Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Twenty Years

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
And in what seems like a blink of an eye it is twenty years since a bunch of misguided zealots decided to end the lives of nearly three thousand people, including Robert Eaton, one of our own.

Don't forget to be nice to one another, and don't ever forget that just because you believe in something passionately it doesn't give you the right to force that belief on someone else.

RIP Robert.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Good post. Yes, whatever side of politics or religious view one has, we should all be tolerant of each other. Those 20 years have gone so quickly.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Good post. Yes, whatever side of politics or religious view one has, we should all be tolerant of each other. Those 20 years have flown by.

Unfortunate choice of words but I wholeheartedly agree.
Twenty years. Probably the worst act of violence most of this generation will ever see. And the impact is still being felt around the world to this day.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Should the Albion wear black armbands today to remember Robert?

Also let’s not forget on this anniversary the other member of the Albion family, Paul Neal, who was working in the building that day but thankfully got out alive.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Unfortunate choice of words but I wholeheartedly agree.
Twenty years. Probably the worst act of violence most of this generation will ever see. And the impact is still being felt around the world to this day.

It was a cataclysmic event, the impact is permanent and irreversible.

The list of intersubjective beliefs that changed or were created is endless and allowed the world to develop in a direction that was seemingly impossible before as there would have been a lot of questioning and resistance. So much of the 20th century culture, beliefs and ideas were wiped out this day and due to the changes in our society since then, there is no turning back.

As people probably know, it was very convenient for those in power, and I believe that those who made this happen will unfortunately never be punished or charged with the murder of these thousands of people.

Skuller

Jun 3, 2017

The list of intersubjective beliefs that changed or were created is endless and allowed the world to develop in a direction that was seemingly impossible before as there would have been a lot of questioning and resistance. So much of the 20th century culture, beliefs and ideas were wiped out this day and due to the changes in our society since then, there is no turning back.

As people probably know, it was very convenient for those in power, and I believe that those who made this happen will unfortunately never be punished or charged with the murder of these thousands of people.

You’ve really got to come out more clearly than that mealy-mouthed stuff. Please expand so we understand exactly what you’re saying. What does “inter subjective” mean anyway? Here we are trying to remember the dead and you’re just stirring.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
You’ve really got to come out more clearly than that mealy-mouthed stuff. Please expand so we understand exactly what you’re saying. What does “inter subjective” mean anyway? Here we are trying to remember the dead and you’re just stirring.

I wasnt entirely sure if this thread was about 9/11 or indeed a remembering those who died-thread. If its the latter - my apologies for discussing the event in broader terms.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Not the day for that discussion.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Edit - not the thread/day for this discussion.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

Not the thread for this - first and last warning.

Can't believe it's been 20 years, thoughts of course with all those who lost loved ones.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
In a world where we have been desensitised to so much over the last few decades it’s an event which still has the power to shock and appal.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Rip Robert. The Robert Eaton Memorial Fund has raised in excess of £ 300 000 since 2001. There is a good piece about it in the Argus today

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I first found out about it via NSC. I was in an internet cafe (remember those?) in Berlin. Someone had posted a thread on here with the title: 'Two planes fly into World Trade Center - Now that's what I call terrorism'.

We didn't feel like doing much for the rest of the day so just went back to our hotel room to watch the footage unfold on CNN. That evening we went to see Radiohead play in a large open-air venue. It was cold and raining and the mood was sombre, except for some people down the front who seemed to be unaware what had happened. So cheery old Thom Yorke told the audience that World War III had started and then played 'Lucky', which contains the line 'Pull me out of the air crash'.

Our flight home the next day was diverted. When the plane was on the runway about to take-off it came to a halt because there was unaccounted for baggage on board. You could have heard a pin drop. The plane was soon surrounded by security vehicles while the suspect baggage was removed.

Apart from Robert Eaton, there was another Brighton fan who used to go to the London meet-ups who was also in the WTC that day but got out. I remember him saying that things had got "pretty hairy". I've found some of the documentary footage shown on TV recently to be really harrowing. It's almost unimaginable what it must have been like. RIP to all those who lost their lives.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I was on holiday in Barbados.

Plan (a) had been New York for that week, but the travel agent had a particularly good Barbados deal which won out.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
I see all the former presidents attended the service except one, yes Trump, who lives in NY ! what a Wanchor

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
I first found out about it via NSC. I was in an internet cafe (remember those?) in Berlin. Someone had posted a thread on here with the title: 'Two planes fly into World Trade Center - Now that's what I call terrorism'.

We didn't feel like doing much for the rest of the day so just went back to our hotel room to watch the footage unfold on CNN. That evening we went to see Radiohead play in a large open-air venue. It was cold and raining and the mood was sombre, except for some people down the front who seemed to be unaware what had happened. So cheery old Thom Yorke told the audience that World War III had started and then played 'Lucky', which contains the line 'Pull me out of the air crash'.

Our flight home the next day was diverted. When the plane was on the runway about to take-off it came to a halt because there was unaccounted for baggage on board. You could have heard a pin drop. The plane was soon surrounded by security vehicles while the suspect baggage was removed.

Apart from Robert Eaton, there was another Brighton fan who used to go to the London meet-ups who was also in the WTC that day but got out. I remember him saying that things had got "pretty hairy". I've found some of the documentary footage shown on TV recently to be really harrowing. It's almost unimaginable what it must have been like. RIP to all those who lost their lives.

Hi Kevo, the person you refer to who safely evacuated the north tower was me. Another NSC member, back then, Zig, helped set up the first REF donation to a team from Queens, NYC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here