Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] 5th Test Match England v India Cancelled

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
India refusing to play until another round of PCR testing done. Today's play suspended, potentially the whole game under threat now.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Obviously hope that nobody in either squad/touring party is seriously ill. I've not heard anything apart from that a few staff on the India side have tested positive so I assume they're not.

That aside, it feels unreasonable and meaningless to give England a win for a game that didn't even start in the first place. Considering the balance of play over the series a 2-2 draw is bonkers.

I'm mainly relieved that Root won't have any more opportunities to bowl anybody into the ground before the end of the summer.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
The forfeit part of the statement has now been removed so India must be disputing it. It seems like Shastri could have caught it at his book launch and then passed it to other coaching staff.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Real shame for everyone with tickets (for the first three days anyway).............

Series should be recorded as 2-1 IMO.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Real shame for everyone with tickets (for the first three days anyway).............

Series should be recorded as 2-1 IMO.

Particularly since by Manchester standards the forecast is pretty dry for the next few days.

If the main reason for this is that they're worried about the IPL, the fairest result would seem to be to record the series as 2-1, but have a whip around in the Indian dressing room to reimburse the £20m or so that this will apparently cost the ECB. And for all the other people who'll presumably be out of pocket for travel etc.

I assume Kohli must carry that sort of cash around, between his BCCI contract, IPL and whatever other leagues he plays in, and his face cream adverts, he must be loaded.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Once again, money talks. You'd imagine this has been done solely with the restart of the IPL in mind.

Absolutely. The players don't want to lose their lucrative IPL contracts and the BCCI don't want their product devalued by not having the best players in the world playing.

It's all about the money. Anybody surprised?

I feel sorry for those who bought tickets expecting to see some Test cricket; I hope the Indians have to compensate the ECB and Old Trafford for the costs they have incurred.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I reckon there are some gamblers and bookies nervously waiting on an administrative decision of where to award the test and series

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Basically everything's gone wrong since "Jarvo 69" got arrested

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Question. Had England chased the runs down at the Oval and been 2-1 up in the series, would India be playing the test?

My feeling yes.

This match has been defaulted. Covid is the excuse. 2-2 in the series

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Interesting to see how they all test to get back to the IPL in time ...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Had tickets for the fourth day. Decided a couple of weeks ago not to go as taking two days off work wasn't practical and I'd have needed a "recovery" day. That's looking a pretty decent decision. Not sure advanced rail tickets are refundable.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I don't think they would. As above, I'm absolutely certain that the IPL would have been the priority for all involved.

Agreed. But I think they'd have been much less worried about the possibility of the match being decided as a forfeit.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Had tickets for the fourth day. Decided a couple of weeks ago not to go as taking two days off work wasn't practical and I'd have needed a "recovery" day. That's looking a pretty decent decision. Not sure advanced rail tickets are refundable.

They definitely weren't the last time I missed my train because the barriers refused to work properly
:angry:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here