Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Advice on treating new garden shed

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Ok so I've just bought a new shed which is pressure treated. Does it need treating or not?

I've been scouring online for advice but it all seems to be conflicting. Some say leave it for 6-12 months as the timber will need to weather. Some say treat with sealer to protect from uv and water damage. I then look at sealers which are all clear which I don't want and are not specific regarding pressure treated timber or are for anti rot/mould/ fungus which I'm assuming a pressure treated timber is already treated for. So now I'm really confused.

Anyone have any ideas on how to treat new pressure treated wood preferably a stain or dark colour? Water based or oil based product?

Skinners who sold me the shed are giving it the hard sell for Pro Tek Royal Exterior which is £65 for a 5 litre tin. It's only a small 7 x 5 apex shed.

Cheers

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Respectfulness

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Nice bunch of flowers, a box of Ferrero Rocher and you're in.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's a garden shed, buy it a lovely lawnmower.
Or give it something manly like a row of Coffee Mate jars with the lids stuck to the underside of a shelf and fill those with nails, screws, bolts and washers.

You'll have it at "hello".

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I hate to be the grown up, but if it's been pressure treated it should be good for 15 years at least. Pressure treated means sprayed with preservative under pressure, so shouldn't need anything else. Giving it a 'treatment' - painting it from a bucket of some cheap muck from a DIY shop every 5 years isn't a bad idea :thumbsup:

And since I discovered Corrugated Onduline roofing for sheds - sorted.

Or you could try turning it on and off again :wink:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Ok so I've just bought a new shed which is pressure treated. Does it need treating or not?

I've been scouring online for advice but it all seems to be conflicting. Some say leave it for 6-12 months as the timber will need to weather. Some say treat with sealer to protect from uv and water damage. I then look at sealers which are all clear which I don't want and are not specific regarding pressure treated timber or are for anti rot/mould/ fungus which I'm assuming a pressure treated timber is already treated for. So now I'm really confused.

Anyone have any ideas on how to treat new pressure treated wood preferably a stain or dark colour? Water based or oil based product?

Skinners who sold me the shed are giving it the hard sell for Pro Tek Royal Exterior which is £65 for a 5 litre tin. It's only a small 7 x 5 apex shed.

Cheers

Now there's no creosote available anymore, we'll legally.
I know that my mate mixes his old motorbike engine oil with a cheap wood preservative and paint on his shed and fence, worked a treat.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I hate to be the grown up, but if it's been pressure treated it should be good for 15 years at least. Pressure treated means sprayed with preservative under pressure, so shouldn't need anything else. Giving it a 'treatment' - painting it from a bucket of some cheap muck from a DIY shop every 5 years isn't a bad idea :thumbsup:

And since I discovered Corrugated Onduline roofing for sheds - sorted.

Or you could try turning it on and off again :wink:

The eventual arrival of a grown up was well overdue.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I use old engine oil, but I like the rich, dark colour. A new shed won't need doing for a few years. Watch for the greying effect, then you know it's time to get mucky and I prefer the oil based stuff, rather than water based

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I'd give it a year then go for Holzol weather oil.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Cheers

Can’t say much about other products but I used this on Skinners’ recommendation and it works a treat giving your shed a varnished (well protected) finish. Needs a few coats first time but well worth it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here