Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Car insurance query

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
This morning Mrs H was driving and I was enjoying the scenery when an oncoming car took our wing mirror off (plenty of room for both vehicles to pass).

We stopped, they didn't.

Reported it to the Police and insurance.

Mrs H's subsequent investigations (she loves a good delve) showed the other vehicle isn't taxed. Does anyone know if that makes a difference with regard to the insurers assigning liability ?

Also, anyone got a wing mirror for a Toyota Yaris ?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
How much is it expected to be? Not sure I'd be claiming off insurance for a wing mirror

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
It won't affect liability - however it may affect whether the other car is legally on the road (and therefore whether or not it can actually be 'insured' - they'd likely cancel the insurance if it existed).

Did you capture it on a dashcam or anything (for Police purposes as well as Insurance)?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not claiming off their own insurance, sure - but somebody elses - I see why not (unless you wanted to deal with it privately, which the time has passed considering they drove off)

How would you claim off their insurance without knowing their insurance company, who they are etc? Surely thats what your insurance is for

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
It won't affect liability - however it may affect whether the other car is legally on the road (and therefore whether or not it can actually be 'insured' - they'd likely cancel the insurance if it existed).

Did you capture it on a dashcam or anything (for Police purposes as well as Insurance)?

Oh yes. clear footage that shows the other car's reg.

How much is it expected to be? Not sure I'd be claiming off insurance for a wing mirror

I won't be claiming for it as I have £400 excess and I can fix it for less than £100, but if I can get the cost of doing it off the other feller, then I will.

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
How would you claim off their insurance without knowing their insurance company, who they are etc? Surely thats what your insurance is for

If it's been reported to the police, I would assume that you'd have a registration (How else would they be able to find out that it's untaxed etc)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If it's been reported to the police, I would assume that you'd have a registration (How else would they be able to find out that it's untaxed etc)

But can you simply 'claim' off their insurance? Surely you'd need to take some kind of small civil action against the individual

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
But can you simply 'claim' off their insurance? Surely you'd need to take some kind of small civil action against the individual

If you've reported it to the police, and you have dashcam footage - which they do, then you absolutely can claim off of their insurance (or, your insurance can claim it back from the other parties insurance - as there is clear evidence).

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If you've reported it to the police, and you have dashcam footage - which they do, then you absolutely can claim off of their insurance (or, your insurance can claim it back from the other parties insurance - as there is clear evidence).

And your insurance company won't charge you and excess and won't go down as a Claim?

Regardless in this situation if the vehicle isn't taxed, it isn't insured

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
And your insurance company won't charge you and excess and won't go down as a Claim?

Regardless in this situation if the vehicle isn't taxed, it isn't insured

Correct - it's a no fault claim - therefore you're not going to lose your no claims bonus etc for it... It's the same as any other 'accident' where another party is deemed 'at fault', you shouldn't be unduly penalised for it (however that may not always be the case with these insurance companies)

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Insurance just rang to arrange repair. Explanied situation and that I want to hold off repair until I know whether I'll have to pay the excess.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If they are not taxed their insurance will be invalid. However you can mount a civil action. Don't forget to mention whiplash.

Mrs T was driven into by an oaf last year in my car. However we had cocked up our insurance and found she was not insured to drive my car, while my insurance did not cover her. I ended up paying £3K (the insurer would have written off my car) to get my car fixed.The oaf got wind of this and made up a completely fake incident scenario (different road, different ciircumstances) to justify demanding £1500 off me via his solicitor. I took legal advice (cost £120) and offered the oaf £500 which he accepted like a greedy dog re-scoffing his own vomit.

Last edited:

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I don't know if this was one of those instances but I've lost count of the number of times I've had to drive up a verge or partly into a hedge because the speeding 4x4 coming the other way won't get within a foot of a stray leaf.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
*Misses Enrest's thread about an oncoming vehicle bashing into his but losing a wing mirror*

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
brilliant - I will endeavour to use that in conversation and email at least 3 times during the rest of the day (which as an estate agent will be easy to do)

I was hoping someone would appreciate it :wink: :thumbsup:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Even if there is footage, you still need to show that they were liable, ie they failed to get over or were going way too fast.

As for cost, I replaced a wing mirror on my Yaris for about £60. Got the parts online and the spray paint for the plastic cover from Halfords.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here