be quite unfair to bandy that about as meaningful now.

There was the Majestyk episode of course but given that one of the Leeds team party is black I'm not sure that Bowyer can take a racist rap for that. After that episode he did nothing other than play football, go fishing, and stay at home with his family.

Far too soon to tell how good a manager is but I have no problem with him.

*Edit he's from Canning town and started his career at Senrab. Very difficult to play for them and be racist.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here