Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Hip pain/hip replacement [probably only for older readers]

exKT17

Nov 27, 2016
Argyll & Bute
Blue 'n' white mentioned his bad hip in his golf clubs post.

I was lucky enough to get a hip replacement just before lockdown, January 2020.

It was life changing: aged 58 I could barely walk 100m, I had the operation conscious with an epidural and 24 hours left the hospital - a fortnight later I walked 35 miles in 4 days.

But here's a cautionary warning to those with hip pain - a schoolfriend of mine had hip pain and ignored it for a while assuming they were wearing out, they eventually examined him, said his hips were fine, did blood tests which revealed he had a cancer of the blood and I'm very sorry to say he was dead within 6 months.

RIP Robin Lee MBE [it was so before his time, he helped so very many people]

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I had a hip replacement March 2019. It was a physiotherapist who told me she thought I needed a hip replacement after I had been to see her because it was a bit uncomfortable and I thought I needed some manipulation.
So I went and made a non urgent appointment to see my GP - it wasn’t painful. That meant a three week wait.
But within a week it had become more painful, so I made an emergency same day appointment just to sort out some pain relief. While I was just expecting some painkillers on prescription, she told me to hop up on the couch. Within 5 minutes she confirmed it was arthritis, and gave me the necessary referral.
I soon received a letter giving me an appointment for three months hence. But was then told by my GP surgery that it would probably be triaged and I would probably receive an earlier appointment. This did indeed happen. This was just before Christmas, and I soon received an appointment for very early January. Saw the Consultant himself - yes, it’s arthritis. We’ll end in touch.
All this time I was on painkillers - Ibuprofen - and so not suffering major pain. I asked about exercise - being fairly fit - and exercise was encouraged…… just keep it (the hip) in a straight line. This I did, and it did seem to work - making things easier.
Got the appointment for the surgery eventually for March 26th, about 3 months after first seeing the GP. On NHS but at local private hospital, which I had opted for as nearest to home. I had the epidural and put to sleep option - not general anaesthetic. This means I went from sitting on the edge of a trolley talking to the anaesthetist at about 8.45 to waking up, seeing a clock which said 10.30 and feeling immense relief that it was all over and I felt totally fine!!!
If I hadn’t been comparatively young for the operation (66 at the time) and fairly fit (regular gym etc), I probably would not have been offered the private hospital, but it was great. Out in three days with physios marvelling at how well I was coping with stairs…. So I was very lucky.

But I TOTALLY endorse the don’t ignore pain thing. I too have known people who have been stoical - oh it’s nothing - and then found out eventually it was something VERY serious.

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
Blue 'n' white mentioned his bad hip in his golf clubs post.

I was lucky enough to get a hip replacement just before lockdown, January 2020.

It was life changing: aged 58 I could barely walk 100m, I had the operation conscious with an epidural and 24 hours left the hospital - a fortnight later I walked 35 miles in 4 days.

But here's a cautionary warning to those with hip pain - a schoolfriend of mine had hip pain and ignored it for a while assuming they were wearing out, they eventually examined him, said his hips were fine, did blood tests which revealed he had a cancer of the blood and I'm very sorry to say he was dead within 6 months.

RIP Robin Lee MBE [it was so before his time, he helped so very many people]

I have been putting off a double hip replacement, and opted for stem cell injections instead in order to kick it down the road. Where did you have it done, and who was the surgeon? From your decription of your fast recovery I assume that it was a minimally invasive procedure?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here