Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Wenger loses the plot?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
One of the special things about WCs and Euros are the fact they’re every 4 years - def don’t increase them…!

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
and with Euros and regional equivalents on odd years, so international tournament every year. no thanks.

i dont really believe he thinks its a good idea either, paid to push it by FIFA so they can get more gravy.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
An international tournament every year, that's one month. Preparation for the tournament, another month. A month off during the season. A post-season break, another month. Pre-season training, another month. Tell you what - let's make all leagues into a maximum of 12 clubs and play a 22 game league season. That will leave plenty of time. Perhaps they could even expand the Champions League.

What about the smaller clubs, did we hear someone asking? The clubs that don't play the Champions League, the players who aren't internationals, the ones who won't have a livelihood? What's Wenger's answer to that? I suspect it would be that he doesn't recognise such clubs and players exist, so they don't need to be catered for.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I enjoy the Euros more than the World Cup. A 'no' from me.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
and with Euros and regional equivalents on odd years, so international tournament every year. no thanks.

i dont really believe he thinks its a good idea either, paid to push it by FIFA so they can get more gravy.
You'd think FIFA officials would be aware that if the World Cup is held twice as often, the value of the bribes need to get it will surely drop - perhaps by more than half. They're hurting themselves.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
An international tournament every year, that's one month. Preparation for the tournament, another month. A month off during the season. A post-season break, another month. Pre-season training, another month. Tell you what - let's make all leagues into a maximum of 12 clubs and play a 22 game league season. That will leave plenty of time. Perhaps they could even expand the Champions League.

What about the smaller clubs, did we hear someone asking? The clubs that don't play the Champions League, the players who aren't internationals, the ones who won't have a livelihood? What's Wenger's answer to that? I suspect it would be that he doesn't recognise such clubs and players exist, so they don't need to be catered for.

The Brightons and Burnleys of this world will be mopping up the Premier League and the Cups because they will be the only clubs with players who aren't too knackered or injured to play.

Mitch73

Sep 2, 2021
I’m really surprised at Wenger to be honest. He’s an intelligent bloke. But no-one in their right mind can think this is a good idea. If it’s not broke then don’t fix it. The reason it’s special is because we have to wait 4 years for it, with the bonus of the Euros in between.

Armchair

Mar 3, 2009
Interesting that the proposal was put forward by Saudi Arabia and Wenger is operating out of Doha. More money in the trough for the Geneva based snouts? I can imagine Mrs Merton interviewing Infantino “What first attracted you to the oil rich Middle Eastern States?”

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
I know! Let's have Christmas twice a year! No more waiting 12 months, we can have a 'Summer Christmas' on June 25th! Twice the fun!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
This is probably more to do with a power battle between Uefa and Fifa.

Fifa want a bigger slice of the pie yet the money is mostly in European football. There have been suggestions that Infantino was supporting the ESL, again probably because it would undermine Uefa.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Interesting that the proposal was put forward by Saudi Arabia and Wenger is operating out of Doha. More money in the trough for the Geneva based snouts? I can imagine Mrs Merton interviewing Infantino “What first attracted you to the oil rich Middle Eastern States?”

What's the connection? Doha is in Qatar who aren't on great speaking terms with Saudi.

Wenger is merely pandering to his paymasters who are Fifa.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
95% of FIFA's income comes from the men's World Cup.

To quote Brian Glanville "Sepp Blatter has 10 ideas a day, 11 of which are bad".

& he's Infantino's mentor.

©Football Weekly

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Is there anything in it financially for him? It's the only reason I can think for him doing a complete 180.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wenger’s acting under instructions from FIFA after Saudi Arabia formally proposed the bi-annual format. Staggered he’s taken it on.

I believe it's the t'other way round.

Wenger proposed it a couple of years ago.
Waited for the hubbub to die down.
Shuffled it around some sympathetic (small) FA's all of whom jumped at the chance to be FIFA's mouthpiece.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here