Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Poll- Just vote, No discussion-New NHS and Social Care Tax-Are You OK with it

Are You OK with the new tax

• Yes-

Votes: 76 39.0%
  • No-

Votes: 100 51.3%
  • Not Fussed

Votes: 19 9.7%

• Total voters

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Plenty of discussion on the other thread , so no need to repeat it here.

So, the money has to come from somewhere- are you OK with it coming from the new tax
so :

Yes-
No
Not Fussed

NOT a public vote, so no one can see what you vote for

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I’m an old codger but I’m not happy about it. Having said that I’ve spent my life paying, where’s my money that was for me gone :wink:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
OP this isn't a discussion on the tax, more on the poll.

That no option is grouping together those who are against the tax, because they are inherently "small state, individual responsibility" with those who support higher taxation but that it should come from a different source, eg all pensioners included / corp tax etc. Those are two very different constituencies.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
I’m an old codger but I’m not happy about it. Having said that I’ve spent my life paying, where’s my money that was for me gone :wink:

Do have sympathy with your position Icy, as you are, I am also an old codger though I do believe the NI increase should not just fall on those who have to pay these contributions and a fairer system would have been to increase the income tax rates thereby all tax payers would have been contributing toward social care etc.
I am sure though that with all the expense of fighting the pandemic income tax payers will no doubt be footing some of this bill in the not too distant future.:smile:

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016

That no option is grouping together those who are against the tax, because they are inherently "small state, individual responsibility" with those who support higher taxation but that it should come from a different source, eg all pensioners included / corp tax etc. Those are two very different constituencies.

there are numerous possibly reasons why some are Yes or No, its not practicable to have every reason, just as there are numerous ways to raise the money, borrow, VAT Income Tax, NI, a whole new goods tax, windfall tax on Amazon etc

The thing is, its going to be this new tax, so regardless of the reason for not being OK, or being OK, it is a straight choice Yes I am OK to pay it, or NO I am not

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
a forum, cant not have disucssion...

no, mainly because it doesnt even solve the problem. shifting cap on spending is a shuffling deck chairs, there's no substantial policy on delivery of social care just a slush fund.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
No, because it won't work.

I don't have a problem with paying extra to fund social care properly, but this scheme has been hatched on the back of a fag packet behind the school bogs, and it shows.

The money initially goes to the NHS to pay for the extra costs of the back log due to covid, but there is no way any politician will later reduce the NHS budget by this amount - especially approaching an election year. Social care can whistle for it, but it will never see it.

Also residential care isn't even mentioned in all the headlines about spending caps.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Totally against it

Not because I don't agree that people need to be looked after properly but because I have absolutely zero faith that it will go where it is actually needed

My wife is a nurse and the struggles they have had prior to COVID are staggering. However I am sure a massive amount of this money will go on things such as (business not medical) consultants salaries while they figure out the best spreadsheet to use to schedule patients in

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
No.
And I want proof that the vast majority of the Brexit money is going to the NHS as it clearly said on the bus.
If it is, why have taxes been hiked to get the NHS/care out of the shit.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
a forum, cant not have disucssion...

no, mainly because it doesnt even solve the problem. shifting cap on spending is a shuffling deck chairs, there's no substantial policy on delivery of social care just a slush fund.

There is a thread on this with pages and pages of discussion, so why have a second when there is a perfectly good one going on already. This is just a snap shot on the new tax, yes or no, not on what should or shouldn't have been done-thats for the other thread

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I'm about to retire = no more NI [after a lifetime of paying Employees NI and a couple of years being stiffed for Employers NI too]
I'm getting old and one day just might need a bit of social care.

Maybe someone can help me make my mind up on this tricky response, given my personal circumstances?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I'm about to retire = no more NI [after a lifetime of paying Employees NI and a couple of years being stiffed for Employers NI too]
I'm getting old and one day just might need a bit of social care.

Maybe someone can help me make my mind up on this tricky response, given my personal circumstances?
You're about to be screwed rotten.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Yes.

However, Boris Johnson was able to win the last GE by attracting the votes of his traditional constituency that includes those who wish to grind the faces of the poor, and by attracting working class anti-foreign voters - i.e., a proportion of the poor. So it doesn't really matter what you motivation is, only your actions.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I've voted no because I think it's the wrong tax to increase. If anything, shove it on band of income tax.

Ditto.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There is a thread on this with pages and pages of discussion, so why have a second when there is a perfectly good one going on already. This is just a snap shot on the new tax, yes or no, not on what should or shouldn't have been done-thats for the other thread

I salute your clarity of intention but this is NSC.

I can introduce you to some cats that need herding if you have time on your hands ??? :wink:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Totally against it

Not because I don't agree that people need to be looked after properly but because I have absolutely zero faith that it will go where it is actually needed

My wife is a nurse and the struggles they have had prior to COVID are staggering. However I am sure a massive amount of this money will go on things such as (business not medical) consultants salaries while they figure out the best spreadsheet to use to schedule patients in

Consultants don't look at spreadsheets. Apart from the one they use to calculate the income from their investments.

The real scandal however is the admin. I have some stuff for the bellcheeses at work thread I may post, but it is coming in so thick and fast I am spending most of my time reading and deleting it. The rest* of my time is spent marshalling my will to live.

(Slight exaggeration. I had a lovely afternoon on the beach at Camber today. The sea was a little murky, but very warm).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here